Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to approach neighbour over dog poo?

• 29-10-2011 9:03pm

Going to work early this morning and saw one of the neighbours with his dog (not on a leash btw). The dog did a poo on the grass in front of my house, then beside the garden wall, then went into a garden (not mine) and did another poo! I was shocked as the neighbour watched and walked on. It was early, I was still sleepy, and quite angry so didn't want to approach the neighbour. Then coming home from work the dog was on the green doing yet another poo, with the owner again watching and not picking it up!

I have a dog, I always bring little baggies to pick it up. Yeah it's disgusting, but it's more digusting to walk in it!

So how do I approach the owner? He's a neighbour but I don't know him, aged around 60, very cranky looking :o Looks like he'd get quite defensive if I tell him to pick up. Also there's signs in our estate basically begging people to pick up after their dogs. I just hate this inconsiderate digusting behaviour:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Easiest way, to stop any comebacks on yourself, would be to write a letter, saying what you have seen, and that you have evidence, and that if this doesn't stop you will report the dog and him to the dog warden, garda etc.

Wait until he goes out and drop it in his letterbox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

scudzilla wrote: »
    Easiest way, to stop any comebacks on yourself, would be to write a letter, saying what you have seen, and that you have evidence, and that if this doesn't stop you will report the dog and him to the dog warden, garda etc.

Wait until he goes out and drop it in his letterbox

That should work. Fine up to 3k afaik.
    Might be worth a mention in the letter that he keeps the box of All-Bran on a higher shelf too ! Kin hell, I thought my dog was bad:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82,956 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd place it on a shovel and drop it on their doorstep, repeat process until it stops, even a halfwit will realise it's their dog that's the issue. I wouldn't get in to a discussion with them about it, they are clearly inconsiderate to start with and not worth the hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

Stick a nappy through his letterbox hehehe

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭gazahayes

Put some of the dog poo into a paper bag light it and place it outside the door of his house ring the bell and run!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

You cant teach a grumpy old man to change his habits. Your best bet is to either;

1. Deal with it.
    2. Move away.
    3. Dont leave your house until he dies.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Happyzebra

Photo the dog pooing :-o (evidence) then scoop it up and pop it on his doorstep.. Not in a bag... Use a shovel so it will mushy ....be nice an inconvient for him to clean up. When he approaches you tell him it belongs to him and you are simply returning it! Wouldn't bother with trying and 'talk' ....actions speak louder and contain much clarity!

Case in point...where i live the parking isn't great. Our neighbours friends would sometimes park accoss he road which makes it difficult for me to reverse out... This happened a few times. V annoying. So Instead of 'talking' I simply parked accross the road from them... Hey presto they got the message and buddies ceased annoying parking habits.

Always work on the assumption that people are either stupid or ignorant and act accordingly!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

i wouldn't recommend a letter through the letterbox as someone who has been on receiving end of one a while ago! I'd have more respect for someone who knocked on the door and said it face to face politely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Bring over some bags too him "Hi these are the poo bags I use, they're very good" etc etc failing that I'd scoop and leave it in his garden and he'll get the message. Also I'd put a fence up to keep dogs and other unwanted guests off my grass!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Just confront him the next time you see him doing it, at least then there can be no denying it.

This guy is obviously totally ignorant and selfish. I would definately say it to his face (doesn't sound like a guy that'd take subtle hints) and tell him you've witnessed this happening many times. Maybe take the angle that your kids/kids in general if you don't have kids play on that green and you are concerned about them falling in it and possible picking up disease or infection from the faeces.

Be polite but remember he is totally in the wrong here and if he isn't so nice that's not your fault. Just try to stand up to him. At the very least he should cop on to the fact that people are aware of what he's doing (or not doing as the case may be!) and hopefully he'll change...

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! Wasn't around today to catch him at it again, but I've decided I'm going to confront him directly. I'll just give him a little present of poop baggies and tell him I see him letting his dog **** everywhere and he needs to clean up. If he doesn't care, well then I'm gonna start taking pictures and make sure he gets a fine. I might leave the not keeping the dog on a leash though for another time :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

maybe be nice about it first though rather than running in all confrontational with a bag of dog poo. You don't know how he will react so i personally would try the softly softly approach first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

had a neighbour doin the same in my garden. I wasn't polite about it i told him to pick it up and if it happened again id be around wit my 4 to repay him. Never happened again. My da had the same trouble and went out and asked was he pickin it up, the guy said he forgot his bag so he said no prob i have plenty and made sure he picked it up and that was the end of his problem too

Advertisement