Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Later with Jools Holland thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

Does the show advertise future performances? If so, any gems coming up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭thesultan

Before the last song Jools tells who's on the following week

• Registered Users Posts: 3 guitar_whizz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I remember seeing Terry Hall on Jools Holland one of the nights Suede were playing. Tuned in to check out Suede but ended up hearing Terry Hall singing 'No No No' and bought the album the next day. Song is very simple but there's just something about his voice that makes it great. Nice backing singer as well. Shame the video is slightly out of sync.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Had the luck to get tickets for that show with Lana Del Ray (also Peter Gabriel with that New Blood Orchestra and Jesca Hoop, Ghostpoet, Noah and the Whale, The Horrors and someone else I can't remember!!). Twas pretty cool I have to say, fecking legs were sore as you have to stand for ages, and have no drink.. hoping to get tickets for the Nov 22nd show..they literally email you two days in advance.

Loved Camille who was on a few weeks ago, you could tell Jools adored her.. glad there's a thread now about Jools!

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kellso81

Not a Mary J Blige fan but this always sticks out:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭bullpost

Theres been some great performances over the years from R&B type artists. They always sound much better on the show than on their often over-produced records.
    kellso81 wrote: »
    Not a Mary J Blige fan but this always sticks out:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Had the luck to get tickets for that show with Lana Del Ray (also Peter Gabriel with that New Blood Orchestra and Jesca Hoop, Ghostpoet, Noah and the Whale, The Horrors and someone else I can't remember!!). Twas pretty cool I have to say, fecking legs were sore as you have to stand for ages, and have no drink.. hoping to get tickets for the Nov 22nd show..they literally email you two days in advance.

Loved Camille who was on a few weeks ago, you could tell Jools adored her.. glad there's a thread now about Jools!
    I've applied the last few seasons and have never get any response.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Watched the show last night....

They had on Metallica with Lou Reed....

It was a disaster....It sounded just awful.....It was cringing to watch....

Next week I think they are having back some of the bands they had on throughout the year..

2 weeks time should be great.....They have Red Hot Chilli Peppers....And Noel Gallagher will also be on it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

SexyGuy wrote: »

Out of the frying pan, into the fire...
    2 weeks time should be great.....They have Red Hot Chilli Peppers....And Noel Gallagher will also be on it...

It was a disaster....It sounded just awful.....It was cringing to watch....

Next week I think they are having back some of the bands they had on throughout the year..

Do you have a schedule of some kind? I'd love to have one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it's a shame biffy never got asked when they actually had great songs, still this is a pretty good performance, breakdown is classic biffy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Love this one from a few weeks back -

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭paulosham

One of my favourites was Television playing In World in the early 90s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Is himself not on tonight? Bjork's scheduled for the last show and once again I've got a delicious solitary beer chilling for the occasion but it's not on my Sky guide yoke...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOhrhySua48

Seen these lads on the last series.. then ended seeing them in Bruxelles when they supported bon jovi in the rds earlier in the summer...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOhrhySua48

Seen these lads on the last series.. then ended seeing them in Bruxelles when they supported bon jovi in the rds earlier in the summer...

http://mcd.ie/home/fn.php?c=6100392&ar=vintagetrouble

Technically not a rock act , but she was fantastic when i seen her do this song

Björk was unreal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭bullpost

Will look forward to seeing that when full show is on at the weekend. Have the new album and have enjoyed it so far.
    El Pr0n wrote: »
    Björk was unreal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Björk was unreal!

Agreed, although I still don't like her voice very much, but the music's just so great!
    RHCP were dire. I just kept thinking that Flea and Chad should just go find another project. Maybe with John Frusciante :P Actually, that's the real shame about RHCP for me, that each of the four members (as in, with Frusciante) are all actually great and talented and work well together as a band, but it seems they've just run out of things to say, lyrically and musically.
    Have to say I didn't dislike Noel Gallagher's song as much as I expected to, but that could be because I was expecting something similar to Beady Eye, and Noel's efforts are far greater than those of his brother.
    Gillian Welch was good, I really like that song on the record, but on Jools it didn't grab me the same way. Not sure why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,759 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Sinfonia wrote: »
    Agreed, although I still don't like her voice very much, but the music's just so great!
    RHCP were dire. I just kept thinking that Flea and Chad should just go find another project. Maybe with John Frusciante :P Actually, that's the real shame about RHCP for me, that each of the four members (as in, with Frusciante) are all actually great and talented and work well together as a band, but it seems they've just run out of things to say, lyrically and musically.

They were terrible last night and have been terrible for a long long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

They were terrible last night and have been terrible for a long long time.

Oh I agree, I just can't get over how far they've fallen since Blood Sugar Sex Magik; seems to me there's no reason that potential should have disappeared other than laziness on their part and/or a complete lack of new ideas. A shame is all. Another bout on the aul' heroin would do them a power of good : P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

noel gallagher tonight on jools fcuking brilliant

with bjork and the chillie peppers:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Bjork is amazing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Bjork is amazing!

She is.. I cant believe she is 46 now.. ( man I must be getting old too)

Anyone else notice Flea doing the celebration dance from Crash Bandicoot? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,087 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Sinfonia wrote: »
    Oh I agree, I just can't get over how far they've fallen since Blood Sugar Sex Magik

that was 20 years ago - how many bands are still producing quality music 20 years after their peak? It only took McCartney 15 years to go from Abbey Road to the Frog Chorus.

I just wish they'd put on some shirts...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

I didn’t think they were terrible live, just that the 3 songs sounded all the same to me, I presume there all off the new album. The sound they had was faultless.

Yeah I ‘d have to agree with the t-shirt thing, in a studio environment it’s cringe worthy.

I was well impressed with Noel Gallagher, I don’t even like him.

Couldn’t stand Bjork though.

Advertisement