Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The kindness of strangers

Options
  • 29-10-2011 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

To the nice Australian man in Palmerstown who lent me his phone, I know you most likely don't use boards, but thank you so much for lending me your phone and for not accepting the money I tried to give you to make up for the credit I inevitably used.

People like this always make me smile, the type of people who would go out of their way to help another human being and ask for nothing in return.

So AH, when was the last time a stranger went out of their way to help you out? I'm in a great mood now!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭cml387

30 years ago,some nice people gave me a lift home from Portroe (Co. Tipp)

As I was covered in vomit at the time from over indulgence it was a kind gesture (or an example of the beer scooter at work).

I have no idea who they were, I salute you now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

"One drop of kindness can spoil a whole vat of hate." Henry Rollins.

Yeah restores my faith in humanity for all of five minutes. But I like to be thankful too. Good karma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I was captured and held in a prison camp and only for John Rambo I wouldn't be here today.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

My brother lost his wallet outside my apartment the other day. A girl found it and handed it in to reception with everything intact. We found out her apartment number and name and my brothers getting her a thank you card and a lotto ticket. Nice to know there are plenty of decent people out there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

A random dude donated 20euro to help me clear a bar tab that had gotten out of control in Milan. He genuinely could have saved my life as the proprietor of the establishment in question had begun to threaten physical violence and these weren't the kind of people who messed around.

I got he's details and as I'd cleaned out my bank account I sent him on the 20 plus interest when I got home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Last year sometime I went on a mystery drive and got stuck on some country lane.. I walked a good mile looking for help and the first person I spoke to obliged. He had to walk another mile at least to get his tractor and he drove me down to where my car was and towed me out.

That mightn't seem like the most humanitarian thing in the world, but to me at that time, nothing could have been more humane =p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

A friend of mine was in America recently and lost his driving licence. He searched everywhere but no joy. When he got home a couple of weeks ago he was gonna apply for a new one but a day or two later the licence arrived in the post. Someone found it in the street and posted it back to Ireland. Thought that was nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Funnily enough, today in the supermarket, an elderly woman was short by 12 euro (her bill was 62 and she only had 50) she was trying to decide what to put back, I swear she only had the basics, nothing fancy in her trolley, and a young lad, I'd say about 18/19 just handed over a 20 to pay for the balance. I thought the poor woman was gonna have a heart attack, she was very grateful, cos she said all she has is her pension!

Nice to see such humanity in one so young!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Why didn't you run off with his phone?

• Advertisement

Why didn't you run off with his phone?

We're not all hardened cynics like your good self Killer ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Fbjm wrote: »
    To the nice Australian man in Palmerstown who lent me his phone, I know you most likely don't use boards, but thank you so much for lending me your phone and for not accepting the money I tried to give you to make up for the credit I inevitably used.

People like this always make me smile, the type of people who would go out of their way to help another human being and ask for nothing in return.

So AH, when was the last time a stranger went out of their way to help you out? I'm in a great mood now!

What actually happened....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

I absolutely hate these kinda things "thanks to the person who..."

They're not gonna see it, make sure they know you're thankful at that moment!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Met a girl, made a terrible first impression, but she still gave me the ride.

Theres some good in this world Mr. Frodo and its worth fighting for..... Lord of the Rings, thats where I went wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

RachaelVO wrote: »
    Funnily enough, today in the supermarket, an elderly woman was short by 12 euro (her bill was 62 and she only had 50) she was trying to decide what to put back, I swear she only had the basics, nothing fancy in her trolley, and a young lad, I'd say about 18/19 just handed over a 20 to pay for the balance. I thought the poor woman was gonna have a heart attack, she was very grateful, cos she said all she has is her pension!

Nice to see such humanity in one so young!:)

He obviously got her number in exchange ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I let some junky use my phone at the smithfield luas stop - Worst mistake of my life - I had some junky ringing me trying to sell me heroin for a whole week -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Was on my way from town at about 4am last Saturday, locked out my skull and forced to ride Shank's mare for miles as I literally hadn't a cent in my pocket, and without so much as a sprinkle of baccy to enjoy on the journey. I got stopped by a couple of alcoholics, in their 50's and homeless by the look of it, who asked me if I'd be so kind as to lend them a euro. I told them I had insufficient funds and then, perhaps rather greedily ,asked if they could spare me a smoke. The woman obliged and I stood smoking and chatting with them for a few minutes. As I I was bidding them farewell, they called me back and pushed two smokes into my hand because I "seemed like a lovely lad."

Pretty small thing, but it I still thought it was kinda generous coming from people with **** all, and put a wee spring in my step on the stroll home.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Diageio_Man

ehh i wasent australian i was from new zealand, but no probs ;)

Samich wrote: »
    He obviously got her number in exchange ;)

I'm delighted to say that no he didn't! He didn't really say much at all, he just said it was only a few euro, and that she wasn't to worry about it. If I was his Mammy, I'd be very proud of him!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭SuperDude87

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

was runnin to catch a bus to work when suddenly a nice young woman driving by asked where i was goin so she droppEd me off at the bus stop :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

When i was 16 over in portugal got completly proper hammered untill i was nearly unconcious :( and a lovely couple got me a taxi back to my hotel and made sure i was alright, met them the next day and they woudnt take any money off me?? Said they only wanted to help me cause i was wearin a Tipp jersey and thats where the wife one lived for over 20 years!:)

God bless ye wherever ye are now!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭IcedOut

pudzey101 wrote: »
    When i was 16 over in portugal got completly proper hammered untill i was nearly unconcious :( and a lovely couple got me a taxi back to my hotel and made sure i was alright, met them the next day and they woudnt take any money off me?? Said they only wanted to help me cause i was wearin a Tipp jersey and thats where the wife one lived for over 20 years!:)

God bless ye wherever ye are now!!:)

Hon Tipp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭hangon

Fbjm wrote: »

Good for you Fbjm that you highlighted this,too many of us have got way too cynical.
    lets fight against cynics who do not realise how many people actually do things out of decency.
    the Garda who died redirecting traffic from a dangerous bridge is a recent high profile example.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Samich wrote: »
    I absolutely hate these kinda things "thanks to the person who..."

They're not gonna see it, make sure they know you're thankful at that moment!!!

You've a fair point, but I like reading that there are some nice people out there. It wouldn't do if all we heard about were the arseholes.
    Pace2008 wrote: »
    Was on my way from town at about 4am last Saturday, locked out my skull and forced to ride Shank's mare for miles as I literally hadn't a cent in my pocket, and without so much as a sprinkle of baccy to enjoy on the journey. I got stopped by a couple of alcoholics, in their 50's and homeless by the look of it, who asked me if I'd be so kind as to lend them a euro. I told them I had insufficient funds and then, perhaps rather greedily ,asked if they could spare me a smoke. The woman obliged and I stood smoking and chatting with them for a few minutes. As I I was bidding them farewell, they called me back and pushed two smokes into my hand because I "seemed like a lovely lad."

Pretty small thing, but it I still thought it was kinda generous coming from people with **** all, and put a wee spring in my step on the stroll home.

Homeless folk can often be surprisingly generous. I've been offered money, alcohol and cigarettes by homeless folk on various occasions. I suppose it's possible they thought I was one of "them" too, but still - generous nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I've been in Ireland 15 years, driving at least 10 years, and have lost track of the number of punctures I've had... but I'm still terrified of getting one, because never once was I able to change the tyre myself, there was always a gentleman to stop and do it for me ! And no, I'm not a Claudia Schiffer lookalike.
    To all my puncture fixers, thanks again. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

I've been in Ireland 15 years, driving at least 10 years, and have lost track of the number of punctures I've had... but I'm still terrified of getting one, because never once was I able to change the tyre myself, there was always a gentleman to stop and do it for me ! And no, I'm not a Claudia Schiffer lookalike.
    To all my puncture fixers, thanks again. :)

Are you Dana?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭hangon

Ficheall wrote: »
    Homeless folk can often be surprisingly generous.

How generous of you to say so Fichell even if somewhat patronising.

i think they were folk(s) even before they became homeless and are equal to the rest of us.

they are not our pets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

hangon wrote: »

i think they were folk(s) even before they became homeless and are equal to the rest of us.

they are not our pets.

Oh shite off. You know perfectly well what he meant.

• Advertisement

hangon wrote: »

they are not our pets.

I'm pretty sure that's NOT how he meant it!

Don't mean to speak for ya Fichell, but I think he meant that people with very little will always share quicker that people with a whole lot! It just happened in this context it was someone who were unfortunately homeless!

Advertisement