Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Pay as You Go Smartphone with €6.99 Data Option Tethered to Netbook? Possible??

Options
  • 29-10-2011 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I've previously had little interest in getting a smartphone, as without internet access they seemed quite limited and with most internet options being about €40 a month it seemed terrible value for me (I'd be a very light phone user, spending less than €10 a month)

What I would be interested in is basic mobile internet access with the ability to connect to my netbook which I pretty much always have with me when travelling.

Am I right in saying if I got a Pay as You go Tesco Smartphone, I can get 30 days/1Gb of Data for €6.99 that I can use via my netbook connected to smartphone?

Tesco seem ok with you tethering devices:

http://www.tescomobile.ie/data-bundles.aspx

And I'd probably just be looking at a fairly basic smartphone such as this:
    http://shop.tescomobile.ie/phones/displayPhone.aspx?p=104

I know little about smartphones, I'm hoping I could connect via usb and just use the phone much like a 3g dongle?

Can someone confirm if this is possible and also what kind of quality of connection I'd be looking at doing this? I'm assuming it would be similar to a 3g dongle?

I currently have a Meteor dongle which is €3 a day for internet access but this would seem to be a superior option if I'm understanding it correctly:)

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Tesco Mobile: Paul

Yes, we allow tethering to your phone where you can use the allowance from your data bundle.

Android phones will allow you to tether via wifi broadcast from the phone so no need for further cables.

You can also tether by USB but personally I find the Wifi option handier. i will sometimes connect the phone by usb to charge it while using the wifi tethering

regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭blobert

Yes, we allow tethering to your phone where you can use the allowance from your data bundle.

Android phones will allow you to tether via wifi broadcast from the phone so no need for further cables.

You can also tether by USB but personally I find the Wifi option handier. i will sometimes connect the phone by usb to charge it while using the wifi tethering

regards
    Paul

Thanks very much Paul!

I figured tethering by USB might be faster and also allow me to charge the phone at the same time. I'd imagine the phone might use more power with wifi broadcasting on.

What kind of quality of speed/connection I'd be looking at doing this? I'm assuming it would be similar to a 3g dongle?

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

blobert wrote: »
    What kind of quality of speed/connection I'd be looking at doing this? I'm assuming it would be similar to a 3g dongle?

Generally speaking, yes. While I haven't used Tesco, I have used some of the other providers and it is really not much different to a 3G dongle. It all depends on your location and signal strength.

As a side note, from what I read on the Tesco website, that data is an add-on. So it looks like you need a phone package to add it to, perhaps Paul could confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

OP, just bear in mind Tesco are limited to 1.3mbps on O2' 3g network , this is due to change in early 2012 afaik??.

1.3mbps would still be fine in strong coverage area's obviously..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭blobert

Thanks Guys,

I think it's fine to add to a Pay as You Go Plan: "you can add a data bundle to your Pay as you go or Capped monthly plan."

How come the speed is limited? Is that certain to improve?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Tesco Mobile: Paul

Yes it's a technical limitation at the moment that is planned to be removed next year.

Cheers
    Paul

Advertisement