Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinion on this build

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Hold on for the Gurus to show up about that processor.
    What graphics card are you using?

If I were buying a motherboard today, I'd get one with USB 3.0. Is there any reason you picked that one?

Do you need the cooler? Are you going overclocking your CPU?
    For like €40 more you could get the 2500k which gets to about 4.3/4.4 GHz on standard voltage.

Also consider looking for a 7200RPM HDD

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Not really :P

-Old CPU and motherboard, get sandy bridge instead. Either i5-2400 + H61 motherboard or i5-2500k + P67 motherboard if you want to overclock.

-RAM is out of stock

-Green hard drive for boot. You want a faster drive, either a 7200rpm or an SSD.

-Massively overpriced PSU. The XFX 650W is almost half the price and will be just as good basically.

-No graphics card. Why are you getting a 650W PSU if you don't have a graphics card :P

-Case is ok, but there are better choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Yea I forgot about graphics, looking 2gb graphics

What would you recommend for €650 inc win 7

Nibs05 wrote: »

Why 2GB?
    You running huge resolutions?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Why 2GB?

Might be no harm I've seen reports of vram usage of over 1gb for a fully maxed out hd texture patched crysis 2 and battlefield 3 even at fairly moderate resolutions like 1920x1200.

• Advertisement

Why 2GB?

I'm playing it safe with a 2gb graphics card, I want to run hi res simulaters and feel that the 2gb will help run these smoothly. Also future prof aswell so I don't come back in a few years needing upgrades.

I'm playing it safe with a 2gb graphics card, I want to run hi res simulaters and feel that the 2gb will help run these smoothly. Also future prof aswell so I don't come back in a few years needing upgrades.

Its the memory and clock speed on the card that affects the performance the most.
    The memory amount mostly relates to the screen resolution you are using.
    By all means get the 2 gig, but be sure to get at least DDR5 memory with a 1000MHz clock memory and at the very least 800Mhz core clock speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭thysol

Its the memory and clock speed on the card that affects the performance the most.

Sorry, but that is Bull****. According to your logic the Geforce GTX 560 Ti with with 822MHz would be faster than a Geforce GTX 570 with 732MHz.:rolleyes:

Yeah, your general point is right. There are a lot of cards that are slower with 2GB than other cards with 1GB.
    By all means get the 2 gig, but be sure to get at least DDR5 memory with a 1000MHz clock memory and at the very least 800Mhz core clock speed.

Interesting recommendation, the fastest single-GPU atm (Geforce GTX 580) has 772MHz core clock, so according to your logic he shouldn't get it just because it doesn't have >800MHz core clock. Hmm, what GPU should he get if the best isn't good enough?:rolleyes: Oh yeah, a slower one because it has a higher core clock.:rolleyes:

@Thread Starter
    Why buy that old CPU? Get Sandy Bridge and 1155 board.

Yea I looking at this today, I think it fits my needs.

http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=52416&agid=1156

Yea I looking at this today, I think it fits my needs.

http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=52416&agid=1156

Way too dear. For the same money you get a considerably faster Geforce GTX 560 Ti with 1GB of memory:

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=43719&agid=707&pvid=4n0aaosoh_gud2y0qu&ref=13&lb

• Advertisement

Nice attitude thysol.

What's your maximum price OP?

Your looking at about €250 + Shipping for a 2GB 560 Ti in Ireland.
    Hardwareversand have them for about €220 but they are out of stock.

Not many 2GB cards around really. You could be better off just looking down this list and picking the first card that you can afford.
    Do a little digging obviously, pretty much Google "<Card Name> benchmarks" and see what you get.

Nice attitude thysol.

Not many 2GB cards around really. You could be better off just looking down this list and picking the first card that you can afford.
    Do a little digging obviously, pretty much Google "<Card Name> benchmarks" and see what you get.

Thanks for advice but I will get the Gtx 560 ti
    I will do a new list tommorow after the advice and help from the posters.

Nice attitude thysol.

Well, the GTX 560 Ti 1GB is about 10-20% faster than the GTX 560 2GB. So why get the 2GB version of GTX 560?
    Thanks for advice but I will get the Gtx 560 ti
    I will do a new list tommorow after the advice and help from the posters.

Good choice.
    Nice attitude thysol.

What do you expect? You posted something that was to 90% wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

HD6950 2GB anyone?

- performance ~560Ti and twice the Vram for the same price.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    HD6950 2GB anyone?

- performance ~560Ti and twice the Vram for the same price.

Yeah, would be a an "ok" choice, and the Thread starter would have his 2GB VRAM if he so badly needs it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

2500K is what you want.

Edit: $"^T*$%£$ :mad:
    These hard drive prices are pissing me off. It's very hard to recommend any drive now.

Edit 2: How about getting a 128GB SSD?
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=46110

HDD prices should come down again in a few months. 128GB isn't a lot by today's standards if you're installing a load of games but it should be okay with some management.

thysol wrote: »
    What do you expect?

Courtesy.

Advertisement