Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BF3 Maps impressions

Options
  • 29-10-2011 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭

So its been a day for some and a week for others (whoot!) so lets hear map impressions. I think I've been on all 9 at least once but not in every mode so far. But here is my impressions so far

Caspian Boarder

Conquest on this map is still as much fun as it was in the beta and its obviously quickly becoming the Kharkan of BF3, I already see servers playing no other map but this. Its got a great balance between infantry focus and mutli vehicle warfare. My only comment is that Hilltop is where sh*t happens. Cant remember how many times that point changes hands and people flank or strafe or simply bomb the sh*t out of that place. Such a cool area to hold and even cooler to assault (if you survive)

Rush: Is damn hard. Seriously that initial checkpoint section is bloody murder. So much so that I only pushed past it once so far. The A-10 looks cool but I havnt unlocked air to ground missiles yet so it aint too helpful (2 more unlocks!) once it does start becoming helpful I say it'll become easier. But right now its pretty exciting but very hard to get through the checkpoint.

Operation Metro

Conquest I've played briefly and like its rush mode its infantry only, but it focuses on the best part of the rush mode, the ticket/platform areas. Lots of cool firefights. Sadly it is incredibly easy to lock the other team in their spawn and win. Great level for the shotgun attachment though when playing assault.

Rush: I havnt seen it in the full game yet, I get the impression its luke warm reception in the beta has made it absent in most playlists.

Grand Bazaar

Conquest: Firstly DAMN THIS MAP IS PRETTY. I love that rain effect. Secondly the alleyway is a deathtrap. Seriously intense firefights in it, but people havnt clicked how easy it is to flank it yet. Some nice open roads on either side of the map allows for some quick vehicle flanking or if you can avoid the snipers on foot sneaking. The Square and Market are nice open points to cap with enough buildings and sniping nests to allow for clever firefights.

Rush: Havnt played the rush version yet :(

Tehran Highway

Conquest: Really didnt like this the first time I played it. Found it to be confusing . But after Mossey told me its a great sniper map I ended up going back and trying it as a sniper. I probably had my best Recon match yet on this map. Some great fights can be had around the walkbridge as you can get pretty close to it without being spotted and get some midrange sniping off. The vertical elements allow for some good vehicle pwnage dropping rpgs right on top of them and the highway cuts the map nicely in half.

Rush: Briefly one game and it felt very intense. I found myself getting bottled quite easily as we pushed point to point. Not so sure of it.

Canals

Conquest: Nice spread out map. I like how you can directly attack 3 points from water, puts the amphibious APC to good use and the big open areas really highlight the long to mid range gunnery battles.

Rush: Havnt played it on rush yet :(

Damavand Peak

Conquest: Didnt think it was going to go well due to skipping the highlight of the map (that 500ft drop) but the tunnel with the two bases layout makes for one of the best maps in the game. It's by design very narrow pushing a very clear battleline back and forth, but the use of scout choppers and transport choppers really shake things up when you pin an army in by taking a point behind them. Tanks are rolling juggernauts pushing things forward but the fights in the tunnel and in the two bases are all intense in their own ways. Very good map.

Rush: Starts a bit weak with the initial run, but it just gets better and better. One of the longest rush maps and easily one of the best. The round with the 500 ft drop alone makes this worth it. It's just icing that the one before hand and the tunnel after are also quite brilliant. And even if you are not attacking, the jump round is a lot of fun trying to knock people out midair and trying to move cover to cover avoiding the helicopters.

operation firestorm

Conquest: Easily the most tank friendly map in the game. Epic tank battles make up half this map. The other half is some clever building layouts making for brief but exciting sieges when taking each point (again all being quite unique)

Rush: Its one of those give them an inch and you lose the game maps where its really about repelling the attackers ASAP as once they get into the MCOM area it becomes very challanging to get them out again.

Seine Crossing

Conquest: How can a map that looks so alike Operation Metro be so...different, this is one of the best maps in the game. The Mcom areas have multiple attack points the design is open despite the quite closed in look of the map, vehicles lock down areas and need a coordinated engie attack to get them out. The bridges cut things in half and *you* will swap sides easily during this game. Had one of my favourite matches on this game where despite losing we pulled it back to close lost over having the floor wiped with us.

Rush: Really this map stands out as an awesome map. In rush its all about timed pushes on the M-coms as they are all in these kill room like areas that are very hard to assault. Intense infantry/IFV combat that opens up into a wide frontline when you hit the bridges and someone described it being like the ending of Saving Private Ryan...very astute it does. Lots of sniping and run & gun oppurtunities.

Kharg Island

Conquest: Close to Caspian Boarder for being another well balanced inf/vehicle map. Not as stand out as Caspian but very exciting all the same, it also has more choice of vehicles making for some pretty intense air battles.

Rush: This is actually the rush level that feels most like a BC2 rush level. The first section, defending or attacking is pretty cool and it opens up quite nicely in the 2nd part before closing down again into the most direct but intense m-com stations in the game (they are both in the same building which is very varied in its levels and destructable walls making it one you need to push really hard on to win. Exciting to win attacking it more so defending.

And thats my initial impressions...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

In order of preference:

I guess its

1. Damavand Peak
    2. Seine Crossing
    3. Caspian Boarder
    4. Kharg Island
    5. Grand Brazaar
    6. Operation Firestorm
    7. Canals
    8. Tehran Highway
    9. Operation Metro

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i just play.... i newer have a clue what is the name of the map i am currently killing ****... :p

So far that caspien border is my least favorite.

really like the one with the market, i have no idea of the name lol. some Easternish town anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

that would probably be grand brazaar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

good write up. The work gone into these maps is extraordinary, so far really liking Seine Crossing. iv'e only played 64 player games so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Loving the variety of maps so far. Cant wait to see Karkand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Still havent played them all and played 10 hours since friday :p

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Metro conquest the worse map ever. Super unfair for team which is starting from bottom of metro. Just lost a game with opposite team still having 200 tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

metro, grand bazarr and seine crossing. only 3 maps im playing.

seine only servers mostly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

copeyhagen wrote: »

seine only servers mostly

Which one's have you found that are 24/7 Seine?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Metro conquest the worse map ever.

nonsense. i play that map on conquest every chance i get. it has given me some of the best experiences of my gaming career especially when i'm spawn trapped or there is a massive battle for the b flag.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Schwiiing wrote: »
    nonsense. i play that map on conquest every chance i get. it has given me some of the best experiences of my gaming career especially when i'm spawn trapped or there is a massive battle for the b flag.

Completely agree. Really intense fighting on that map! I love trying to do a legger up the stairs at B to try and get to A

Schwiiing wrote: »

Maybe you're playing on console 12v12, but it is nigh on impossible to get up to B in a 32 v 32 map.

I've tried it with 16v16 and it wasn't as bad, but it's pointless on 32v32

• Registered Users Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Maybe you're playing on console 12v12, but it is nigh on impossible to get up to B in a 32 v 32 map.

I've tried it with 16v16 and it wasn't as bad, but it's pointless on 32v32

that map is far too small for 32v32. u need operation firestorm or another map similarly big and wide open for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Anyone else have Metro un-ticked in their server browser preferences?

Beta was MORE than enough of that map imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Playing on the xbox metro is a noobtoobers paradise, I've a had fun fighting for the B point in conquest though! I don't think I've played them all yet, but Caspian certainly sticks out as a favourite. I can't say I'm a huge fan of the urban based maps, though that's more than likely due to the fact that I'm constantly getting sniped off :D Great gae though, love it!

Such a terrific game - first time I've been able to say "Covering Fire" and actually provide proper covering fire. The suppression mechanic is excellent.

Anyway - back OT.

Caspian border - stunning map and great interplay between armoured warfare and ground warfare. This is my preferred map, and with a decent squad or two covering hilltop you can have amazing games.

Metro is hit and miss for me, as is Seine - I like them, but on 64pl they can descend into rocket spam. BTW - rockets need to be nerfed, they are rapidly becoming stupidly popular and I'm not playing Quake for a reason.

What I do like about Seine is the team play element of avoiding bottlenecks and moving with a squad to take a rear control point. This is also what I like about Grand Bazar.

Operation Firestorm and Tehran highway are fine - not too familiar with them yet and they are a little sniper focused which is never fun (unless you are a sniper).

Kharg is nice on conquest, it and canals are in my mind on a par - canals is very team focused I find.

Damavand peak isn't great on conquest - at least I've not found it great. Rush its EPIC. That sky dive is absolutely fantastic - I had a really good squad of long time clan players all rush the cliff at the one time and jump off in tandem - landed and proceeded to clear right to the final control point in on sweep. Felt Epic.

Advertisement