Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unhapy with Higgins as president.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

mikom wrote: »
    A stole?
    Like a shawl?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

The way I look at it is I don't like Higgins at all, he doesn't really seem like someone you expect to be a good president, mentally hes probably brilliant but he just doesn't have the look.

But if you look at every candidate and think what it would be like if they became president, in every case we would all be thinking "What the f*** were we thinking?" so Micky D the right man for the job.

Out of the other 6 Dana is the only one that I wouldn't think of as a criminal, crook or defender of criminals and Dana is just Dana so why I wouldn't vote for her explains itself.

raymon wrote: »
    I didn't mention SG , why would I ? Let's not go down that quagmire

This thread is about MDH .

Might be better if you sleep it off .

or you

mikom wrote: »
    "by or "buy"?
    Just clearing this up for the other readers.
    Either way I don't know what you are trying to say.

nonconstructive

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

non-constructive

'non-constructive' what? They are normally 2 separate words as in 'non constructive' . Do you mean non constructive unhappy ????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

There's a whole lot of OT nonsense going here. My patience is wearing thin with some posters tbh

Cheers

DrG

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

IBTL from moi :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭cozar

is sabina the new president? judging by the way she spoke on the news last nite it sure looked like it. She said the whole of ireland was in tears and that more than a million voted for michael. He was just looking at her as to say would you just get out of my way i'm da prez.! god i'd say she will have more of a profile then him and she was supposed to have ordered all her gear for the Aras a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

theteal wrote: »
    I agree, it would have been nicer to have a younger more suitable candidate but, eh. . . .there wasn't one!

The best candidate won.

Agreed that the best candidate won. There could have been a better one, though.;)

But she's still too young.
    Toireasa+Ferris.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

FTS wrote: »
    I voted Dana Rosemary Scallon number one, Mary Davis number two and Martin McGuinness number 3. They were my favoutites from following the campaigns from the start. I thought the women presidents of the past did a great job representing the country, as they appear warmer and more inviting, and thought Scallon and Davis could continue. And I KNOW Im gonna get all sorts of "why did you vote for dana blah blah blah" but honestly, out of the 7, i thought they were the best.

GULP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    theteal wrote: »
    I agree, it would have been nicer to have a younger more suitable candidate but, eh. . . .there wasn't one!

The best candidate won.

Agreed that the best candidate won. There could have been a better one, though.;)

But she's still too young.
    Toireasa+Ferris.jpg

She doesn't object to murder or call it murder either, so she's have fallen at the same hurdle that McGun fell flat on his face at on the debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    She doesn't object to murder or call it murder either, so she's have fallen at the same hurdle that McGun fell flat on his face at on the debate.

IMO - P(r)at Kenny led him into that trap. He is one broadcaster/journalist that can't keep his opinions to himself, and remain impartial - which the media are supposed to do.

Liam Byrne wrote: »

IMO - P(r)at Kenny led him into that trap. He is one broadcaster/journalist that can't keep his opinions to himself, and remain impartial - which the media are supposed to do.

What "trap" ? :rolleyes:

It's a valid question, and just like Gallagher couldn't answer his question acceptably, McGun couldn't (or wouldn't) answer acceptably.

That's not Kenny's fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Le King wrote: »
    What I want to know is who were the 100,000 who voted for Mitchell?

Madness.

And what I want to know is who were the 243,000 who voted for ex IRA man McGuinness :confused:

That's what I call Madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Is anyone else unhappy with MDH being elected as president?.

Sure, but the core vote was not for Higgins, it was for someone else, and then a sizeable change happened.

LordSutch wrote: »
    And what I want to know is who were the 243,000 who voted for ex IRA man McGuinness :confused:

Me for one. He'd have been simply reviving and old tradition. Don't forget that.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

Is anyone else unhappy with MDH being elected as president?
    I dont see the attraction towards him, and never had. I didnt even give him a preference. I thought we were supposed to being opting for a new 'modern' Ireland, and we elect a 70 year old? I honestly think that the image of sending out an older man as the representative isnt the right direction we should be going. But I suppose, the Irish people have spoken, and were each entitled to our own opinion, but I just wanted to see if anyone agreed with me.

And the winner of the most retarded post 2011 goes to.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

gbee wrote: »
    Me for one. He'd have been simply reviving and old tradition. Don't forget that.

There is no tradition of voting for ex Provo's to be our Presdient!

Considering his PIRA past, its a disgusting & divisive prospect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I'm not happy with MDH as president, but honestly I failed to see a good alternative. If Cox or Mairead McGuinness ran instead of Mitchell then I'd have had someone who'd I happily voted for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

mary mcaleese was a great president and michael d has a lot to live up too
    She i consider the best president Ireland ever had
    pity she couldn't stayed on as president

What did she accomplish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭eire4

FatherTed wrote: »
    What did she accomplish?

She was involved in a lot of positive out reach with the unionist community which may not bear much obvious fruit now but hopefully will help in persuading enough unionists in time that for all of us in Ireland we can build a better country together rather then divided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Teclo

FatherTed wrote: »
    What did she accomplish?

What has accomplishment got to do with being president?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

Teclo wrote: »
    What has accomplishment got to do with being president?
    accomplishment has something to do with every job

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Mary McAleese achieved that rare feat of looking busy and presidential without achieving anything or offending anybody.

That is the best anyone can do with the role of Irish president. One could argue she should have done more during the 2008 banking crisis which bust the country.

I am afraid I can see Michael D failing ill and dying during his long 7 year term. His election is heading the role back into the retired esteemed politician old folks home, only thing is medicine has advanced and he will get the best care so we will see.

I cannot see an open house Aras like Mary McAleese's 2 terms, which was a good thing, as at that age he just will not have the energy. Pity really!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Colours

To all the doubters and cynics on this thread who can only say that Michael D is "the best of a bad lot" and "an establishment figure" the below link outlines some of the noble ways in which Michael D has stood up and spoken out in the name of human rights throughout the world which is a brave and decidedly anti-establishment stance to take. I admire Michael D and am very proud that he is representing us at home and abroad as our President.

http://brenspeedie.blogspot.com/2011/10/michael-d-higgins-greatest-advocate-of.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

darkman2 wrote: »
    Agree completely OP (except for Dana - not the most progressive vote there). I think people will only realise it when he has to meet another head of state. It's entirely the wrong image.

Also he is very small for 70 years of age. Given the fact as you get older at that age you more and more rapidly get smaller what size will he be in 2 or 3 years time!:eek: It's a silly image all together.

But then the country have voted for that image.
    What happened to Darkman 1?

lemme guess....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

read most of the posts.

Very heartening to see so many, even those who didn't vote for Michael D, wish him well.

As for the minority, well hopefully you'll come round in a year or two.

Personally it's a result I'm deeply happy about. I've always respected him and I think he is the right person, at the right time.

ArtSmart wrote: »
    read most of the posts.

Very heartening to see so many, even those who didn't vote for Michael D, wish him well.

As for the minority, well hopefully you'll come round in a year or two.

Personally it's a result I'm deeply happy about. I've always respected him and I think he is the right person, at the right time.

We will probably have to vote again in a year or two!

Another embarrassment for Ireland, the guy may be the nicest guy in the world but the image he portrays will only help to further make Ireland a laughing stock. I cant wait to see the pics of Higgins meeting foreign heads of state, no doubt he will recite a ****ing poem for them aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭For Paws

Quite depressing to see so many write off Michael Daniel Higgins' Presidency even before he gets started.
    Give him the same chance you'd like to have yourselves.

And as for Dana, the people have spoken, but it won't stop her standing for public office again. Despite the fact that we've said we don't want her, she still thinks we need her.

For Paws wrote: »
    Quite depressing to see so many write off Michael Daniel Higgins' Presidency even before he gets started.

Pleeeeze. How long is this guy a politician? Admittedly he's better than Gallagher [IMO anyway], but otherwise MDH's record speaks for itself and he was way behind until that ambush on Gallagher, so, I think we know what to expect and he certainly does not need any mollycoddling.

Thanks for listening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Is anyone else unhappy with MDH being elected as president?
    I dont see the attraction towards him, and never had. I didnt even give him a preference. I thought we were supposed to being opting for a new 'modern' Ireland, and we elect a 70 year old? I honestly think that the image of sending out an older man as the representative isnt the right direction we should be going. But I suppose, the Irish people have spoken, and were each entitled to our own opinion, but I just wanted to see if anyone agreed with me.

I didnt vote for him and I think that he got a very easy ride in the campaign. He has had many unconventional views on a number of issues over the years. In many senses this is great and shows him to be a free thinker but his views should have been teased out more during the campaign. He played it safe in most debates, only being indirectly critical of Sean Gallagher towards the end - if he had a problem with him he should have been up front and expressed it earlier.

However, on reflection, I think he was the best candidate of those presented to us. To start second guessing the electorate after such a protracted campaign is pointless. He is our president now and I, for one, will look on his positives and support him fully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Another embarrassment for Ireland, the guy may be the nicest guy in the world but the image he portrays will only help to further make Ireland a laughing stock. I cant wait to see the pics of Higgins meeting foreign heads of state, no doubt he will recite a ****ing poem for them aswell.

I dont agree that he is an embarrassment, he will be more focused on culture & the Irish language than I may wish but our cultural past is hugely important & it is also an important part of our future.

That's an absolutely disgraceful thing to say. That kind of talk is the fodder of the stereotypical schoolyard bully. How could you seriously attempt to undermine a person's character on the basis of his or her height or age? Would you utter similar baseness if the person were in a wheelchair or had some other disfigurement? It's just ludicrous and vulgar.

Michael D Higgins has a proven track record of public service to the Irish nation ie us. Sean Gallagher does not. In fact much of what he purports to have done and achieved is yet to be corroborated.

Our President Elect very astutely pointed out on yesterday's lunchtime news on RTE Radio 1 that if it were fitting to appoint a celebrity to the role of president then surely it would have been more appropriate to have held auditions to determine the rightful winner! But of course that is not what the role of president is about at all and I think that very issue has underpinned the strange roller coaster ride which has been the presidential race: there has been a deep misunderstanding by the public and some of the candidates alike about what the role of President is actually about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I was unhappy with the standard of all of the candidates. I guess MDH was the least offensive to most of the voters. Now that he has been elected I'm sure he will represent us well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

I think Higgins will make great president.

He has been very honest all the way through.
    That's what swung it for me .

He is also a lot more modern and radical than his years suggest.

He didn't try to fabricate his resume at any time

We don't need snake oil salesmen promising us jobs .

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭castlepoint

He was not my first choice but now that i see the man ready to take on this role i have no doubt he will do us proud.he is a lot tougher than his demouner would suggest.

dixiefly wrote: »
    He played it safe in most debates, only being indirectly critical of Sean Gallagher towards the end - if he had a problem with him he should have been up front and expressed it earlier.

Did it occur to you that Michael D didn't lower himself to squabble with other candidates because that sort of behaviour is unbecoming of a would be president? This is the fatal mistake which Gay Mitchell made early in the race when he chose to attack Martin McGuinness.

In response to the revelations which Sean Gallagher foolishly implicated himself in on the Frontline program Michael D quite correctly said that it was imperative that these matters be clarified as soon as possible. This was in the interests of us all as a nation. In fact I think this was a failing by the media that they had not sufficiently vetted and scrutinised Gallagher prior to to that point which was a contributing factor in him shooting up in the polls and catching them all on the hop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

he is now our pr man, i wish him well, and beleive he will do us proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭uriah

I voted Dana Rosemary Scallon number one, Mary Davis number two and Martin McGuinness number 3. They were my favoutites from following the campaigns from the start. I thought the women presidents of the past did a great job representing the country, as they appear warmer and more inviting, and thought Scallon and Davis could continue. And I KNOW Im gonna get all sorts of "why did you vote for dana blah blah blah" but honestly, out of the 7, i thought they were the best.

So, sexist and ageist.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

He wouldn't have been my first choice, but then again I think the Presidency is something this little country niether needs or can afford.
    I wish him luck in his term and hope it transpires that he will be the last person to hold the office. I feel the abolition of the Presidency should be put forward in referendum along with the Seanad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

FTS: I believe people who represent core values and principles which I hold dear and have demonstrated a commitment to those proves to me that 'new' doesn't always mean what you think.

To me, Michael D. represents a better Ireland generations have simply not yet brought about. I hope, with him in the Áras, he may set a tone to shift politics in this enlightened, liberating direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Will be interesting to see how he deals with the Unionists next year around July and September time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

The current President of Singapore is a 71 year old, he took over from an 87 year old this year. (yes, you did read that right, 87)

The President of Italy is an 86 year old. (yes, 86)

The President of Austria is a 73 year old.

The President of Israel is an 88 year old. (yes, 88)

you seem to have a bigger problem with the fact that your person didn't get elected OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see how he deals with the Unionists next year around July and September time.

With dignity & respect I presume and hope he gets same in return,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

realies wrote: »
    With dignity & respect I presume and hope he gets same in return,
    He will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

KeithAFC wrote:
    With dignity and gravitas, presumably.

I'm interested in having an Irish President commemorating 1916 who isn't either Sinner or Blueshirt. Having a 'half-party' president might shift the historic tone in new, change-making directions. Probably not, but I live in hope.

sarkozy wrote: »

I'm interested in having an Irish President commemorating 1916 who isn't either Sinner or Blueshirt.

You do know that the Blueshirts no longer exist, right ? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Teclo

As he is our Presidente I will resist from continually expressing dissatisfaction, so I couldn't possibly comment on this... ;)

Is Ireland’s Michael Higgins an Economic Illiterate or a Cynical Hack

Teclo wrote: »
    As he is our Presidente I will resist from continually expressing dissatisfaction, so I couldn't possibly comment on this... ;)

Is Ireland’s Michael Higgins an Economic Illiterate or a Cynical Hack

Anyone who quotes the Daily Mail in order to back up their point is about as credible as Higgins' FF opponent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

sarkozy wrote: »

I'm interested in having an Irish President commemorating 1916 who isn't either Sinner or Blueshirt. Having a 'half-party' president might shift the historic tone in new, change-making directions. Probably not, but I live in hope.
    Labour is one of the oldest parties in Ireland.
    I don't know that your 'half-party' tag is fair. Politically it might be accurate but I think it's an unfair description. Think of them in the round.

Interesting that you chose between SF and FG. The politics of the state has changed since it's founding, or are we back to where we began, FG and SF with little Labour in the mix as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement