Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy Note

Options
  • 29-10-2011 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Anyone know when this is coming to our shores and what the expected price will be .... i reckon this one will be a bit of a revelation :cool:

Was in CPW today but they haven't got a date for release here.
    Official release in the UK has been brought forward to 3rd November.

http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxynote/note/index.html?type=find

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Bit of an odd case this one, i expect it to flop but ya never know... Gorgeous device though, no doubt..

It'll be dearer than the Galaxy S2 for a start, about €550 - 600 sim free i would imagine..

Actually, looking at the specifications of it there, i see the screen is Super AMOLED as opposed to Super AMOLED Plus, so a similar case to the Galaxy Nexus..

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭crx===

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Bit of an odd case this one, i expect it to flop but ya never know... Gorgeous device though, no doubt..

It'll be dearer than the Galaxy S2 for a start, about €550 - 600 sim free i would imagine..

Actually, looking at the specifications of it there, i see the screen is Super AMOLED as opposed to Super AMOLED Plus, so a similar case to the Galaxy Nexus..

Thanks for the reply , yeah it shadows the nexus a bit in terms of resolution and dual processor speed but for me the real bonus is the flexibility and intuitiveness it presents , having said that I do hope it won't crack in a jeans pocket :(

I have presently a HTC Desire and a 7" tablet both running Gingerbread and having used both think this would be the best combination in terms of functionality and portability , unless some else has better ideas ?:confused:

Anyone go any ideas on release date ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

I just felt like jumping in: it's a nice phone.
    I never would have thought of something like this handset, but it's nice.

I saw the adverts on Facebook today (Yes, I know), but it's a very different approach to mobile devices. I would love one, but the possible size is such a pressure, along with the price. It's a nice handset, but I can't imagine the weight and whatnot in the trouser pocket!

I would love to try it out. However, returning to OP, if it's being advertised today on the web (as a massive drive) it's here within the next month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭AstonMartin

No idea about smartphones but will be getting one in the next couple of weeks.

Basically, is this phone the latest technology android phone?

No idea about smartphones but will be getting one in the next couple of weeks.

Basically, is this phone the latest technology android phone?

I been looking for what I believe to be the 'next thing' for some time now , having no reason to switch from my HTC Desire having sampled newer device as they have come out.
    As far as this device is concerned I feel it is defiantly different and as i have become more online dependent than the need for phone calls and feel that this is the right move.So as StaticNoise said ,if you can live with the larger size of the handset ,IMO it is the latest technology or on par with the forthcoming galaxy nexus but with extra benefits and functionality and also more processor power,also as pointed out earlier it will most lightly be expensive but hopefully with in my budget ;)
    This device is also confirmed to be getting android 4.0 (Ice-cream Sandwich)

Just found its being sold from amazon.de .....
    http://www.amazon.de/Samsung-Galaxy-Smartphone-AMOLED-Touchscreen-Android/dp/B005SYZ4SQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320061139&sr=8-1

Any disadvantage to buying this now over waiting for it to be sold here ? (other than the fact of after-sale backup of course!)
    Also will an unlocked unbranded phone be eligible for an earlier OS update compared to a branded handset ?
    Opinions appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

It certainly will be getting the Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade faster than a network branded handset. Thats not actually as expensive as i thought it would be, considering its literally just out. Considering the SGS2 is currently about €470 on amazon.co.uk..

Wouldnt be worried about after-sale backup, surely there's a pan European warranty on the phone or whatever..

Anyone ever bought a phone from Amazon Germany ? I'm a bit worried that there will be a network or language problem ... anyone with similar experiences ?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,565 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Only came across this phone today..........tempted!

crx=== wrote: »
    Anyone ever bought a phone from Amazon Germany ? I'm a bit worried that there will be a network or language problem ... anyone with similar experiences ?:confused:
    I think quite a few bought the LG Optimus & (WP7 phone) from amazon.de recently (posted on Bargain Alerts) - all went fine AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

So is it safe enough to buy it from the German site?

monster1 wrote: »

Give me a few day and i'll let you know , placed the order yesterday. :)
    Price is really good compare to Uk or Ebay.

Received my Galaxy Note (phablet) from Germany on Thursday after only 3 days from ordering.. :)
    No problems with language or networks ;)
    All I can say is this thing is amazing and also quite large although not too big for my pocket. The screen is amazing and its easily twice as fast as my htc desire. Very pleased overall and would have no problem recomending a phone from Amazon.de. .. great service and saving made !!

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Damie

How is the battery life with the bigger batt?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Any news on when they'll be available on Irish carriers ?

Damie wrote: »
    How is the battery life with the bigger batt?

Cheers

Hi Damie,

With heavy use , a quarter of battery left at the end of the day.
    On normal use getting 2 days before having to Charge .
    Bigger battery but bigger Screen also ;)

Wrote this message with the stylus.....class (Learning to write again :cool: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Ironhand

Does anyone have a 32gb version already? I hope Samsung really releases it. They never did for SGS2 despite announcing it.

Ironhand wrote: »
    Does anyone have a 32gb version already? I hope Samsung really releases it. They never did for SGS2 despite announcing it.

Don't know about 32gb versions, but mine came with 16gb internal memory I got a 32gb micro sd card (class 10) for €48 ... Which gives a total of 48gb. .. Plenty of space IMO :)

Don't know about 32gb versions, but mine came with 16gb internal memory I got a 32gb micro sd card (class 10) for €48 ... Which gives a total of 48gb. .. Plenty of space IMO :)

32gb internal memory plus 64gb micro sd equals 96gb of craziness sounds a lot better imo. :D

• Advertisement

Ironhand wrote: »
    32gb internal memory plus 64gb micro sd equals 96gb of craziness sounds a lot better imo. :D

Only supports a maximum of 32gb micro sd :(. Still even with HD movies loaded should take some time to fill. :)

Only supports a maximum of 32gb micro sd :(. Still even with HD movies loaded should take some time to fill. :)

Nope. Galaxy Note supports 64gb micro sd cards, check out the proof on video: 64GB Micro SD Card Works on Samsung Galaxy S2 & HTC Sensation

64gb cards will even work with the original Galaxy S.

By the way, Class 10 cards aren't the way to go with smartphones. I would place a link here but not sure if I can because the info is from another forum.

Samsung galaxy note now at €517 on Amazon.de. ...:eek:

http://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B005SYZ4SQ/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1321089414&sr=8-1

Should have waited a bit longer :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

I ordered it there this evening from amazon.de, would there be any need for a screen protector or case?

I ordered it there this evening from amazon.de, would there be any need for a screen protector or case?

Bought both of these to protect it, protector does not affect screen clarity.. Best I've seen.A gel case would be better as it is real smooth and slippery... Imo.. If looks are not important.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B005PWO4P0/ref=mp_s_a_4?qid=1322009614&sr=8-4
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B005TD0NQ4/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1322009822&sr=8-1

Also insured it under house insurance all risk policy €5 extra per year!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 sajajo

Anyone reckon there is any point in waiting for any of the Irish carriers to stock it in the new year? I'd hate to buy it, and then you can get it here with a contract for half price. No one seems to have any interest in stocking it. I'm baffled. Are we the only country who doesn't get it???

Meteor just commented that they are looking at the Note at the moment, but no date confirmed yet. That at least is something. It was more a no go from everyone else!

http://www.phonedog.com/2011/12/29/samsung-galaxy-note-worldwide-shipments-surpass-1-million-coming-to-the-u-s-in-2012/

So it officially a worldwide success. Still to come to the US in 2012, BUT WILL BYPASS IRELAND???? All those Network providers bringing in new phones like the Galaxy Y, W and what ever other letter, which do nothing else than every other phone already out there. The Nexus is out on some, which is great, but if you do want that one in all device to bring around, it still isn't it. Baffled, baffled, baffled. If there is any network doing any market research !!! You'd gain A LOT of new customers by getting the Note. I'm just waiting. But I probably just buy it in Germany now. Fed up waiting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

I currently have an iPad and an iPhone and the combination works well. I have had an SGSII and even though the phone was incredibly thin using the phone in one had was a bit cumbersome and awkward.

Im genuinely a bit confused by this product.
    It's too small to be a tablet.
    Too large to be a phone, as it's too large to fit in pockets (maybe in loose jeans/tracksuits - fine if thats what you wear) so basically mandates the use of a man/handbag, again not always practical.
    For my money you might as well have a 10" tab and get something done? It's no cheaper than a 10" either. Suppose it is cheaper than a 10" tab and a 3.5-4" phone combination. Have I missed something?

Advertisement