Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you have or use a weighing scale?

• 29-10-2011 10:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭

Surely something we should all have is a weighing scale! I don't but just wondering how many do - hence the poll

Too late now, but I should have changed the No options to - No, but think it's a good idea, or No, I've no need for it!

Do you have or use a weighing scale for your cattle? 27 votes

Yes I own a weighing scale
    0% 0 votes
    Yes I weigh my cattle but don't own my own weighing scale
    29% 8 votes
    No, but think it's a good idea
    7% 2 votes
    No, I've no need for it
    62% 17 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭poor farmer

I have one but never use it .It seemed like a good idea at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

I got one last June and weigh cattle regularly, usually for drafting and putting into batches. It wasn't cheap but it's very useful and surprisingly instructive. You'd be surprised how well cattle would thrive at the height of the grazing season. Also, it'd give you an idea of where the better pasture is and which fields don't provide grazing as good as they ought; quantity doesn't equal quality, I've found out. Housed some this evening and penned them according to weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

MfMan wrote: »
    Also, it'd give you an idea of where the better pasture is and which fields don't provide grazing as good as they ought; quantity doesn't equal quality, I've found out.

That's interesting and useful information to have. Did you notice the "poorer" fields before getting the scales?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭holidaygirl

We have one a few years now. Its simple to use to just to weigh the cattle. We've often took it when buying cattle direct. It's great to keep an eye on how they are doing.

The one complaint I gave about ours is that while it has the capability to store tag numbers and multiple weights it's not the easiest to do. Frankly it's a pain and not user friendly at all. So we use a notebook for that, which is a little bit annoying. Would have been handy if we could just upload the herd register first and add on as necessary then. I believe the newer ones are easier though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

I couldn't justify a scales. I use a measuring tape instead not 100% accurate but it gives a good idea of weights. There is also a quarry 1 mile down the road from me that I can use to weigh the cattle in batches.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

just do it wrote: »
    Too late now, but I should have changed the No options to - No, but think it's a good idea, or No, I've no need for it!
    [MOD] I've edited the poll to include these two 'No' options.
    5 people had already voted to the original simple 'No'; I've reset the new options to 0, so if you've already voted 'No', please pick one of the new options and vote again. [/MOD]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I can see where they'd be useful on some larger farms but I'd have no use for one. Looking at cattle every day has helped me get within 10/20 kg of every animal I see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

well we got a lamb scales,

but if we are weighing cattle (which doesn't happen too often) we pop them in the trailer and weight at the local mill

Karen112 wrote: »
    I can see where they'd be useful on some larger farms but I'd have no use for one. Looking at cattle every day has helped me get within 10/20 kg of every animal I see.

But I think you work at a mart? That gives you a head start on part timers like me who rarely visit the mart! If I could guess weights as good as that I wouldn't bother either;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

But I think you work at a mart? That gives you a head start on part timers like me who rarely visit the mart! If I could guess weights as good as that I wouldn't bother either;)

I do, but it's also useful for buying on land :D
    It's easy enough once you get used of it, the problem most people have is judging bone over muscle.

Edit*

Also I'm not a large time farmer, I wouldn't be working for K/O prices etc so I would have absolutely no need of one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

That's interesting and useful information to have. Did you notice the "poorer" fields before getting the scales?

They're callowy fields as opposed to drier land, but are usually dry and have very good covers of pasture during the summer months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

picking up my scales later on- bought an id3000 from o donovans in cork-

need to get my replacements to 340kg at 14months hol/fr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

Have one for a year
    Invaluable check on replacment hf. batching and feeding accordingly
    saved price of it on meal already

How much would a scales set you back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

stanflt wrote: »

The best of luck with it Stanfit. It looks a savage bit of kit from googling it. Had you the weigh platform already or did you buy all together?

How much would a scales set you back?

1725inc vat

Muckit wrote: »
    The best of luck with it Stanfit. It looks a savage bit of kit from googling it. Had you the weigh platform already or did you buy all together?

no all new kit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

made a crate that we lift onto the back of d keenan diet feeder. cost approx €150 to make and works a treat. accurate to within 5kgs which does our job bang on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭dealerman

hi stanflt seen ur pics on picture thread could you post some more also does the id3000 records the weights for you looks alot of buttons on it looks complicated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Stanfit,

Yes, that scales looks the bisiness. Have you a tag reader also or can it be hooked up to one? I read it can be configured to a computer from what I've seen on net, so does it have it's own programme, or can it input data to other farm management programs?

Muckit

• Advertisement

dealerman wrote: »
    hi stanflt seen ur pics on picture thread could you post some more also does the id3000 records the weights for you looks alot of buttons on it looks complicated

not complicated at all- just type in animal number(if you havent uploaded your animals from farm sofware you will be asked to create a new animal) by just pressing enter. then you just press record button to record weight

the next time you weight the animal it will show previous weight on screen and daily weight gain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

if ya dont mind me asking what did you give for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭dealerman

sound stanflt very handy thing to have its great the way it will recored the weight and to show it when your weighing her again and her daily gain thats good and important lets you know straight away if not doing aswell as the rest i am all talk going buying one know for a while but never did

simx wrote: »
    if ya dont mind me asking what did you give for it?

.... read on a bit....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

what would ye think of sharing one between 3 small farms?

too small to justify one ourselves but would it be worth the hassle of moving the platform around and possible biosecurity risk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

not complicated at all- just type in animal number(if you havent uploaded your animals from farm sofware you will be asked to create a new animal) by just pressing enter. then you just press record button to record weight

the next time you weight the animal it will show previous weight on screen and daily weight gain

great looking job stanflt, i intend to purchase one, got a price of connaght agri for a basic model (was not far of your price), must price that crowd you got it off next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

funny man wrote: »
    great looking job stanflt, i intend to purchase one, got a price of connaght agri for a basic model (was not far of your price), must price that crowd you got it off next week.

bought ours off o'donovans in cork as well, very happy with it. tru test 2 was the model. got one of the most unprofessional responses in my life off of connaught agri when i was pricing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

USA TRU-TEST product prices here for comparison;
    http://www.algen.com/Livestock.Scales.Price.List.htm

Advertisement