Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on re-homing a dog

• 29-10-2011 7:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭

My elderly neighbour has decided (reluctantly) that she is unable to look after her 1 year old golden labrador.

He's an extremely good-natured dog, great with kids and very receptive to training.
    The problem is that he has grown into a very strong dog, and despite having him trained to walk on a lead, he will occasionally change direction or pull to investigate a smell.
    After the third time that she has fallen when walking him (and been hurt quite badly), she has, with sadness, decided she isn't able to keep him.
    I walk him most evenings, but he is a lively dog, and really needs to be exercised twice a day.

I know there's a rehoming thread on here, but this thread is to ask advice on which option might be best.

She is thinking of taking him to the MSPCA in Emyvale in Monaghan - they seem to be a very good organisation, and their website says they vet potential owners for suitability.

Would this be the best option (does anyone have any experience with them?) , or might it be better to put an ad up here or elsewhere and do this ourselves?

She really wants to be sure he will go to a loving and safe home, and feels he would be great for a family with children, as he loves attention and play.
    (My own dog and I have become very attached to him, but sadly can't take him in)

Advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Best bet is to contact every animal shelter you can and ask them to keep you in mind if they've someone looking for a lab. Shelters are overrun at the moment and this dog isint in any immediate danger so if she can hold into him until a home is found it would ease the burden on a shelter. Also he should be neutered, if he's not already, before rehoming to ensure he doesn't end up in the hands of a puppy farmer.

Would she consider getting a professional reputable dog trainer in to help her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I think Zapperzy's suggestion is a good one, call all the shelters you can, explain the situation and give them her details.
    People call shelters looking for certain types of dogs all the time, she may get lucky. Shelters generally do home checks so she would be sure the dogs was going somewhere safe.
    And neutering is a must, the last thing you want is someone using him to breed.
    Also nice to see someone like you trying to help the situation with walking and this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Thanks for the replies.
    He is already neutered, so no problem on that front..
    I'm going to ask her if she will wait until we have the right person lined up before giving him away - I don't want to see him going into kennels.. it will be tough enough to see him go even if we know he's going to be treated like a king :o
    I'll try and make some calls and send some emails today, and I think I'll also put up a post in the re-homing thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

I have experience of the shelter you mentioned and could not recommend them highly enough. they will do their level best to help.
    If I was ever in a position of having to rehome my dogs it is one of the few places I would actually be happy to see them go to.

ppink wrote: »
    I have experience of the shelter you mentioned and could not recommend them highly enough. they will do their level best to help.
    If I was ever in a position of having to rehome my dogs it is one of the few places I would actually be happy to see them go to.

I had that feeling from their website, and the ads they have every week in our local paper - the way they describe the dogs and cats shows a real love for these poor (mostly) abandoned or mistreated animals.
    It's nice to have that confirmed though, so thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Would a headcollar help with walking him at all if that's the only reason she's letting him go - eg a gentle leader/halti/dogmatic etc? Fair play btw for helping her :).

tk123 wrote: »
    Would a headcollar help with walking him at all if that's the only reason she's letting him go - eg a gentle leader/halti/dogmatic etc? Fair play btw for helping her :).

I don't think so - she's afraid to walk him at all now, and isn't getting any stronger herself - we have a good harness for our own dog, and I suggested getting one for her, but if you had seen what happened the second time (she was extremely lucky she wasn't killed), you'd understand...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I'd actually press to see if she'd consider the head collar and some training. The climate at the moment means that, even as a desirable breed, there is a strong chance the dog will be put to sleep if she surrenders him. If he's really that good with kids, it's sad to think she may give him up just for a problem that would be instantly correctable with a head collar or other no-pull leash. I appreciate she's lost confidence in him, and in herself, but these devices really do stop the dog pulling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I'd agree with what Zappery said, and also add in addition to checking the Irish welfare groups I'd start contacting the UK breed specific rescues, some of them take dogs from Ireland. There are transport vans that leave Ireland weekly bringing dogs to the UK so I can PM you the names if you need them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Try also posting in the rehoming thread here, or in other dog forums. Labradors are fantastic family friendly breed and he might get a new home very quickly. You will have to meet the person and judge their suitability so it's more work than giving him to a shelter but I wouldn't take the risk with the shelter as he might be eventually put to sleep due to overcrowding.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055626371

• Advertisement

Thanks all for the advice.
    I brought a headcollar back from the petshop today, but although it worked (I walked him and he didn't pull at all after he got used to it) she doesn't feel confident to use it, and says her son is insistent she doesn't walk him again (understandable if you knew how lucky she was).
    I'm not going to put her under pressure - I'd feel too guilty if anything more happened to her.
    I'm trying to ensure she will keep him until we find the right person - I don't want him to go to kennels, and there is no way he is getting put down.. he is a great dog, and will make his new family very happy.

Advertisement