Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build Quesion

Options
  • 29-10-2011 4:48pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey, quick question. I got a q6600 from a friend, and am trying to set it up in my current machine (e6600, 4bg ram, ati 4890 1gb). I know the motherboard supports it, and i thought i'd have enough power (500W), but it's not working. The pc starts, and seems to load, but i don't get any display. The graphics card is running, or at least the fan is running.

I read that it might be a RAM problem, and that you need a certain speed of ram for quad cores. Can anyone tell me if that's true?

Also, just to add, if i put the e6600 back in it works fine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

the ram is fine. have you tried resetting BIOS? is there any BIOS firmware updates from the vendor? what specific board is it? does the q6600 definitely work in another machine?

I hope you're reapplying TIM every time you swap the CPUs?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yeah, i reset the CMOS but it still happens. I've updated to the latest Bios as well. The processor was definitely working in the other machine anyway, so i don't think it's a cpu issue. I can only assume it's the PSU. Would have thought the 500w was enough for a single graphics card and quad core cpu. Board itself is below.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2456#ov

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭thysol

Try and set the RAM Ratio so that you have the lowest possible RAM clock with the E6600. Then insert the Q6600.

Advertisement