Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Absentee Mods

Options
  • 29-10-2011 8:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭

This might be just the only example on this site but the History forum still has BriantheBard listed as a forum mod even do he has been inactive for quite a while. Now for regulars of the forum they will know to contact JohnniebeGood if they need to report anything, query or bounce an idea etc but is this not confusing for newbies? I know I usually contact one mod rather than CC all the forum mods because I often found mods duplicating replies which was confusing for me and time wasting for them. Is there a set period of inactivation that after the Mod is then stood down from the forum mod lists?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

There doesnt seem to be, similar example on the politics forum where a mod returns every six months or so, a brief flurry of bans and cards, then vanishes into the night...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

This is the case in many forums. I guess it's up to the CMods to stay on top of these things and ensure that forums are being properly maintained.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Send a quick PM to the CatMods if you're concerned that a moderator isn't active enough.

I had to do it myself in the Midwest forums over the last year. Got myself 3 great new co-mods after the original Midwest mods moved on/stepped down/got too busy to post. :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

We're aware that brianthebard hasn't been online and we're currently looking at the mod situation in his two forums.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

jonnie knows I keep an eye on things there too, as Cat Mod.

But, as Zaph says, the situation is under review.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

So the answer is then there isn't a set time period but the Cmods constantly review the situation on a case by case basis with feedback from the remaining forum mods.

By the way I am not having a crack at the history forum or Cmods just trying to make Boards more user friendly. After all this site might have started as a Quake buddies meeting spot but now its a professional company that helps pay the bills of quite a few people and the more user friendly it is, the more users it has and so easier to flog the adverts that keep boards staff in stable employment and a successful growing business.

Corsendonk wrote: »
    So the answer is then there isn't a set time period but the Cmods constantly review the situation on a case by case basis with feedback from the remaining forum mods.

That's pretty much it. We have to respect the fact that all the mods on Boards are volunteers, and consequently have real lives as well. While we can't demand that they're available 24/7, we would hope that they'd let us know if they're no longer in a position to moderate. Of course there may be reasons why they can't do that. For example a well known mod died last year, but should something equally tragic happen to a lesser-known mod of a small forum it may be some time before we are aware of it. In cases where we haven't heard anything we do make an effort to contact the mod before taking any further action. However, as you said, there isn't a set time, a lot depends on how busy the forum is, how many other mods there are, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Has anyone ever tried to contact Brianthebard?:confused:

ejmaztec wrote: »

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

As ropedrink points out there are many reasons why someone may stop moderating. In the current times people go back to college or emigrate and thus have other priorities. Sufficient time being given for a mod to return is important as when things evolve they may return to the role (as ropedrink did).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Zaph wrote: »
    Yes

More than once too.

r3nu4l wrote: »
    More than once too.

I suppose that we can only hope that everything's okay with him, whatever reason there is for his vanishing without trace since May.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I suppose that we can only hope that everything's okay with him, whatever reason there is for his vanishing without trace since May.

Exactly. At the end of the day, a forum without an active mod is a bad thing but let's face it, it really isn't the end of the world. I'd much rather Brainthebard's absence was due to his being too busy spending Euromillions winnings on coke and hookers than anything tragic! :)

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Exactly. At the end of the day, a forum without an active mod is a bad thing but let's face it, it really isn't the end of the world. I'd much rather Brainthebard's absence was due to his being too busy spending Euromillions winnings on coke and hookers than anything tragic! :)

If that is the case, then it's a tragedy that we weren't invited to the coke and hookers party.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

If that is the case, then it's a tragedy that we weren't invited to the coke and hookers party.:(

Brian is a top bloke and an historian par excellence .

I don't think we should forget that Brian had H & H running as an Irish History forum and got people posting using history as a discipline while keeping it fun & accessable. And, the standard's were high and other academics value him.

It was possibly the best Irish History Forum on the web for non academics and that took some doing given the nature of Irish History.

Really it is boards loss and Brian's leaving was no surprise at all and I have no doubt he will pop up in the real world.

Good on ya Brian .

Advertisement