Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobbridge

Options
  • 29-10-2011 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

Hi,

I am thinking of advertising for a sales & marketing role in my business on the job bridge scheme. The scheme is basically where you employ a person who has been unemployed for a certain period and they get €50 extra on top of their social welfare money.

I'm just wondering has anyone advertised on this? If so, how well did it go?

All other thoughts welcome.

Moggie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

From a job bridge applicant.. no matter how overskilled or unsuitable a candidate, please please reply at least that the person has not be successfull instead of just leaving the person in limbo !!

I could have pulled my hair out this summer applying for positions. ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Exploitation. I fcuking hate the idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

I administer the Jobsbridge in our company. The quality of candidates was very high. The first person we took on had a doctorate. However, he quit last week as it was too far to travel. That was our fault, probably shouldn't have taken on someone that lived so far away.

It's a pain to operate due to the amount of form filling, updating required, especially as I work in an industry where we are inundated with Intern applications as it is and the only reason for using Jobsbridge is so that the interns get €50 extra.

Jobsbridge (or any intern position) will only work well if the intern is getting valid experience and is making a positive contribution to the company. I think there will be a not insignificant number of interns taken on and given a full time job.

A friend of mine is hoping to start recruiting for an accounting intern shortly and he said he'd ensure the Intern would earn extra money and he'd be looking to take the person on full time eventually. He said there'd be no point training up someone just for them to leave and go to another practice. In his instance he'll be using the Jobsbridge as a trial period.

So, I think it's too easy just to write off Jobsbridge as explotation. It's not a million miles away from when I started off in accounting where I got paid less than the dole and I knew of others that actually PAID to be taken on in a practice. Thankfully I don't think we're near that just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 leitrim28

I'm long-term unemployed and will be applying to the JobBridge scheme.
    although it's low income, I would be grateful for the experience and the recent reference on completion. and if you use it as a trial period to full time employment then all the better. or at least for my situation.

Although I am wondering how willing an employer would be, As to unemployed people looking for a career change?

I was in construction but want to go for administration/receptionist internship

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭moggie4000

smcgiff wrote: »
    I administer the Jobsbridge in our company. The quality of candidates was very high. The first person we took on had a doctorate. However, he quit last week as it was too far to travel. That was our fault, probably shouldn't have taken on someone that lived so far away.

It's a pain to operate due to the amount of form filling, updating required, especially as I work in an industry where we are inundated with Intern applications as it is and the only reason for using Jobsbridge is so that the interns get €50 extra.

Jobsbridge (or any intern position) will only work well if the intern is getting valid experience and is making a positive contribution to the company. I think there will be a not insignificant number of interns taken on and given a full time job.

A friend of mine is hoping to start recruiting for an accounting intern shortly and he said he'd ensure the Intern would earn extra money and he'd be looking to take the person on full time eventually. He said there'd be no point training up someone just for them to leave and go to another practice. In his instance he'll be using the Jobsbridge as a trial period.

So, I think it's too easy just to write off Jobsbridge as explotation. It's not a million miles away from when I started off in accounting where I got paid less than the dole and I knew of others that actually PAID to be taken on in a practice. Thankfully I don't think we're near that just yet.

I agree, as i've said we are a start up company so i would be delighted if we trained our intern with the intention of taking them on full time. I would also be looking for someone to see their role as being part of a business who wants to succeed and i think there are lots of people out there on the dole who would like an opportunity to do so. I don't think it's exploitation at all, it's actually an opportunity in my book but then again there will always be people out there with a negative opinion.

My plan was to pay €50 + commission + mobile phone + vehicle, can this be done on this scheme? Wondering as the vehicle would be BIK??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭moggie4000

From a job bridge applicant.. no matter how overskilled or unsuitable a candidate, please please reply at least that the person has not be successfull instead of just leaving the person in limbo !!

I could have pulled my hair out this summer applying for positions. ..

Point taken. I understand your frustration.

Advertisement