Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sealing plasterboard

• 29-10-2011 6:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

i've recently put up insulation on the walls and then plasterboarded.i have used scrim tape on most of the joints but i have a question about some joints.most joints are quite tight but a couple have a gap of say half a centremetre how do i proceed?do i:
    1 fill in the joint first then scrim tape then plaster or
    2 just scrim over the gap and plaster?
    i have used the lined side so will not be plastering the entire boards.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

If the joints are wide enough to sick slithers of insulation into, then do that. Scrim the joints and either skim or use jointing compound to smooth the boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

+1 on what spread has advised.

scrim first.... then fill joints

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Are you tiling on the plaster board... If so dont bother doing anything but priming it for tiles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭heinbloed

Follow the manufacturer's recommendation.
    A tape is always necessary as well as a solid filling, otherwise natural expansion and contraction will show severe deficits in workmanship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Scrim is a bit thicker and harder to work with I find. I generally use jointing tape, and joint compound.

You'll need 3 coats and you'll need to feather the edges very well to blend in. After a few goes you should get the swing of it.

My advice is, for the first and second coat use the gyproc compound in the bag that you mix. It dries much quicker, but as a result you need to be quick. For the finish topcoat use their promix compound. Its readymixed in a bucket and is easier to use than the powder, but will take a lot longer to dry, and is not suitable for thicknesses of over 3mm

clip_image002_000.jpg

Check out some of these videos. They were some help to me when I wanted to learn about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

thanks for the advice.never thought of using bits of insulation.

Advertisement