Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Biographies

Options
  • 29-10-2011 2:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

What are the best sports biographys out there. Goin into to buy one in a while so reply asap, please and thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Depends on what sports you like. I would strongly suggest Muhammad Ali: his life and times by Thomas Hauser

The Death of Marco Pantani by Matt Rendell is also a great read

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I was recommended "The Sweet Science" by A.J. Liebling by a friend a few years ago. It's been sitting in my basket on Amazon for ages now. Have never gotten around to it but everything that I've heard about it suggests that it's a very good read.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭shamcfc

Lance armstrong

End of thread:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Lance Armstrong in a thread about sports books?:(

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

Ok a stretch from "sports" but Chris Jericho, the WWE wrestler, wrote two great "sport entertainment" books. A Lion's Tale and Undisputed. Hilarious and a good read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Only a Game?: The Diary of a Professional Footballer by Eamon Dunphy is an excellent read.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭eire4

I thought Paul McGrath's biography was quite revealing. I liked Neil Lennon's also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭Genghis

Try Andre Agassis 'Open'. For me the definition of a good sports book is one which you do not need an interest in the sport to enjoy; one where the personal, human interst element makes the book. This one fits that bill.

Others I have enjoyed were Seabiscuit (horseracing) and We Were Young & Carefree about cycling legend Laurent Fignon.

Plan to read 'Engage' by Paul Kimmage as my next sports bio. Highly rated story about Rugby (again a sport I don't have a huge interest in); his autobiography 'Rough Ride' is grreat too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Would highly recommend 'Cloughie' - love him or hate him, Brian Clough's story is rivetting. He achieved things in the game of football that will simply never be done again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭mickoregan

If you're a Yankee fan, or even just a baseball fan and a Yankee-hater, Joe Torre's THE YANKEE YEARS is a must.

Advertisement