Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best phone+broadband package?

• 29-10-2011 5:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

Thiking of getting phone and broadband into the house.I dont currently have a phone line(but there was one) so I presume I would have to pay a reconnection fee?I cant get UPC were I live in Louth so thats them ruled out.Looking at Vodafone,Imagine wimax.Any other recommendations.I would be an average user,but would like to get free/cheap calls to USA and Oz.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Imagine Wimax is not over the phone, nor is it really broadband. Most DSL is all resold eircom broadband, and will be much the same. Which you choose normally comes down to personal preference, price and the limits they apply.

Generally, we see fewest complaints about UTV, thought that could be because of a small customer base.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

jor el wrote: »
    Imagine Wimax is not over the phone, nor is it really broadband. Most DSL is all resold eircom broadband, and will be much the same. Which you choose normally comes down to personal preference, price and the limits they apply.

Generally, we see fewest complaints about UTV, thought that could be because of a small customer base.
    Thanks.Do utv do phone also? So what do imagine wi max offer? Says on their website they offer phone and broadband.I'm not really tech savvy do I don't know much about the whole thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭forsaleireland

imagine themselves do phone and broadband through eircom phone lines also vodafone is worth a shot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

We have Vodaphone on a phone and broadband package,free local and national calls and free to UK,€48 a month.Have had no problems with them since the took over from BT.

Would I have to get a phone line installed or reconnected?Do Imagine or Vodafone charge a set up installation fee?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

toby2111 wrote: »
    Would I have to get a phone line installed or reconnected?Do Imagine or Vodafone charge a set up installation fee?

Switched recently to Vodafone At Home, free connection and free modem.It's costing me €38 a month with the phone which I haven't used yet.Getting decent speeds too.

http://www.vodafone.ie/df/homebroadband/productdetails.jsp?productid=381054&producttypetab=HOMEPHONEBROANDBAND&categorytab=subcategory_1&perlicoid=115007

Looking like vodafone offering best deal at the moment.So do I have to ring eircom to tell them to reconnect my phone line? What do they charge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Looking like vodafone offering best deal at the moment.So do I have to ring eircom to tell them to reconnect my phone line? What do they charge?

ring vodafone and get them to do everything, otherwise you'll end up with a 6 month contract with eircom.

bealtine wrote: »

ring vodafone and get them to do everything, otherwise you'll end up with a 6 month contract with eircom.
    Yeh, I figured eircom would charge me.So will vodafone do all this setting up for free?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Yeh, I figured eircom would charge me.So will vodafone do all this setting up for free?

ring vodafone and ask?

• Advertisement

bealtine wrote: »

ring vodafone and ask?
    Ok, will do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭rpmcmurphy

connectivity with voadfone is poor, customer support poor, i lose connectivity every few mins. Fine one minute, gone the next.

rpmcmurphy wrote: »
    connectivity with voadfone is poor, customer support poor, i lose connectivity every few mins. Fine one minute, gone the next.
    Unfortunately, my only options seem to be vodafone or eircom.I'll ring both 2moro and see if they've any deals, both seem to be around €45 a month.I won't know about connectivity until I get one of them installed, I presume I have at least 14 days cooling off period, if connectivity is poor I'll cancel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Unfortunately, my only options seem to be vodafone or eircom.I'll ring both 2moro and see if they've any deals, both seem to be around €45 a month.I won't know about connectivity until I get one of them installed, I presume I have at least 14 days cooling off period, if connectivity is poor I'll cancel.

Vodafone were able to tell me what my line could handle,I phoned them to order it and they got back to me the next morning and said my line could handle 8Mb easily and it does:)

They took care of everything and I was up and running in a few days (had my modem within 3 days of ordering)
    Plus they are cheaper than Eircom with no watching what you download;)

If any of your neighbours has fixed line broadband ask them what their speeds are like and that'll give you a fair idea what you'll be getting yourself.

Vodafone do seem cheaper but seem to get a lot of negative press here on boards.Then again so do Eircom!I'll call both tomorrow and see what they can do for me,gonna have to reconnect the phone line which may cause problems.

Rang both VF and eircom today.VF said that because line is disconnected longer than 6 months they prob wont be able to reconnect it,they are doing a line check anyways but seems doubtful.So that leaves me with Eircom as my only option.Can only afford their 3Mb broadband(dont have NGB in my area,girl didn't know when it was coming either).Is this good enough to stream Setanta Sports?( free on eircom).Would it be much faster than my mobile dongle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Rang both VF and eircom today.VF said that because line is disconnected longer than 6 months they prob wont be able to reconnect it,they are doing a line check anyways but seems doubtful.So that leaves me with Eircom as my only option.Can only afford their 3Mb broadband(dont have NGB in my area,girl didn't know when it was coming either).Is this good enough to stream Setanta Sports?( free on eircom).Would it be much faster than my mobile dongle?

3Mb would be enough to stream setenta sports we have 1Mb from eircom and we can stream it no problem..fixed line broadband will always perform more consistantly than an 02 dongle 02 were rated the slowest mobile broadband provider so your better off getting away from them.

Thanks jay93-The only thing is there is a 10GB usage limit with the package I'm looking at.So if I streamed a good bit of football and streamed a decent amount of music(not downloaded but streaming is free on MusicHub,so would listen to a few albums/tunes),would this eat up the 10GB fairly quickly.I also have an Xbox and would be curious to do a bit of online gaming so I'd imagine between all this and a bit of general surfing,the 10GB would be gone quickly enough?

edit-looks like I get 30GB with the 3Mb eircom package.

Advertisement