Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salt

Options
  • 29-10-2011 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭

Whats peoples views on buying and selling salt this christmas ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

All weather dependant obviously, people will only bother buying salt if weather is really bad for prolonged period.
    could earn you a few quid or break you impossible to know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭jetsonx

This would make sense if you were running a related business that
    supplies road safety equipment, building materials and the like.

As a stand alone business, too much seasonality in to make it viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭demoreino

If you had your own suitable storage space and could afford to possibly wait upto 15 months to cash in I think there is very little risk really.
    Our harsh winters look certain to continue but are the local authority's going to be better prepared for future freakish conditions?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

demoreino wrote: »
    Our harsh winters look certain to continue but are the local authority's going to be better prepared for future freakish conditions?

Ah come on "harsh winters set to continue" , dont get me wrong it could be cold again , but staking your money on it no thanks , they can barely tell the weather a day in advance never mind weeks and months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

We had 2 harsh spells in 2010. No guarantee will will see it again in the next 10 years. A lot of people have stocked up or are in the process of buying salt, antifreeze, snow shovels etc.

Lots of shops and hardwares have stocked up as well.

You are basicly gambling on the weather, you might as well put a few weather bets on with paddypower.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

All our local convenience shops in surburban Dublin are selling it. We got a flyer through the door from some other person who is selling salt by the bag or barrel load. Everyone seems to be getting in on the act.

I'd think it would be a better money maker to buy a couple of snow shovels and go door to door offering to clear driveways and footpaths once the white stuff comes in January (according to the weather forum who called it right last year).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Aldi are selling bags of road salt for 2.99

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

every tom dick & harry is selling salt.

Its handy for very very severe weather, but what will happen this year is loads of people will use it on their driveways on even the slightest hint of frost and then they'll be complaining that the driveway is breaking up, shoes are wrecked and carpets in the house are wrecked.

I'd thread carefully, check local suppliers (local hardware & builder's merchants), margin in a crowded market is small (i'd pay max €8-€9 / 25kg bag) and there will be massive price cutting if the mild weather continues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭AndyJB

trepasers wrote: »
    Whats peoples views on buying and selling salt this christmas ??

Evening,
    Was just having a chat with a client over a coffee the other day, they're in the FMG sector. They're inundated with suppliers offering deicing salt. The margins are v-v-weak so you'd need to shift large amounts to make a good twist on it.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

It is not a bad idea but as it is low value both to buy and sell you'd need to buy full truck loads and therefore imo the only issue is storage.

If you buy say 26 x 1100kg bags where do you put them before you get to work on them.

OP - the start up cost is not big so give it a whirl - however it is hard graft and as the rrp is low it is also a volume business.

Best of luck.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The China Market in Dublin 2 had salt in stock most of the way through the mess last year. They were selling it for a fiver for a 25kg bag. It is really something that the big wholesalers need to keep in reserve and then sell as a convenience to customers and retailers, rather than as an item to make much margin on.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭trepasers

Thansk everyone for the help...made me see both sides of the coin..cheers again !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

trepasers wrote: »
    Thansk everyone for the help...made me see both sides of the coin..cheers again !!

OP maybe consider buying a snow plough? Plenty of people will pay €15-20 to have their driveway cleared. Also private roads in country areas.
    If it snows heavily this winter you could make very good money with a small outlay.

Here is one supplier http://www.mrsnowplough.ie/index.html but there are lots of others in the UK with snowploughs which rig onto cars and jeeps.

Advertisement