Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone out there without a mobile phone?

• 29-10-2011 12:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭

Back in the 90's, when mobile phones became more easily accessible to the wider public, I resisted purchasing a mobile because I didn't want people knowing where I was all the time.....that's right - I was Hep, Daddio! Eventually, I had to give in and purchase an 088 brick for work reasons. I'm just wondering, are there people out there who refuse purchasing a mobile today for similar or any other reasons?

Today, they seem like they've become a need-to-have thing with the multiple functions they provide apart from being a regular phone. I suppose you could even call certain mobiles status symbols or fashion items these days on top of everything else. I still have a mobile but it's nothing spectacular.

"Sent from my Nokia 3210"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

No I use interpretive dances as a means of communication.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Marcus_Crassus

Better get yourself to a doctor if you're positive you're "Hep"..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

I was 3 weeks without one recently, I was better off, definitely less hassled, but I did get one again for the raw convenience of them, so I am now rewired to the world, and work, and people wanting stuff, and "what are you doing now", and could you do me a favour, etc. Does anyone ever ring for just a friendly chat. Maybe that's a 40s thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I only use mine to cook eggs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11uCPYb4a8w

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

joshrogan wrote: »

Dave McSavage is that you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Anyne without a mobile in this day and age are usually trying too hard to be a "rebel" or just a Scrooge.
    I knew a lad that didn't have on cause "they fry your brain" and thaught the Garda were listening to you 24/7 even when the phone was off:eek:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Morse code ftw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Hate them. Wouldn't have one about me. Annoying yolks.

Posted from my iPhone

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I don't, I just hang around everybody I know all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

I resisted getting one for a few years at the end of the 90s because I thought they were for yuppies then finally got one when I opened a student account with AIB my first year in college in '99.

Didn't have one for a year when I was travelling and it was a massive weight off my shoulders (not because it was made of lead...metaphorically, silly!;)). Have a simple Nokia now..the cheapest one I could get and only use it to text to meet up with people. That's it. Never make calls from it and rarely answer my phone (hate talking on the phone). I value my own time and hate it being interrupted by phonecalls and everyone has got the message by now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I was Hep, Daddio!

No you weren't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Have one but pretty much never use it. I top it up by €20 every six months (which I understand is the min you need to keep it alive). Never make calls or texts with it. Just have it for receiving calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭punk77

I refused to get my son a mobile but,due to his constant bawling,I've had a change of heart,and promised to get him one for his 1st birthday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

punk77 wrote: »
    I refused to get my son a mobile but,due to his constant bawling,I've had a change of heart,and promised to get him one for his 1st birthday.

I think you should wait until he's 2. Show him who's boss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

I knew a lad that didn't have on cause "they fry your brain" and thaught the Garda were listening to you 24/7 even when the phone was off:eek:

Given the amount of halluciogenic substances in his system perhaps it wasnt an entirely unfounded belief ?

I always expect the retro-luddite oneupmanship in these threads to reach such a fever pitch that somebody will claim to be using a coin op phone that they wheel around in a wheelbarrow.

Dotrel wrote: »
    I think you should wait until he's 2. Show him who's boss.
    I know,I know.True that,but,though I've tried reasoning with him,he's just not making any sense.

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Given the amount of halluciogenic substances in his system perhaps it wasnt an entirely unfounded belief ?

Though in the late 90's that was a big topical issue with mobile phones. I remember people telling me that using one was akin to sticking your head in an oven. :eek: :o

Though in the late 90's that was a big topical issue with mobile phones. I remember people telling me that using one was akin to sticking your head in an oven. :eek: :o

....and they were giving you their benefit of experience,HOW? From beyond the grave????

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

joshrogan wrote: »
    Well I'll bee...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I know someone who doesn't use a mobile phone.

But he has a GSM base station :pac:

punk77 wrote: »
    ....and they were giving you their benefit of experience,HOW? From beyond the grave????

No, you know the types who believe everything they hear on the news and suddenly become experts on the topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Yes, there were these little flashing things you put on your phone and they were supposed to deal with the radiation

That scaremongering story with the same way as bird flu and swine flu

But someone was making money out of it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

In fairness its not as stupid as those who own a mobile phone but object to the presence of masts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

you people are all walking around with bricks, the mobile phone i use is integrated into a finger ring and transmits a hologram screen on any surface for texting. looks like most of you are living in the dark ages with those awkward large heavy blocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

I believe there is something to the radiation stories regarding phones actually.
    I get blinding vicious headaches when I've been talking on mine.

Come to think of it, the only people who ever ring me are my boss and my girlfriend. Wonder if that has anything to do with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I still use HAM radio and have a CB in my car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

stovelid wrote: »
    I always expect the retro-luddite oneupmanship in these threads to reach such a fever pitch that somebody will claim to be using a coin op phone that they wheel around in a wheelbarrow.

That's grossly unfair, I don't use a wheelbarrow.:(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

zenno wrote: »

The future was now, but it passed. So now its the present, but in another second it will be the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Mike 1972 wrote: »

Only because I know him I completely agree otherwise you would think he was crackers!
    Say no to drugs kids:D

What if they are actually harmful to one's health? Much like the harmful effects of smoking weren't fully understood and denied for decades.

Yakult wrote: »
    The future was now, but it passed. So now its the present, but in another second it will be the future.

I see, it all makes sense now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

I have a big long ball of twine going over to my mates gaff with 2 yoghurt cartons. Paid for itself many times over

Free calls FTW :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

I couldn't live without one tbh- I'd have no friends and no job if In didn't have one!!

I was 11 and in 6th class when everyone got mobile phones for Christmas and with their Confirmation money. I had to wait until I was going into 3rd year before I got one oh the humanity... that was before camera phones and internet on them too though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭InkSlinger67

It seems a little funny to me that over the span of about 15 years the popularity of mobiles has done a complete 180 degree turn i.e. back then regular folk looked down a little on people who had them - I think the term was "yuppie" when mobile owners were spoken about.

I'm not saying the majority who have them now are looking down on those who don't. But those who don't have them are seen as out of touch in some way or another. There's no doubt that the materialistic among us do see them as something to be praised in an incorrect way.....isn't this the reason why Steve Jobs is considered a "genius" by some.

mikemac wrote: »
    Yes, there were these little flashing things you put on your phone and they were supposed to deal with the radiation

That scaremongering story with the same way as bird flu and swine flu

But someone was making money out of it ;)
    Actually they are guaranteed to increase radiation because the phone normally uses as little power as possible to increase battery life. When you apply a shield to a phone it ramps up the power to get through to the base station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Mobile phones are so passé.

Telepathy is where it's at. :cool:
    Mind you the precognitive thinking is a bit tricky. I usually turn it off.

worldwide almost all adults who live within range of a telephone mast now have a mobile phone.

http://www.wirelessintelligence.com/analysis/2011/09/global-mobile-connections-to-surpass-6-billion-by-year-end/
    Total global mobile connections are set to surpass 6 billion by year-end, according to the latest Wireless Intelligence forecasts, a landmark which would mean the industry has added the last 1 billion connections in just 16 months. Wireless Intelligence estimates that the 6 billion milestone will be reached in late November and that total global connections will end the year at 6.07 billion.

The latest census estimates predict that the world’s population will also reach a major milestone soon, surpassing 7 billion people worldwide in October 2011. This implies a global mobile penetration rate of 86 percent

http://gigaom.com/2011/09/08/6b-mobile-connections-by-the-end-of-2011-wow/
    Here are some interesting tidbits from the report.

* The Asia-Pacific region will rise to account for 50 percent of all connections by year-end.
    * Two-thirds of the Asia-Pacific total relates to China and India. Both countries are projected to have over billion connections each next year.
    * Six of the world’s top ten largest mobile markets will be in Asia-Pacific.
    * By the end of this year, Africa will overtake the Americas as the second-largest regional market with 648 million connections or 11 percent of the total.
    * Eastern Europe will become bigger than Western Europe in terms of connections.
    *GSM is expected to account for 73 percent of global connections in the fourth quarter, followed by WCDMA/HSPA (16 percent) and CDMA (9 percent)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I have one but its just an alarm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭shannie

I think everyone kind of needs a mobile phone these days, if not by means of communication, then by means of safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭The House Of Wolves

As a teenage girl, everyone uses their phones during class for facebook and the like. Why bother your head? It's still going to be there when you get home. I have one of those Tocco phones everyone had a few years ago, I constantly get comments like "oh, remember when that phone was popular, why don't you get a new one?"
    It serves me just fine, I have much better things to be spending my money on rather than some yoke with 'direct access to facebook and twitter' that eats up your credit.
    I use it for texting (hardly ever. I have sent 5 texts since I cleared my sent box 2 weeks ago and two of those were to check my balance .___.) I've recieved 6.
    5 of those from my parents.

I'm so popular!

Mobile phones are great. I've no shame in admitting I heavily use mine: net access, maps, texting and games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Dotrel wrote: »
    Have one but pretty much never use it. I top it up by €20 every six months (which I understand is the min you need to keep it alive). Never make calls or texts with it. Just have it for receiving calls.

Hmm I thought it was €5 every six months min opposed to €20, I may be wrong. I do sometimes wish I didn't have a phone, email or social networks I would be a lot happier, all I'd want is a laptop, internet and mobile internet device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I have a big long ball of twine going over to my mates gaff with 2 yoghurt cartons. Paid for itself many times over

It'll start getting complicated if you ever get another friend.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

I use smoke signals when I run out of credit.

I use smoke signals when I run out of credit.

I thought carrier pigeons would be more your style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

The first one I had was when my mate went to the Americas for the summer,so I minded it for him.

One day i was having a nap in my bedroom so I left it on the window sill and after a while it vibrated and I thought the biggest Wasp in the world had flown in my window. Jeez the panic I had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭ROFLcopter

Anyone remember having pagers, a couple of my friends had them during the early 90's, then I got this and I was super cool......funny, I can't imagine not having a phone with internet access now.

ROFLcopter wrote: »
    Anyone remember having pagers, a couple of my friends had them during the early 90's, then I got this and I was super cool......funny, I can't imagine not having a phone with internet access now.

What did a pager actually do? Could you respond to the person paging you in any way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement