Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The kindness of strangers

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

strobe wrote: »
    Oh shite off. You know perfectly well what he meant.

You said it better than I did :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Are you Dana?

How dare you ? it's my fundamental right under this constitution to post here anonymously :p;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭ynul31f47k6b59

Was sitting in the car (window down) with my Mum a while back and had a fit of sneezing, asked Mum if she had any tissues, she said no - the woman in the next car said 'here, I have some' and threw a little pack of tissues in my window. Fair play to her, even though she was earwigging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭hangon

strobe wrote: »
    Oh shite off. You know perfectly well what he meant.

Indeed i did but i have read so many posts that patronise the homeless as if half the Country could not end up in the same boat.
    it was a sample case of many threads not directed at Fichell in particular but rather the patronising superior attitude so many have.
    it used to be used in another time and another place by people who thought they were Liberal compared to others, the saying was:

"Some of my best friends are black"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

This summer in Reus airport in Spain. My housemate and i were heading home after a short trip away, we ran out of money (kinda drank most of it, stupidity LOL). We had to wait in the airport overnight for 10 hours for our flight. The security guard there told us the airport closes at 12 and we would be kicked out. We told him our story and we had no where else to go, so he informed his manager to leave us stay. He also bought us food and tea. He probably doesnt be on boards but he was so nice, thank you so much! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

because never once was I able to change the tyre myself, there was always a gentleman to stop and do it for me !

I hope you mean that these men offered to change your tyre before you had a chance to do it yourself, rather than that you're actually not capable of changing a tyre yourself. Because the latter would be pathetic situation for a grown woman to be in in this day and age...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

FruitLover wrote: »
    I hope you mean that these men offered to change your tyre before you had a chance to do it yourself, rather than that you're actually not capable of changing a tyre yourself. Because the latter would be pathetic situation for a grown woman to be in in this day and age...

Ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Ouch.

Without knowledge of your situation, if your physically capable of changing it you should learn.

It is really nice to be able to pay stuff forward.. Continuously surprises me how generous some people are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Thank you to the young gullible American girl who went all the way in the summer of 2009. Very kind

KittyKat wrote: »
    My housemate and i were heading home after a short trip away, we ran out of money (kinda drank most of it, stupidity Lol

sounds like you's had fun.it's allowed!:D

Kindess of strangers Kittykat? Ah don't reproach yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

hangon wrote: »
    Indeed i did but i have read so many posts that patronise the homeless as if half the Country could not end up in the same boat.
    it was a sample case of many threads not directed at Fichell in particular but rather the patronising superior attitude so many have.
    it used to be used in another time and another place by people who thought they were Liberal compared to others, the saying was:

"Some of my best friends are black"
    Well, in that case would it not be better to start a thread on your observations rather than jump down the throat of someone and accuse them of patronising, even when you apparently knew they weren't being patronising?

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Well, in that case would it not be better to start a thread on your observations rather than jump down the throat of someone and accuse them of patronising, even when you apparently knew they weren't being patronising?

I did not say that patronising was unique to the poster,just that it is sickingly common on sites to blame the victims,it was i admit a mistake to single out one poster above many others as a sample case,for that i am sorry.

i am not sorry about my core point that people who have not been destroyed by this recession could show a little more compassion though.
    honestly did not think it would get enough notice to start a new thread Pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

sounds like you's had fun.it's allowed!:D

Kindess of strangers Kittykat? Ah don't reproach yourself.

Haha oh yea, that wasnt the half of what happened on that hol, it was a bit of a disaster from the second we got off the plane in Reus. LOL. but looking back now, it was a fun holiday. :) No regrets! :D Chrisies irish bar in salou was the business! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

How generous of you to say so Fichell even if somewhat patronising.

i think they were folk(s) even before they became homeless and are equal to the rest of us.

they are not our pets.

Eh? My point was that homeless people are often more generous than one would expect their means might allow. How, exactly, would you have phrased it in a "non-patronising" fashion?
    Had I used "taxi-drivers" or "footballers" or "black people" or "Cavan folk" or "lesbians" instead of "homeless folk" - which of those would have been deemed as patronising?
    If an old fat guy offered to help me carry a couch up a flight of stairs, would my surprise (or scepticism) be unjustified?

And what's this nonsense about pets?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I'm not picking on homeless people - I think I'm superior to pretty much everyone else on the planet. When I do have time for moralistic reflection on others and pit a homeless man against a drunken student or business fat cat, the homeless dude often wins out - but then I must ask myself - had the homeless person been afforded the same opportunities, might he not have lost a serious moral advantage on many fronts? It's like sewing with camels.
    I did not say that patronising was unique to the poster,just that it is sickingly common on sites to blame the victims

i am not sorry about my core point that people who have not been destroyed by this recession could show a little more compassion though.
    Who blamed what victims for anything?
    Also, I missed where you mentioned your "core point", though it seems to run pretty much parallel to the general sentiment running though the entire thread.

Ficheall wrote: »
    "taxi-drivers" or "footballers"

Then i would have labeled you a Liar!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭howyanow

when driving one evening i saw an old woman franticly waving at me to stop.turns out she had just gotten off a bus but had left her handbag with keys,phone ect in it.i stopped,told her to get in and then went to go after the bus,after about 10mins driving i got ahead of the bus i.e bus -stop ahead and flagged it down,retrieved her stuff then drove her home.she was so releived and delighted with the help.its great to help someone as we all will need it one day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

straaangeer thaaan kindnesss

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭07734

i went into town on saturday with the sole mission of getting some liquorice wheels to make the wheels on a fire engine birthday cake for my 3 year old. naturally, i left it till five oclock before remembering, and frantically went on a hunt around all the pic'n'mixes i could find. BUT, seeing as it was nearly hallowe'en, all the sweet shops had little or nothing left.

eventually, i remembered the olde fashioned sweet shop on duke street; even though the girl had the shutters half closed and the till turned off, she gave me the wheels. and nicest of all, i had only a twenty, and she had no change, so she said i could drop in the one euro it cost when i'm next in town.

it was only a tiny thing, but he was so so delighted with the cake. i doubt if the girl will know how happy she made a little (fire-engine-obsessed) boy on his birthday. sometimes thank you barely covers it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

I just returned to Ireland after being away in Asia for a few years. On my last day abroad, exactly one week ago today, I closed my bank account, withdrew the balance in cash. I had a hectic day sorting things out, and went out to have a beer with friends at the end of the day. I ordered the first round at the bar and then realised I had lost my wallet. Panic set in. It had my credit card, laser card, and all my cash, as well as my residents visa. We retraced our footsteps but didn't find it. I got on to my bank here in Ireland to cancel the cards, but I was still really upset about all the cash.

I went back home really worried and stressed, and found the police there waiting for me, with the wallet, with everything inside, untouched. Some young lad had found it on the street, and took it to the police, who checked out my visa, contacted my employer and went straight to my apartment when they found out I was about to leave the country. I had no phone at the time.

They gave me the details of the guy who found it, he was due to start military service the next day. This weekend he sent me an update on how he's getting on in the army. A good soldier! I'm forever grateful to him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Out drinking with my mate in a little by the sea town, 15km from home. Got stranded and decided at 3am to walk home as we had no choice but to. Started raining and no jumpers (Typical irish summer). But we got about 2km out the road when a car pulled up and told us to jump in. We noticed it was a taxi and we told we had no money to give him and he said no bother, I wasn't going to charge ye anyway. Dropped us home free of charge, so thank you Mr. Taxi man!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

OP probably now has 15-16 Aussies squatting in their house.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

My phone fell out of my pocket once in a lecture hall - the person who found it handed it to security, but not before texting the last person in my inbox saying "I've just found this phone in Rm X, please tell the owner it's with the security guard in X Building" and included their number in case I didn't know where to find the security office. A small gesture but I was so grateful to get it back!

Another one: after the Pukkelpop disaster last August (freak storm at a music festival, stages collapsed, everything destroyed etc.) a Belgian taxi driver allowed 4 mud-soaked and bedragged Irish girls who didn't speak a word of Dutch into the taxi, brought us to the train station and tried to translate the news reports for us - and only charged us €7 for a 20min journey. We expected to have to pay for the cleaning of the cab etc. Also, we'd managed to ring the hostel in Brussels that we'd been staying in the night before to try get back in - the receptionist left the hostel open an extra two hours (until 1am) to give us time to get back and didn't charge us the deposit. If it wasn't for those two people, we would have been sleeping on the street in an unknown city where we didn't speak the language (in the rain). Have never been so grateful for anything!!!

Advertisement