Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jimmy Saville Dead at 84

• 29-10-2011 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Just in

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Oh no :(

Jim'll Fix It R.I.P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Very very very sad.

I'm a DJ, Jimmy Saville was the very first man on the planet to ever hook up two turntables to a soundsystem and charge people in the door to hear records being played with no live bands. Revolutionary at the time - this was the 1940's. First guy to ever hook up two turntables so he coul play records seamlessly intro-to-outro.

He's the father of my trade, and he dressed like a boss.

RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

ows about that then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Any sources? I always hated the theme music because the kids in school would sing it at me mocking me :mad: (my name is Jim)

But i loved that show.

Rest in peace good man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

RIP jimmy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭username_x

he would of been 85 on Monday.. tragic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Rip to JS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭username_x

Any sources? I always hated the theme music because the kids in school would sing it at me mocking me :mad: (my name is Jim)

But i loved that show.

Rest in peace good man.

Sky News website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Dunno but he seemed like a man that lived his life to the full.

RIP Jim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

But i loved that show.

Rest in peace good man.

There's an article here.

Sad news. He actually had a personality, which is a lot more than can be said for many of today's TV presenters/Clebbs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16099015. RIP.
    Veteran broadcaster and charity campaigner Sir Jimmy Savile has died at his home in Leeds, according to Sky sources.

He was aged 84.

Police were called to his home at 1210 on Saturday, where they discovered his body.

His death is not being treated as suspicious.

Born in Leeds in 1926, the youngest of seven children, Savile will perhaps be best remembered for the wildly successful seventies TV series 'Jim'll Fix It'.

Thousands of children would write into the show in the hope of having their wishes granted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

Shiny shellsuit sales are gonna be hit unless fans buy them in his honour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

RIP Jimmy

Kids, cigars can kill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Shatstand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

He's with the Duchess now

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Ah no.:( RIP Jimmy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

A legend.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

He invented wearing tracksuits for non sporting purposes

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭sidneykidney

Sad news, RIP Jimmy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

RIP Jimmy S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

A true legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Great auld character - fond memories of Jim'll Fix It on a Saturday with your tea of sausages and spaghetti hoops. :)
    He lived a very full life it seems, from when he started working in the mines aged 14, and lived to a great age. Fare thee well Sir Jim. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Clunk click on his final trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

kids, cigars can kill

Jaysus if so, 84 isn't a bad innings. I just might start smoking them.

Anyway RIP, he was a harmless oul sort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

RIP but came across as a very wierd man. Has no one seen that doc on him? Strangely odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

RIP but came across as a very wierd man. Has no one seen that doc on him? Strangely odd.

Eccentric is the term.

He also for several years raised money for the Central Remedial Clinic in Dublin. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Very very very sad.

I'm a DJ, Jimmy Saville was the very first man on the planet to ever hook up two turntables to a soundsystem and charge people in the door to hear records being played with no live bands. Revolutionary at the time - this was the 1940's. First guy to ever hook up two turntables so he coul play records seamlessly intro-to-outro.

He's the father of my trade, and he dressed like a boss.

RIP.

Agreed, the guy had a moment of ingenuity and artistic creativity that changed music for a lot of people.

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭omerin

RIP, used to love that show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Total legend, all those saturday nights watching him make dreams come true!

RIP Jimmy!

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭stephen_k

Sad day! Used to love the Jim'll Fix It show, fond memories of when I was a kid, sitting down on a Saturday evening with the family, always chips on a Saturday, eaten off plates on our knees in front of the telly (only day we were allowed do this), my old man always cracking up laughing at the fat kid on the roller coaster.... Good Times!!!

The b*stard never answered any of my letters to fix it for me to get a spin in Knight Riders car, though!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Now Then, Now Then , Now This is.. Sad News . RIP Mr Fix It

stephen_k wrote: »
    Sad day! Used to love the Jim'll Fix It show, fond memories of when I was a kid, sitting down on a Saturday evening with the family, always chips on a Saturday, eaten off plates on our knees in front of the telly (only day we were allowed do this), my old man always cracking up laughing at the fat kid on the roller coaster.... Good Times!!!

The b*stard never answered any of my letters to fix it for me to get a spin in Knight Riders car, though!!!!!
    I remember being so excited about an edition featuring a girl getting to spend the day as a princess - but it was more the Princess Anne, wearing a waxed jacket and wellies, mucking out the stables take on being a princess. I was well disappointed - and the kid clearly was too. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

:( two days short of his 85th,,, R.I.P Jim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I remember fondly one of his shows where a young bloke got to play lead guitar with Status Quo on stage, take into account it was the mid to late 70s so Quo were considered quite cool at the time.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

the press will have a field day now he's gone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

R.I.P

No doubt there will be a record turn out at his funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭stephen_k

Dudess wrote: »
    I remember being so excited about an edition featuring a girl getting to spend the day as a princess - but it was more the Princess Anne, wearing a waxed jacket and wellies, mucking out the stables take on being a princess. I was well disappointed - and the kid clearly was too. :D

Yeah thinking back the Fix Its, were never that good.... I could never understand why they'd always pick some nerd who'd want to visit some shít factory somewhere..... I want to drive Kit ffs!!!! No contest!!!

*I would've even settled for the General Lee*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

Dear Jimmy,

Can you please fix it for me to have this moved to Celebrities and Showbiz?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

2Scoops wrote: »
    Dear Jimmy,

Can you please fix it for me to have this moved to Celebrities and Showbiz?

OH FFS, there's ALWAYS one!!!!!!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

How's about that, then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

R.I.P

No doubt there will be a record turn out at his funeral.

Maybe if he'd died in the 80's. However, I reckon there'll be a seedy turn out at his funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

RIP Jimmy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

anyone got a link for the full louis theroux meets jimmy saville episode...?

couldnt find it myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

There was summit a little odd 'bout Sir James, even over and above the showbizzy affectations, some of which was apparent on the Theroux documentary.

Loved his show as a kid but don't remember warming to him as a man, as I would have to Brian Cant or even Cheggers & Edmonds on the Saturday Swap Shop. :eek:

RIP

On the Theroux documentary he just seemed way more serious and less confident than his showbiz persona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

RIP Jimmy. Used to be so jealous watching Jim'll Fix It at times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

There was summit a little odd 'bout Sir James, even over and above the showbizzy affectations, some of which was apparent on the Theroux documentary.

I think everyone who Theroux spent time with came out looking weird! It was his shows selling point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Think of the money his family will get in a Cash 4 Gold store.

RIP Sir Jimmy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

There was 'an incident' where he was on the BBC's Have I Got News for You (Savile was a guest and a rather cutting joke backfired spectacularly..), and just posting the dialogue online (never broadcast), censored or not.. was enough to have legal papers dumped at the door of your Host\ISP in very quick order.

Google..

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement