Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jimmy Saville Dead at 84

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

alwaysadub wrote: »
    RIP Jimmy. Used to be so jealous watching Jim'll Fix It at times!
    I was more jealous of the Mini Pops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dudess wrote: »
    I was more jealous of the Mini Pops.

re Amalgams hint, there's a set up line if I ever saw one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Jimmy Saville was the very first man on the planet to ever hook up two turntables to a soundsystem and charge people in the door to hear records being played with no live bands. Revolutionary at the time - this was the 1940's. First guy to ever hook up two turntables so he coul play records seamlessly intro-to-outro.

Surely radio stations were using twin turntables since the 1920's ?

Charging people to hear records -hardly an original idea either

Bringing the various elements together may have been though ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

Amalgam wrote: »
    There was 'an incident' where he was on the BBC's Have I Got News for You (Savile was a guest and a rather cutting joke backfired spectacularly..), and just posting the dialogue online (never broadcast), censored or not.. was enough to have legal papers dumped at the door of your Host\ISP in very quick order.

Google..

Yeah I've read the dialogue of that suposedly deleted scene. Interesting to say the least, but I've also read that it's completely made up and never happened. I googled the name mentioned in it and couldn't find anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Amalgam wrote: »
    There was 'an incident' where he was on the BBC's Have I Got News for You (Savile was a guest and a rather cutting joke backfired spectacularly..), and just posting the dialogue online (never broadcast), censored or not.. was enough to have legal papers dumped at the door of your Host\ISP in very quick order.

Google..

Was that the one where they asked him if he used to be a wrestler?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Yeah I've read the dialogue of that suposedly deleted scene. Interesting to say the least, but I've also read that it's completely made up and never happened. I googled the name mentioned in it and couldn't find anything.

I saw that, the dialogue attributed to Merton seems a tad caustic..

Savile claimed to not know certain people from Jersey, or not to have visited or frequented certain places.. until rather inconvenient photos popped up.

A man of contradictions. Spring loaded skeletons jumping out in 3.. 2.. 1..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

I read he had an injunction to stop publication of photograph of him at jersey

:eek:

Yeah I like Louis Theroux's shows but he sometimes tries hard to find badness - remember the Hamiltons fiasco...

• Advertisement

M cebee wrote: »

There is a lot of particularly nasty stuff written about him online, simply googling "Jimmy Saville rumours" will bring them up. Nothing from a credible source though, so I can only assume they are just silly rumours and nothing more.

Who'd have guessed the guy in this photo had but one year to live...
    http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/10/11/article-1319635-0B92886C000005DC-591_306x423.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭InkSlinger67

I remember watching Jim'll Fix It as a kid. Every season there always seemed to be one kid who wanted to meet Status Quo! :confused:

Fantastic show, fantastic man. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

Jimmy Kix It.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Your letter is only the start of it,
    One letter and now you’re a part of it,
    Now you’ve done it,
    Jim has fixed it for you,
    And you and you.

There must be something
    That you always wanted to do,
    The one thing that you always wanted to,
    Now you’ve done it,
    And you and you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Shiny shellsuit sales are gonna be hit unless fans buy them in his honour.
    thats my halloween costume sorted out..

• Advertisement

thats my halloween costume sorted out..

I know Halloween costumes are meant to be scary but isn't that a bit much?

Could you not just go as Ed Gein or Jeffrey Dahmer or something.

There is a lot of particularly nasty stuff written about him online, simply googling "Jimmy Saville rumours" will bring them up. Nothing from a credible source though, so I can only assume they are just silly rumours and nothing more.

We'll know soon enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭anto2

Dudess wrote: »
    On the Theroux documentary he just seemed way more serious and less confident than his showbiz persona.

Theroux sussed that he was a flaming Queen ,which he did not like :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Your letter is only the start of it,
    One letter and now you’re a part of it,
    Now you’ve done it,
    And you and you.

There must be something
    That you always wanted to do,
    The one thing that you always wanted to,
    Now you’ve done it,
    And you and you

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,435 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

He was daft as a brush in his later years but a legend in his own right. RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭mongoman

Always seemed like a harmless oul fool, may he RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭HMD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Agreed, the guy had a moment of ingenuity and artistic creativity that changed music for a lot of people.

RIP

Ah don't blame him for all the DJs that followed :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

just 2 days away from his 85th birthday

close, but no cigar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

great guy larger then life he was
    R.I.P. JIMMY

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Apparently he didn't really like children, really strange given the show that he is most famous for is all about making childrens' day............the transcripts of the 'have i got news for you' show where they cut out a whole scene when Jimmy is asked if he was a wrestler has to be nearly the crudest think I've ever read, not sure of the authentisity of the web site that I read it on but bizzare............in any case the millions he raised for charities around the uk and ireland probably make up for any character shortcommings?

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Apparently he didn't really like children, really strange given the show that he is most famous for is all about making childrens' day............

He explains on the Louis Theroux doc that he would give that impression when asked that question because he didn't want people thinking he was a pedophile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Apparently he didn't really like children, really strange given the show that he is most famous for is all about making childrens' day............the transcripts of the 'have i got news for you' show where they cut out a whole scene when Jimmy is asked if he was a wrestler has to be nearly the crudest think I've ever read, not sure of the authentisity of the web site that I read it on but bizzare............in any case the millions he raised for charities around the uk and ireland probably make up for any character shortcommings?

If even 0.0000000001% of what is circulating about him is true, then no. Not in a million years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Sad to see him gone.

I'm known as Jim myself cos of him.

In the '70s I could fix & set the new fangled digital watches that were all the rage then.

I learned to fix loadsa things since.

Thank you Jim from 'jim':)

One of Jimmys other pals.
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2270180.ece

They probably talked about tracksuits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

"And the band was..... Showaddywaddy!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Nailz wrote: »
    "And the band was..... Showaddywaddy!"

..or The Nolans. 14.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=JygLGzNhiD8#t=190s

I wonder who would have won in an arm-wrestling match between Jimmy Saville and Rod Hull? (the prize being a roomful of kids)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

It will probably get locked as its so old interesting seeing peoples reactions on hearing he was dead including my own

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-20121837

i put the boot in here when he died anyhow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah we can all look stupid in hindsight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I hope the mods don't lock this.

It will be interesting to see the before and after comparisons
    from those who commented here after his death.

Are they still hoping that he is resting in peace ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

mike65 wrote: »
    Ah we can all look stupid in hindsight.

Just look at the 70's, for instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Lapin wrote: »

Are they still hoping that he is resting in peace ?

Ah the benefit of hindsight. To answer your question, they sure are. ;)

• Advertisement

We'll know soon enough

And we would have known very quickly had the Newsnight investigation not been cancelled.

And we would have known very quickly had the Newsnight investigation not been cancelled.

why didn't the papers get stuck into him sooner

sure he can't sue or anything can he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Sad to see him gone.

I'm known as Jim myself cos of him.

In the '70s I could fix & set the new fangled digital watches that were all the rage then.

I learned to fix loadsa things since.

Thank you Jim from 'jim':)

Not best pleased about that nickname anymore I suppose?:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

staker wrote: »
    Dunno but he seemed like a man that lived his life to the full.

RIP Jim

Oh Jesus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Reading that thread now is that the minute he died there were rumours but how come nobody said anything when he was alive? I mean obviously some people knew! Its not like he was a powerful institution like the catholic church we are talking about Jimmy Saville here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Did they bury him in his track suit ?

the dirty little bollix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Apparently he didn't really like children

Well from what we know now we can confirm that.

I'm having great craic here, the joy of hindsight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Reading that thread now is that the minute he died there were rumours but how come nobody said anything when he was alive? I mean obviously some people knew! Its not like he was a powerful institution like the catholic church we are talking about Jimmy Saville here.

This goes all the way to the top, he was being protected. I think that if he went down, he'd take a lot of people down with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I wouldn't be critical of anyone here who paid respect etc. None of the stuff coming out now was in the public domain back then. People can only form opinions based on the information available.

I did however find it slightly amusing that our resident CT expert didn't alert us. Either there wasn't a massive masonic conspiracy by the police, politicians, mainstream media, etc to keep his activities hidden or else his sources are seriously lacking.
    R.I.P

No doubt there will be a record turn out at his funeral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

R.I.P Jim

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    I wouldn't be critical of anyone here who paid respect etc. None of the stuff coming out now was in the public domain back then. People can only form opinions based on the information available.

I did however find it slightly amusing that our resident CT expert didn't alert us. Either there wasn't a massive masonic conspiracy by the police, politicians, mainstream media, etc to keep his activities hidden or else his sources are seriously lacking.

he had powerful friends
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/262304_457663644278413_214788949_n.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement