Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom NGB has died

Options
  • 29-10-2011 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭

I live in Shannon and my NGB broadband died a death yesterday and we can't even load a simple web page. I've turned on and off the router many times and it still doesn't help it. I work from home and refuse to pay any more bills until this is sorted. The service even when it works is not as fast as guaranteed.

Huge rip off. I will be leaving eircom soon as they are simply unreliable.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I believe that no eircom DSL service is 'guaranteed' in any way. Looks like you have a dodgy router, borrow one elsewhere and test it. Plug it straight into socket no filter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

I live in Shannon and my NGB broadband died a death yesterday and we can't even load a simple web page. I've turned on and off the router many times and it still doesn't help it. I work from home and refuse to pay any more bills until this is sorted. The service even when it works is not as fast as guaranteed.

Huge rip off. I will be leaving eircom soon as they are simply unreliable.

Hi Homerun_homer
    I can see no current issue with connection or sync has service been resumed? Have sent this for further investigation. It appears that your line qualifies for approx 12Mb and is set to deliver this speed, are you receiving lower than this?
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Hi Homerun_homer
    I can see no current issue with connection or sync has service been resumed? Have sent this for further investigation. It appears that your line qualifies for approx 12Mb and is set to deliver this speed, are you receiving lower than this?
    Tony

Yes, apparently the speed has increased based on speed tests but this isn't good enough when the Internet on any device in the house comes and goes in quick waves. One minute I'm browsing a simple web page and the next and I can't click into anything. Never mind the amount of times I have tried to download something and failed because the Internet dies. I don't know whether this is a router problem or what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Yes, apparently the speed has increased based on speed tests but this isn't good enough when the Internet on any device in the house comes and goes in quick waves. One minute I'm browsing a simple web page and the next and I can't click into anything. Never mind the amount of times I have tried to download something and failed because the Internet dies. I don't know whether this is a router problem or what.

Hi homerun,

I've taken a quick look at your broadband connection and router. The connection is syncing well at 12Mb, with quite good attainables rates. It is also connecting solidly across our Auth servers.

When I looked at your router I could see your computer connected over Ethernet. No other devices are connected. I tried resolving some external websites from your modem and did notice some slow response times on a few. This led me to check what DNS servers you're using and I see that you've changed this to Dynamic DNS.

This may be the reason for your Internet browsing problems. There is no real problem using 3rd party DNS servers, though we'd prefer you to use our own DNS servers when you're on eircom's network. The main reason for this is that eircom's DNS servers are highly designed and recent improvements have proved that they will give you faster query resolution times. There are occasions when this may vary slightly though, in the main, we believe eircom's improved DNS servers are vastly superior to others.

This may be where your Internet browsing problems are, so have a go at replacing your DNS settings on the router with eircom's DNS servers (below).

Settings

Primary DNS:
    Secondary DNS:

The other thing I wanted to mention is that I see some room for increasing your current speed from 12Mb to perhaps 17Mb.

Let me know if you'd like me to increase the speed and I can do it right away.

Cheers
    Ant

I'm not that technical to know how to have changed to a 3rd party DNS Server. This is all news to me.

I googled how to change it on my Mac but not sure if that means it's fixed or if I did it right.

Update; so far sites still lag and streaming video from sites like 4OD stalls too often.

• Advertisement

I'm not that technical to know how to have changed to a 3rd party DNS Server. This is all news to me.

I googled how to change it on my Mac but not sure if that means it's fixed or if I did it right.

Update; so far sites still lag and streaming video from sites like 4OD stalls too often.

No problem Homerun_homer,

If you'd like, I should be able to change your DNS from here.

Regards,
    Ant

P.S HOMERUN,

BTW, you may have a few more devices connected, which may be another reason for your slow Internet /browser:
    192.168.1.1 28:6a:ba:7b:83:3b Ethernet Active n/a
    192.168.1.2 04:1e:64:ef:1d:90 802.11 Active n/a
    192.168.1.3 78:d6:f0:9d:8a:d9 802.11 Active n/a
    L-037908-P11 192.168.1.4 00:27:10:e7:88:70 802.11 Active n/a
    Wireless is On
    _Wireless_Service
    eircom6467 ****
    WPA-PSK
    Host Name IP Address MAC Connection State
    L-037908-P11 192.168.1.4 00:27:10:e7:88:70 802.11 Active

When testing for slow speeds, test with just one computer connected to your modem. As said, you're using someone else's DNS on eircom's network. It may be best to change this back to eircom, and test with eircom's DNS, before coming to any conclusions about eircom's network. Ensure you Temporarily shut down completely all other devices when your testing your broadband speed.

Just let me know if you'd like me to change your dns on the router remotely.

Cheers
    Ant

Hey Ant,
    Please change it if you can. I have no idea how the DNS server would be changed as it is something me nor my housemate would know how to do or have any reason to.

Thanks.

Just an update.

Speeds have not improved. Youtube and tv websites that stream their content still stall and are slow to load. Last night any laptop or device using the internet was booted off while the modem lights still flashed as normal. It took a few minutes until the wifi started working again.

Decision made. I'm definitely cancelling eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Decision made. I'm definitely cancelling eircom.

Hi homerun_homer,

Apologies we did not get back to you sooner. If you need guidence to change your DNS settings the best thing to do is contact technical support on 1890 260 260. An agent can go through it with you step by step.

Before increasing the speed after the technican was out we wanted to monitor the connection over a few days to instre the signal was stable.

Can you confim the speed and connection has been steady your end since the tech was out?

Thanks, Mark

Advertisement