Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Meal Troughs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

i cut 12 barrels in half like that to get 24 troughs.the man just uses them on the ground,very handy to move about and if it rains its easy to tip water out of them. and there cheap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭polod

What would it roughly cost to make one ? ;) cheers again

i think the barrell was 12euro and 2 minutes with the consaw(or big grinder) that will get you two halfs

Jays thats cheap ...would you mind pm'n me where you got them ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

We have two troughs like that, use on the ground.
    Trying to move away from them, specially for smaller stock as they walk into them and lick them clean, danger of picking up allsorts from the muck.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

A handy tip for those half barrel troughs. If you can get your hands on any old 8ft shuttering pans. The barrels can be bolted right into the steel parts of them and you can just weld up legs. We had a couple lying around the place with the timber missing and made 3 troughs from them.

I have also seen 12 inch JFC Corripipes cut in half with wooden circular stoppers in the end. You can buy a 20ft pipe for Eur50 and make 4 x 10ft troughs from it - just cut out the semi circle stoppers with a jigsaw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

reilig wrote: »
    A handy tip for those half barrel troughs. If you can get your hands on any old 8ft shuttering pans. The barrels can be bolted right into the steel parts of them and you can just weld up legs. We had a couple lying around the place with the timber missing and made 3 troughs from them.

I have also seen 12 inch JFC Corripipes cut in half with wooden circular stoppers in the end. You can buy a 20ft pipe for Eur50 and make 4 x 10ft troughs from it - just cut out the semi circle stoppers with a jigsaw.
    I did that for feeding meal in the shed, instead of throwing it on the silage.
    Cattle eat the last grain of meal, and are able to push it out of the way, to get at the silage afterwards.
    Less waste, no nosing around in the silage and pushing it away from the barrier, in the search for last grain of meal.
    Less bird activity also.

i like that idea for the pipe. a good long one would suit sheep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭caseman

polod wrote: »
    Any one every make or use a meal trough like this http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/2667447

are they any good ?

cheers :)
    Didnt make them, but bought 6 meter lenght of 9 inch strom water double wall pipping.
    Cut the pipe in half ie 3meter lenght, and then split in two.
    Then screwed 12 inchs of 6 x 2 at each end.
    4 3meter trough for e50.

• Advertisement

do you just leave them on the ground or make a frame for them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭Good loser

Hi Relig

Are you sure those 12 inch corries are €50?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Good loser wrote: »
    Hi Relig

Are you sure those 12 inch corries are €50?

€50 from McCorry Agri Derrylin!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭caseman

caseman wrote: »
    Didnt make them, but bought 6 meter lenght of 9 inch strom water double wall pipping.
    Cut the pipe in half ie 3meter lenght, and then split in two.
    Then screwed 12 inchs of 6 x 2 at each end.
    4 3meter trough for e50.

180865.jpg

Here is my Meal Trough beside old battered metal trough. Cost 12 euro

good job thats surly handy alright now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 bazza6195

if your just using pipes try get a good thick wall on the pipe, takes more of a battering!

Advertisement