Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice for a beginner

• 29-10-2011 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭

What would be the one most important piece of advice you would give to a novice/beginner writer?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I got into writing ages ago, but have nothing I'd like to show as of yet. Others here may well have better advice, but check out some dedicated forums (writing4all.ie) and keep writing. <--- Sorry if such advertising is not allowed.

Just write jibberish if you must to develop ideas and I usually keep a very small notepad and pen handy if something comes to mind. If that's not possible try and remember your ideas and write them down later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭pauline fayne

For what it's worth , the one piece of advice I would give is to read as much as you write - hopefully every day !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Write. Write every day. Take time to write, don't wait for inspiration. Sit down for at least an hour without tv or internet and write.

Read a lot. Read in your genre and outside it.

Get feedback on what you write, and listen to it, even if you hate what you are hearing. It's what will make you a better writer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Thanks for the replies, ItsThatManAgain, pauline fayne and EileenG.

I thought there would have been more replies though!

I incidentally, what are your thoughts on using the passive voice instead of the active:
    1. The field had been ploughed by the old farmer for the last umpteen years.
    2. The farmer had ploughed the field for the last umpteen years.

In the first sentence, for me, the field is more important than the farmer where as in the second sentence, the importance is given to the farmer.
    I believe (though may be wrong) that "editors" dislike the use of the passive and I q1uite often find that the emphasis changes if the passive is not used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

odds_on wrote: »

I incidentally, what are your thoughts on using the passive voice instead of the active:

In the first sentence, for me, the field is more important than the farmer where as in the second sentence, the importance is given to the farmer.
    I believe (though may be wrong) that "editors" dislike the use of the passive and I q1uite often find that the emphasis changes if the passive is not used.

I prefer the second option, but I suppose it would depend on what followed?

As for advice - I'm only a novice myself, and I read as much as I can, and I also buy books on the subject, which are invaluable. Plus, forums such as this or any writing group where you can share ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Yes, you're right, editors do dislike use of passive voice, and if you want to use it, you need to have a very good reason for it. If you want the field to be more important than the farmer, I would try to find another way to show that.

Most editors (and readers) will assume that a sentence in passive voice is because you don't want to commit to active voice. "A good time was had by all" is usually a way to avoid naming the drunks.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

odds_on wrote: »

In that particular example you're not telling the reader anything pertinent about the field. How many times, by whom and over how long a period don't affect how the field looks really so it's a bit redundant.

When you tell us about the farmer having ploughed the field for years we can picture the effect his toils have had on his mind and body.

"The field had been ploughed recently" is a perfectly acceptable use of the passive.

Advertisement