Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GUI for creating very basic SQL tables & queries

Options
  • 29-10-2011 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭

hi, very new to sql, we just started it in college this term, we do our queries in the terminal on basic tables stored on the college servers, no access to them from home to practice our queries on....

So Im looking to make my own simple tables and do very basic select and join type stuff, to practice my syntax etc !

any recommended software for me, Ive had a look online, alot of stuff for seasoned system analysts etc, but I really want something for a beginner n00b if possible

so table creator and query cosole IDE type thingy :D

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Saw this on another thread the other day which might help.
    MOH wrote: »
    Toad is a fairly decent frontend for MySQL, if you're running it locally. Or even remotely, once you've remote access to the db

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

tricky D wrote: »
    Saw this on another thread the other day which might help.

cheers tricky, ya I came across that also, doesnt fit the simple bill unfortunately, or free !!

looking for something extremely n00b friendly, as bluejay ide would be for a java n00b

thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭SomeGuyCalledMi

Toad is good but you will need a database too. You could try Oracle 11g express edition. Its free. You can then download Oracle sql developer (free) which is like toad. Are you using Oracle in college?

Toad is good but you will need a database too. You could try Oracle 11g express edition. Its free. You can then download Oracle sql developer (free) which is like toad. Are you using Oracle in college?

Im not 100% sure, Id think so, we ssh into our server and run sqlplus which is oracle i believe ?!

cheers for that, Ill have a look, came across this also, looks like it ticks a few box's for me DbVisualizer

thanks lads

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Mysql workbench might also be worth a look too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Toad is what the professionals use, certainly not recommended for beginners.

Oracle Express is fairly straightforward (for Oracle) and SQL Developer is what I use to teach students introductory databases. So I would recommend it for learning the basics.

Oracle Express also has SQL plus, so you can practice both GUI and command line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

You could also use Myphpadmin - handy utility for setting up tables and populating them. You can then export any MySQL statements from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Microsoft Access is handy database gui, if you are student you can download it free I guess with office.

srsly78 wrote: »
    Microsoft Access is handy database gui, if you are student you can download it free I guess with office.

hmm I actually had this all along, :pac: thanks for all the suggestions everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

SQL Server 2008 Express.

• Advertisement
Advertisement