Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Running 32 bit software on 64 bit Windows 7

• 29-10-2011 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

Hey

My Grandad has a program called My Family Tree from 1994. He has used it for years and built up quite a database. He recently got a new laptop and we copied all the files over for him but when we try to run it the computer says to check what version of windows we're running (32 or 64 bit) and that it cannot run it!

He previously had it on XP 32bit and I have tried using all compatibility options available on windows 7

Does anyone have any idea how I can make the program run???

(The sooner the better cause' I want the ram from his old PC!!!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

If you right click on the executable file there should be a tab called "compatibility" you can select what operating system to run the file as. See if that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭nimrod86

Thanks, but I have already tried this, no joy! :(

Does compatibility work for 32 bit to 64 bit and vice versa? Or will compatibility on a 64 bit windows 7 give me 64 bit windows xp?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

You could try running it in xp mode. You need to download a few bits to get it working :

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

did you copy the files over or do a real reinstall?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭nimrod86

Overheal wrote: »
    did you copy the files over or do a real reinstall?

I had to copy the files over because the idiot gave away the disc so now we can't re-install it. Just got tried it on a 32 bit pc, and it said it was missing something, I'll just tell him he has to copy it all manually, thanks for your help guys!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

nimrod86 wrote: »
    I had to copy the files over because the idiot gave away the disc so now we can't re-install it. Just got tried it on a 32 bit pc, and it said it was missing something, I'll just tell him he has to copy it all manually, thanks for your help guys!

Many installers not only dump files but configure the software on a particular machine aswell, you may need to locate the CD in order to get it working again! Also if its missing .dll files you can get many online and copy them into your System32/SysWOW64 folders. Be careful doing this as some dlls you download may be infected, use www.virustotal.com to check before doing this

Nick

Advertisement