Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible services offered sticky?

• 29-10-2011 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭

I was thinking would it be possible to set up a services offered sticky on the clare forum for locals trying to get on their feet in business? Just details of what they can offer, contact details etc

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Hi,

The more stickies in a forum the more difficult it can be to navigate through the mobile versions of the site (m.boards.ie and touch.boards.ie), hence we removed a lot of the stickie threads, threads such as recommended service tend to get a lot of traffic and can get cluttered very quickly, e.g. you might be looking for a chimney sweep but you've to go through 5/6 pages of painters/cleaners/roofers/chippies/sparkies/mechanics, it's usually easier just to search the forum for what you're looking for and either post in that, or if it's a zombie thread, to start a new 1.

Thanks for the feedback though, we will take it on board (no pun intended) and take it in mind.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Just to add to Clareman's point, a "services offered" thread sounds a lot like a vehicle for free advertising. I'd be afraid of posters using a thread like that just to tout for business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I don't see the harm in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭tommyl2010

Just to add to Clareman's point, a "services offered" thread sounds a lot like a vehicle for free advertising. I'd be afraid of posters using a thread like that just to tout for business.

Well in fairness, yes, thats the point. Getting your name out to locals for those who cannot afford advertising, and to provide the locals with a quick point of reference when they made someone. I wont lie i would benefit it, but at the same time i would have used it myself it took me weeks to find someone to cut my grass, weeks to find a handy man etc etc when i was new to clare.

But i get what your saying about not using stickys, not to worry just an idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

tommyl2010 wrote: »
    Well in fairness, yes, thats the point. Getting your name out to locals for those who cannot afford advertising, and to provide the locals with a quick point of reference when they made someone. I wont lie i would benefit it, but at the same time i would have used it myself it took me weeks to find someone to cut my grass, weeks to find a handy man etc etc when i was new to clare.

But i get what your saying about not using stickys, not to worry just an idea

They do have websites that are geared just for that purpose, like Yelp (www.yelp.ie). The mobile format is an issue now, but if the admins here bothered to upgrade the forums to the newest version (4.1.7 Patch level 1 I think is the newest) this issue and a few others have been addressed.

It amazes me that a site with this many users doesn't stay on top of the vBulletin upgrades.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Apologies in advance if this comes across a bit bluntly, but I am quite tired! :P
    tommyl2010 wrote: »
    Well in fairness, yes, thats the point. Getting your name out to locals for those who cannot afford advertising, and to provide the locals with a quick point of reference when they made someone. I wont lie i would benefit it,

From the FAQ/site Guidelines:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/faq.php?faq=bie_faq_guidelines#faq_bie_faq_guidelines_advertise
    Don't advertise your company

We strongly protect the conversational feel of this site. Interjecting your commercial message into that conversation is not only rude, counterproductive, against the rules but also a poor way to win customers, build goodwill and will ultimately get you banned.

We have two alternatives for commercial interaction with the community.
    • We have forum-targeted ads - you can find out more here.
    • You can have your own forum for your own company/organisation - please contact us.
    Promotion is NOT our focus here, discussion is.

http://www.boards.ie/contact/
    Can I post about my survey / event / company / charity?
    Boards.ie is funded by advertising. We charge for this. Please respect our site and users by contacting us if you wish to advertise.

Please use http://www.boards.ie/advertise/ to contact our sales team.

Put simply, the forum is for discussion. It's not the Golden Pages.

Advertisement