Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature student application questions

Options
  • 29-10-2011 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    in 2010 i was accecpted to a social care course in dit but had to defer due to unforseen personal circumstances. I was to go back last sept (2011) but then found out i was pregnant so had to take this year off aswell! So basically they wouldnt let me defer for a second year, so in order for me to start college next sept 2012 i need to re-apply through cao. The thing is i have forgottn alot of things about the application process so was just looking for a few questions to be answered!

I know the cao is open from 3rd nov, but when do mature student applications have to be in by?

I am on sw at the moment, so was wodering if anyone knows if there are any childcaree allowances given to mothers returning to education?

When do grant applications have to be in by? Or do you just apply for the grant once you have been accecpted to the course?

I cant think of anything else right now but if there is any other info i may need, please feel free to share!
    Thanks in advance for any help / info you can give me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

Anyone????!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

qwertytlk wrote: »
    I know the cao is open from 3rd nov, but when do mature student applications have to be in by?

Next February 2012 is the deadline AFAIK
    I am on sw at the moment, so was wodering if anyone knows if there are any childcaree allowances given to mothers returning to education?

AFAIK You can choose to either:
    A) Receive your normal Social Welfare payments and be able to apply for the Maintainence Grant/Student Grant. You will however lose any secondary benefits (rent supplement etc)
    B) Switch to BTEA allowance & keep your secondary benefits, get a student grant (not a maintainence grant), get a Cost of Education Allowance and be able to work part time without affecting your BTEA

From the two options going for the BTEA seems like a better option.

More information found here
    When do grant applications have to be in by? Or do you just apply for the grant once you have been accecpted to the course?

Grant applications open during the Summer Months next year I think, you should have your answer whether you're successful or not for your course before then or around the same time as the grant application openings.

Thanks for the reply, great info. Will get started on the cao later this week then because if i remember correcty theres plenty to do with the personal statement etc!
    Thanks again:)

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Moon Indigo

If you can I advice doing the CAO form online. I found it easier but do get going on your personal statement. Gather your forms for the Grant and get it in as soon as the process opens (early summer). I have started this year in Uni so just finished round one of this process my self. Any questions you have feel free to ask. Best of luck.

If you can I advice doing the CAO form online. I found it easier but do get going on your personal statement. Gather your forms for the Grant and get it in as soon as the process opens (early summer). I have started this year in Uni so just finished round one of this process my self. Any questions you have feel free to ask. Best of luck.

hi, yeah i plan to do it online, much handier. Then i can just post any additional documentation such as personal statements, references etc.
    Regarding the personal statement and the other couple of questions on the CAO, well as i mentioned in my original post i did all this a few years back and was accecpted but had to defer so i still have copies of my personal statement and the other bits and pieces. Would it be accecptable to send the same one again? Obviously i would have to change one or two things and add info on what iv been doing the past 2years but with that done do you think i could send the one i already used before??
    I know your prob thinking id be doing this out of laziness but thats not it. I just remember i worked really really hard on it and was really happy with it, and the colleges must of thought it was good enough to accecpt me!

• Advertisement

hi, yeah i plan to do it online, much handier. Then i can just post any additional documentation such as personal statements, references etc.
    Regarding the personal statement and the other couple of questions on the CAO, well as i mentioned in my original post i did all this a few years back and was accecpted but had to defer so i still have copies of my personal statement and the other bits and pieces. Would it be accecptable to send the same one again? Obviously i would have to change one or two things and add info on what iv been doing the past 2years, but with that done do you think i could send the one i already used before??
    I know your prob thinking id be doing this out of laziness but thats not it! I just remember i worked really really hard on it and was really happy with the end result, and the colleges must of thought it was good enough to accecpt me!
    So what do ye think?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Moon Indigo

I think once you add on what you have been doing and fill in the gaps its no problem sending that personal statement in. There is no point making things complicated and if it worked before then I would use it again. Just remember to check dates etc as some of it may be outdated. I am sure you will anyway but yeah send it. They get so many every year and this one worked for you before so either way they will be looking at it with fresh eyes and I am sure you will get in. :)

Advertisement