Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

skills for primary teaching

• 29-10-2011 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

hi, I have just dropped out of my course and I am going to apply for primary teaching next year through the cao. I was just wondering does anyone have any idea's as to things I could do/ new skills i could learn during this year which would be helpful for my career as a primary teacher an also to enhance my C.V? Thanks any help is much appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 pinkmilk

Hi Lovesir,
    I think if u could get work experience either through volunteering in a primary school or work as an sna it would not only help your c.v but also give you an idea of what a primary school is like these days and give you some ideas for you own teaching practice!! It would possibly be an idea to brush up on your Irish too if its not your strong point. I know in Mary I we had to do B.A Irish in first year as an academic subject as well as the muineadh na gaeilge and gaeilge gairmiuil.

Good luck with it all!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

First aid, sport/dance/music/IT Research special needs and the common learning differences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 lovesir

Thanks for all the advice i have put my name down to volunteer in my local primary school, is playing an instrument a big part of being a primary teacher? what one would we best to learn in my free time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

The tin whistle, though it's not 100% necessary; It just helps when you're teaching the kids their tunes. (Do the schools still do that?)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Depends on the school, we teach tradtional music so all the children start on the tinwhistle but bewteen us, our teachers can play the fiddle, trad flute,concertina,accordian,bodhrán and piano. Some schools perfer to teach more classical stuff,but having an instrument would certainly be no load.

• Advertisement
Advertisement