Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cockroaches the norm????

Options
  • 29-10-2011 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭

Been staying in holiday lets for the last couple of months. Perth btw, Just moved into the latest one and within 10 minute there was the hugest cockroach I'v ever seen scuttelring across the floor. Doused him in Mortein and squashed him... he was still twitching 30 minuits later. :( Then five minuites later there was another smaller one in the bedroom. Sprayed and squished and onto the landlady who said "oh the place has been sprayed and it is the norm at this time of the year have a cokroach problem, all you can do is keep spraying... We even have a problem with them here in our beautiful beachside mansion" :rolleyes:

It is hardly the norm is it, to expect roaches as a matter of course??? Someone told me that if you see bugs you just "call in the guys" they come and spray everywhere and the problem is solved.

Going to bed now wrapped from top to toe, please tell me that is is not the norm to have to accept roaches before I go to war tomorrow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Yup pretty normal. All you can do is keep the place clean and watch out for any signs of infestations.

I just hate it when the little gits land on you when your in bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

There are 2 types of cockroaches. The ones you have might be garden ones that accidently get in the house. The other ones are smaller and the ones you would want to exterminate.

In WA here and we don't get cockroaches in our house but have done in different places. You can get a cheap cockroach bombs in the shops. Easier than constantly spraying them with mortein.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It's pretty standard to see them on the street or in the beack garden. You get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I use this

9300622703954.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Yeah it's standard, just keep the floors clean, and regularly spray (I use the floor spray, mainly near doors or crevasses etc)

Apparently do not squash them - I read it attracts more of them, spray is more effective

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

Thanks for all the replies... especially the one about them landing on you when you're in bed.. :rolleyes:

Used a few of those bombs today so hopefully that'll do the trick. Also came across my first Redback Spider today. :eek:

I am fighting a daily battle with redbacks these days. Luckily my kids are vigilant with them, they find them and I stomp on them. Anything left outdoors is fair game to redbacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

I would not be prepared to share my home with any insects you can hear walking.

My idea of a nightmare would be to wake up with one on my chest/face looking at me.

Stay here long enough and they start to look cute.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Squishing cockroaches can spread disease- cockroaches typically carry up to 30 different diseases..if you squish them, this releases the disease spores into the air-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

also, would redbacks be the norm?

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

zweton wrote: »
    also, would redbacks be the norm?

You get redbacks every now n again but leave them be and you'll grand. Just have to get use to remembering to check before you put your hands place that your no longer in Ireland and is stuff that can kill yeah. You would however have to be really unluck for abite from a redback killed you .

The ones i hate are the huntsman can do anything to you but dam big .

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

If your house is clean and food isnt left out you shouldn't see to many of them! I deffo would not squish them tho! It will cause there eggs to burst out of them! And then you'll have lots of roaches around!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

NoelAPM wrote: »
    If your house is clean and food isnt left out you shouldn't see to many of them! I deffo would not squish them tho! It will cause there eggs to burst out of them! And then you'll have lots of roaches around!

This is the 4th or 5th holiday let I've stayed in since getting here around 2 months ago. One other place had one small brown cockroach and that was it, all the other places were fine. But I've discovered that this place is a bit manky. There are food stains on a lot of the carpets, one is sour milk :(

Spending today cleaning the place even though I'll probably be here for only a week, 2 at a push if I'm stuck.

Wouldn't mind but I've paid 100 bloody dollars for "cleaning". :mad: Think I'll be asking for that back. I'd say I've some hope! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Ozeire wrote: »
    You get redbacks every now n again but leave them be and you'll grand. Just have to get use to remembering to check before you put your hands place that your no longer in Ireland and is stuff that can kill yeah. You would however have to be really unluck for abite from a redback killed you .

The ones i hate are the huntsman can do anything to you but dam big .

I've been watching videos on them on Youtube..holy hell :eek:

Whats the best pay to get rid of them??

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

hussey wrote: »
    Apparently do not squash them - I read it attracts more of them, spray is more effective
    Cicero wrote: »
    Squishing cockroaches can spread disease- cockroaches typically carry up to 30 different diseases..if you squish them, this releases the disease spores into the air-

Urban legends lads.
    The other one is that squashing releases the eggs so more get spread.

Its based on truth, the females carry eggs sacs some of the time, that might not be killed if you only half squash them or it get stuck in boot. But the chances are tiny. Anytime i've squashed there was nothing left, and I put the mess outside, not into the kitchen bin just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Is this what your on about

378068_2483766770566_1144502147_2961962_2093011899_n.jpg

They're not that big really .

Found this one on my little girls toy box today .

They tend to get everywhere

The other variety is much bigger than that. But they are hardly scary or anything.

I don't think anyone has died from a redback bite for around 60 years now. They wouldn't be able to kill the average person anyway, just make you sick for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

ellaq wrote: »
    The other variety is much bigger than that. But they are hardly scary or anything.

I don't think anyone has died from a redback bite for around 60 years now. They wouldn't be able to kill the average person anyway, just make you sick for a while.
    Yeah, since anti-venom was introduced in the mis 50s.
    Over all there have only been 14 recorded deaths. THey think that of the 250 people that require antivenom each year, 5-10 times more are bitten and are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Lived in Sydney for 4 years and cockroaches everywhere....urghhh:eek: Can't stand the dirty disgusting things. Living in Victoria never saw a cockroach...think it is something to do with the weather / temp.

• Advertisement
Advertisement