Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

www.bookdepository.co.uk

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭elaicah

if anyones interested theres over 13,000 ebooks (mostly older) available for download on the book depository website - see here.

I posted a list of interesting books earlier in bargain alerts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Delighted with the books I got from here, got Salem's Lot Illustrated edition for 4.50 and got The History of the World in 100 objects for 11.50 I think, I'd only been looking at it in Hughes and Hughes for 21.99, it's an excellent site!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭franc 91

The Book Depository have sent me the wrong book (which I sent back) and I'm still trying to get hold of it. On PriceMinister (in France) Awesome have lots of children's books from DK for example (which I'm interested in buying) at 1.99 euros and they 'charge' 9 euros to send it, so it makes you wonder what they're up to - on other sites they don't ask for that amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

franc 91 wrote: »
    The Book Depository have sent me the wrong book (which I sent back) and I'm still trying to get hold of it. On PriceMinister (in France) Awesome have lots of children's books from DK for example (which I'm interested in buying) at 1.99 euros and they 'charge' 9 euros to send it, so it makes you wonder what they're up to - on other sites they don't ask for that amount.

Have you tried awesomebooks.com?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭franc 91

The thing is, I don't have une carte bleue (visa card) so I can only go through PM, though over Christmas someone used his on my behalf for which I paid him back in cash. Sending money through La Poste costs more than 7 euros (and we're supposed to share the same currency, would you believe) and that's before you get to pay the p&p - and by the way, trying to get books from Ireland is a nightmare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

franc 91 wrote: »
    The thing is, I don't have une carte bleue (visa card) so I can only go through PM, though over Christmas someone used his on my behalf for which I paid him back in cash. Sending money through La Poste costs more than 7 euros (and we're supposed to share the same currency, would you believe) and that's before you get to pay the p&p - and by the way, trying to get books from Ireland is a nightmare.

That's both unfair and a pity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭berrypendel

Does anyone know of any online bookshop with good prices and free shipping like TBD, in case the latter start charging for delivery

Awesome books and bestsellers charge for delivery, awesome free in UK I think?

EDIT Kennys has free delivery, prices not bad

I found prices on TBD very good and never had any issue with their delivery or saw any real difference than with amazon delivery time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

I found prices on TBD very good and never had any issue with their delivery or saw any real difference than with amazon delivery time.

Amazon.co.uk typically have much faster delivery times. They clearly have a warehouse in Ireland somewhere, as most recent orders I have placed with them shipped straight from Dublin.

Kinski wrote: »
    Amazon.co.uk typically have much faster delivery times. They clearly have a warehouse in Ireland somewhere, as most recent orders I have placed with them shipped straight from Dublin.
    Not in my exp have not bought from them since discovered TBD. Is postage free over 25 euro still? Even so the prices are higher than TBD in my experience

Not in my exp have not bought from them since discovered TBD. Is postage free over 25 euro still?

It's free over £25. Honestly, delivery is usually quicker from Amazon. I ordered a couple of niche-interest titles on Wednesday night, and despite their relative obscurity, they shipped from Dublin yesterday and should be on my doorstep by Monday morning.
    Even so the prices are higher than TBD in my experience

The idea that The Book Depository has much cheaper prices than Amazon is a bit of a myth, IMO. Since delivery is free, it's much cheaper if you're ordering less than £25 worth of books, but otherwise prices on both sites are similar.

• Advertisement

The idea that The Book Depository has much cheaper prices than Amazon is a bit of a myth, IMO. Since delivery is free, it's much cheaper if you're ordering less than £25 worth of books, but otherwise prices on both sites are similar.
    I disagree one can buy one book and not have to pay postage as with amazon. And i have no issue withb TBD delivery

I disagree one can buy one book and not have to pay postage as with amazon.

You're not disagreeing - you're just ignoring what I said.
    And i have no issue withb TBD delivery

Nor do I - it's just a little slower.

You're not disagreeing - you're just ignoring what I said..
    you do not know what i am doing and i am not slightest bit int in arguingvwith you just seeking cheap books. This is the end of my discussion with you on this

you do not know what i am doing and i am not slightest bit int in arguingvwith you just seeking cheap books. This is the end of my discussion with you on this

Hey, I'm not looking for an argument, but I did point out that BD is cheaper if you spend less than £25.

On other sites, try bookfinder.com: you enter the title you're after, used or new, include cost of delivery, and it scours the various bookseller sites and comes back with a listing of the cheapest prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 birdfeet

I'm planning to buy books online.This book store looks nice.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Delivery really is slow with thebookdepository sometimes. At times they haven't even dispatched my book when other items have been delivered from other sources.

They really should sort this out. Combining the product and delivery price into one figure isn't going to keep people coming back if the service is poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Took delivery of two this morning, and have used the site regularly for many years without any issues. Generally delivered within one week of ordering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

I'm a fan, use it all the time now and in a way I'm sorry....

I like going into bookshops when i can but the only time i buy there is when i get a voucher. (Its what i ask the mother in law for christmas)

Anyway I wanted to get a book for the little fella, Goodnight Moon.

I was in town and used the last of a voucher I had in Hodges Figgis. 10.79.
    Bookdepository are selling it for less than a fiver.

I dont see how shops can compete with that...I'm afraid to say that for me every cent counts these days, so i'm sticking with buying online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭WolfgangWeisen

I love the BookDepository, it's the only place I buy books these days. Delivery is always within the timeframe they advise (7-10 working days), the prices are great and the little perks like the bookmarks they put into the packs really make them stand out. I had one minor issue with a book (of many, many ordered) and they were very apologetic and refunded 1/4 of the price immediately, without inconveniencing me in the slightest.

The only thing I would change is the layout of the categories, amazon's categories are far better organised, and something like the "Look Inside" feature amazon has would be of huge benefit. Their comments section could be a bit better also, I find myself researching books using amazon and then purchasing them off BD, whereas realistically I should be able to do the lot on BD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

It's absolutely brilliant! I love them! I find their delivery quick and easy. I do however wish there was an Irish version of the company. I just feel that it would be great for Irish customers and Publishers... Especially when it comes to getting school books!

Advertisement