Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trees for firewood.

• 29-10-2011 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi Guys and Girls. I am looking to buy trees for firewood. We have a Stanley range and are struggling to keep up with the general house bills. I am in Meath and would travel anywhere in leinster no problem. I can borrow a good chainsaw and have a trailer. Can trees be bought from the forestry dept ? Where do people go to get tree`s in general ? It can`t always be Paddy`s cousins uncles friend has a tree he wants cut down can it :-) Any advise on turf ? does that work out cheaper ? Not too keen on turf though. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

coilte sell you lorry loads,just take down a foresters number at a forestery entrance and they shoould be able to organise it,dont know about prices,if you find out could you put it up?. . . . was told price of turf out of bog in templetouhey could be something like 140e for a 14ft ifor williams full,might not be right though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Nobbies

coppo would u b interested in say 2metre lengths of ash forestry thinnings?only recently cut,so not seasoned.they are close too summerhill.afriend of mine works in forestry and has aquanity of same for sale off site.i don,t know price,but could forward u his contact details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭greenfingers89

coppo wrote: »
    Where do people go to get tree`s in general ? Thanks

pm'd you....search firewood and you'll get plenty of other info all over boards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 coppo

simx wrote: »
    coilte sell you lorry loads,just take down a foresters number at a forestery entrance and they shoould be able to organise it,dont know about prices,if you find out could you put it up?. . . . was told price of turf out of bog in templetouhey could be something like 140e for a 14ft ifor williams full,might not be right though

Thanks will try.

Nobbies wrote: »
    coppo would u b interested in say 2metre lengths of ash forestry thinnings?only recently cut,so not seasoned.they are close too summerhill.afriend of mine works in forestry and has aquanity of same for sale off site.i don,t know price,but could forward u his contact details

Yes interested at the right price :-)

• Advertisement

pm'd you....search firewood and you'll get plenty of other info all over boards

Thanks a million you were very helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

Be very careful of using unseasoned timber as it can damage the chimney, advice on wood from the Solid Fuel Association.

WOOD FUELS Logs
    The most common form of wood fuel at the moment is logs. These will usually come from local sources and can be brought from a variety of outlets – e.g. coal merchants, farmers, tree surgeons. It is important the logs are dry and well seasoned. Burning wet or unseasoned wood is less efficient and can cause harmful build up of deposits in the chimney over a very short time. Thick coatings of creosote or resinous material can cause chimney fires, or prevent the chimney functioning properly. This can allow harmful fumes to escape into the dwelling.

Efficient burning is achieved by setting the appliance to burn fast after stoking. This will ensure that all the gases are fully burned. Only set to slow burn when all wood has been reduced to charcoal and ash. Newly added wood set to burn slowly creates smoke and creosote in the chimney. The stove should not be banked up with logs for overnight burning. A bright fire which has turned the wood into charcoal should be left with the day’s ash, no secondary air and minimal primary air.
    logs.jpgIf you buy logs which have not been seasoned, you should store them under cover but open to allow free air circulation for at least a year. Some logs may take 3 to 4 years to fully season. Bring the fuel into the house a few days before you want to use it to get it as dry as possible. Wood from different trees has different heat values The table below provides a useful comparison. Wood fuel has typically less than half the calorific value of coal and smokeless fuel, so you must be prepared to use a greater volume of wood to heat your home or room, unless you use both wood and mineral solid fuel.

Under the Weights and Measures Act, coal and smokeless fuel have to be sold in defined weights, which makes it easy for you to compare the cost between suppliers. Unless there is a local statutory instrument in force, there will be no such statutory weight for deliveries of wood. The logs and wood are usually sold in “nets” or by lorry load, so take care to check the amount you can expect to get for your money. Fresh felled wood weights about one tonne per solid cubic metre but will lose up to half its weight when it becomes fully air dried, so find out for how long the wood has been seasoned before delivery.

If you burn wood, you should have your chimney swept at least twice a year. Do not burn any painted or treated wood. Treated or painted wood will emit chemicals which are potentially damaging to health and the environment. This also applies to MDF and chipboard.
    Weight per
    m3 in kg
    Gross heat value
    kW/kg (btu/lb)
    % Moisture
    when green
    Seasoning time
    in summers
    Hardwoods (fully air dried)Ash6744.1 (6,350)351Beech6904.3 (6,700)451-2Birch6624.1 (6,350)451Elm5403.6 (5,600)602-3Oak7704.5 (7,000)502-3Poplar4652.6 (4,100)651SoftwoodsPine/Fir4102.6 (4,100)601

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dr200

hi im in cork and would like to purchae large quanties of felled trees fir or anything phone or text 0877037506 p.s.anyone in the forestry buisness have any trees for sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

This guy seems to have a good deal as long as you have your own Chainsaw :pac: http://www.gumtree.ie/cp-general-in-offaly/trailer-of-firewood-larch-pine-trees-519508226

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

I have logs for sale aprox 12 ft long mixed quality in east wicklow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 steven704

milkprofit wrote: »
    I have logs for sale aprox 12 ft long mixed quality in east wicklow

are these still available

Advertisement