Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Checking up on the taxman

• 29-10-2011 11:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Just thought I'd tell everyone in these desperate times to check up on the taxman. My friend was at me for ages to call in and ask if I was owed anything back and I ignored him thinking that asking the revenue if they owed me money was too easy and would end up costing me if anyting.

Went in one fine day, handed over my PPS card and asked if they owed me anything and was told there was €3,700 there from 4 years previous and that had I of been in 2 weeks later it would have been gone forever. She hit a few buttons and a check was on its way. 4 years that money was sitting there while the taxman waited and hoped I wouldnt call in.

Next time your passing the revenue pop in and ask because they sure as hell aint gonna tell ya about it.

Dont blame me if you get audited or done for tax evasion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Nice one Mung, that's definitely gonna come in handy for the aul Christmas...

Drinks on you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

MungBean wrote: »
    Just thought I'd tell everyone in these desperate times to check up on the taxman. My friend was at me for ages to call in and ask if I was owed anything back and I ignored him thinking that asking the revenue if they owed me money was too easy and would end up costing me if anyting.

Went in one fine day, handed over my PPS card and asked if they owed me anything and was told there was €3,700 there from 4 years previous and that had I of been in 2 weeks later it would have been gone forever. She hit a few buttons and a check was on its way. 4 years that money was sitting there while the taxman waited and hoped I wouldnt call in.

Next time your passing the revenue pop in and ask because they sure as hell aint gonna tell ya about it.

Dont blame me if you get audited or done for tax evasion.
    Did the same, am around 1400 euro richer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

You dont need to call in anywhere. Sign up to revenue online and get a balancing statement. Its been that easy for years.

You can add and delete various tax credit things like bin tags and the like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Are ye serious?? :o might be worth a call into them from me :D just gotta make sure i havnt scammed them out of anything 1st though haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭ballsacky

Any chance of a loan?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

RachaelVO wrote: »
    Nice one Mung, that's definitely gonna come in handy for the aul Christmas...

Drinks on you?

What the hell, bottles of cadet all round !! Just the one each now, lets not go overboard.

What the hell, bottles of cadet all round !! Just the one each now, lets not go overboard.

Can we have ice too?

RachaelVO wrote: »
    Can we have ice too?

Yes but you'll have to freeze it yourself.

Yes but you'll have to freeze it yourself.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!

SOLD, but I want red lemonade!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭sharpy2010

also write off to the PRSI section because for the last 4years they have been overcharging everyone on their PRSI at 8% instead of 4%:D:D:D

• Advertisement

ballsacky wrote: »
    Any chance of a loan?

Sure, I'll be lending two euro coins out at 500% interest. You can pick it up on monday and twill be due a fortnight later. Should you encounter difficulty I will write off half of what is due under promise that you borrow twice as much (little trick from the IMF).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Mung, do you by any chance work for the revenue?

Kasabian wrote: »
    Mung, do you by any chance work for the revenue?

Nope, I work one day a week for the state signing stuff mostly in the post office, on tuesdays, sometimes delivering a docket into the welfare office but thats about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭ballsacky

Sure, I'll be lending two euro coins out at 500% interest. You can pick it up on monday and twill be due a fortnight later. Should you encounter difficulty I will write off half of what is due under promise that you borrow twice as much (little trick from the IMF).

No dice,friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Nice one OP :)

Is everyone reading this thread claiming their tax credits for bins and rent? If not, give the revenue a call or register online! It can be backdated four years so do it before the end of this tax year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

I may be wrong, but it is the P11 form you fill in and you can get up to 4 years rebate.

Swampy wrote: »
    I may be wrong, but it is the P11 form you fill in and you can get up to 4 years rebate.

Didnt have to fill in anything. The girl behind the desk could see it was available and just clicked on "Send cheque" it seemed. I didnt have to do anything but ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

I also just sent an email there a month ago, as I needed something for the government here, i just asked if they could check if we were due anything.

Huge joy 5 days later, 3 cheques arrived totalling 7900, posted to a foreign country for us.
    Any dealings i've had with the tax office, they have always been extremely efficient, nice and approachable.

One of the best run government schemes in my opinion.

And yes, I thought that before I had got the cheques :D

Is it really that easy? Some of my friends over here (England) have used Taxback.com, but why do that if you can just ask the Revenue directly? I worked in Ireland from late 2007 until early (January, I think) 2009, is there much chance of being owed money? I've been putting off asking in case I somehow paid too little tax and they asked me to pay them. :eek: But that's doubtful. The only refund I've ever had is of emergency tax and I had to hound them to get that back.

Is it really that easy? Some of my friends over here (England) have used Taxback.com, but why do that if you can just ask the Revenue directly? I worked in Ireland from late 2007 until early (January, I think) 2009, is there much chance of being owed money? I've been putting off asking in case I somehow paid too little tax and they asked me to pay them. :eek: But that's doubtful. The only refund I've ever had is of emergency tax and I had to hound them to get that back.

Yep, it's that easy. If you were PAYE just give them you PPS number and don't forget to mention that you were renting as you get a credit for this. Also, bins at 10euro per week but I think the allowance is about 400 per year.

If you were self employed you will have to complete tax return. It's quite straight forward. You can also claim for any medical expenses you incurred.

No harm giving them a call.

• Advertisement

Yep, it's that easy. If you were PAYE just give them you PPS number and don't forget to mention that you were renting as you get a credit for this. Also, bins at 10euro per week but I think the allowance is about 400 per year.

If you were self employed you will have to complete tax return. It's quite straight forward. You can also claim for any medical expenses you incurred.

No harm giving them a call.

Yep, I was PAYE. If I understand correctly, the tax they take is based on you earning the same amount for an entire tax year. As I left the country at the end of January, am I likely to be entitled to some back?

I was renting, but have no receipts or anything, so I suppose I wouldn't be entitled to anything for that? I did visit the doctor a good few times, but again, have no receipts :(

Yep, I was PAYE. If I understand correctly, the tax they take is based on you earning the same amount for an entire tax year. As I left the country at the end of January, am I likely to be entitled to some back?

I was renting, but have no receipts or anything, so I suppose I wouldn't be entitled to anything for that? I did visit the doctor a good few times, but again, have no receipts :(

If you were taxed based on your yearly earnings but only worked for January then I'd imagine you were over taxed. I think this is where my money came from, I didnt work a full year so was taxed disproportionate to my earnings as it were.

You would probably need receipts for everything extra you wanted to claim.

If you were taxed based on your yearly earnings but only worked for January then I'd imagine you were over taxed. I think this is where my money came from, I didnt work a full year so was taxed disproportionate to my earnings as it were.

You would probably need receipts for everything extra you wanted to claim.

I hope so. It's a bit confusing, as over the 2008-2009 tax year, I worked in a variety of hours in different jobs, earning different amounts every month, so I'm not sure how they worked it out. Still, the fact I wasn't earning a penny in February, March and April 2009 must mean I'm likely to be entitled to something. How did you end up with so much, do you think?

<p>You will more than likely get all your tax back for the "January only" year. If I recall correctly, the tax credit for rent is a set amount. Just provide as much info as possible about your weekly rent, the address and the landlords details. Staff at the tax office are very helpful. They'll let you know what you need to do.</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Make a claim before December otherwise you will lose out on tax refund for 2007.</p>

Izzy, tax year runs 01 Jan - 31 Dec. Different to UUK.

I hope so. It's a bit confusing, as over the 2008-2009 tax year, I worked in a variety of hours in different jobs, earning different amounts every month, so I'm not sure how they worked it out. Still, the fact I wasn't earning a penny in February, March and April 2009 must mean I'm likely to be entitled to something. How did you end up with so much, do you think?

I had a pretty well paid job at the time and left it midway through the year. I may have been paying tax on the higher bracket or something (I know nothing of tax) and then when I didnt work for the rest of the year it all worked out that I had paid too much.

I think thats the reason anyway, I just paid more tax in the year than I should have as I didnt work the full year.

<p>You will more than likely get all your tax back for the "January only" year. If I recall correctly, the tax credit for rent is a set amount. Just provide as much info as possible about your weekly rent, the address and the landlords details. Staff at the tax office are very helpful. They'll let you know what you need to do.</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Make a claim before December otherwise you will lose out on tax refund for 2007.</p>

Izzy, tax year runs 01 Jan - 31 Dec. Different to UUK.

OK thanks, I'll try it. Does anyone ever get charged if it turns out you actually owe THEM money?

Hell yeah lol but doubtful you would owe them if you were on PAYE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Revenue is the only government department i found to be hassle free in dealing with, i applied for my p21 from the last few years and got 2 grand , and i recently returned to full time education from working fulltime the previous 5 years and sent them in a form to claim this years tax back , and they happily gave me a further 2 grand and a form to fill out in 8 weeks time if i still hadnt picked up part time work .
    They are fair and quick , thats all i look for :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Especially apprentices, if you were on phase 6 you were training for 10 weeks and should not be taxed for a full year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Unless the employer screwed up on the tax credits etc. and didn't deduct enough.:(

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Unless the employer screwed up on the tax credits etc. and didn't deduct enough.:(

Bummer :( what was the damage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

I became self-employed 10 years ago. When I registered self-employed I wrote them a letter setting out every employment I'd had that I could remember, with the dates as best as I could remember them - some pure guesswork included (jobs went from lounge staff, barman, banks, lecturing).

About 6 months later I got about 20 different revenue cheques in two batches, amounting to a few grand, between emergency tax adjustment/with-holding tax not properly administrated by employer etc. etc.

So yeah, well worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

How do i do this online, had a look at the revenue website but not sure what i'm looking for.

Look for the paye anytime button

I'm kind of nervous about ringing up tomorrow. So afraid they'll be like 'eh actually, you've underpaid your tax. Pay us back, please!' But I really could do with the money, my laptop is on its last legs! Agh!

• Advertisement

I'm kind of nervous about ringing up tomorrow. So afraid they'll be like 'eh actually, you've underpaid your tax. Pay us back, please!' But I really could do with the money, my laptop is on its last legs! Agh!

Ya ring em after ? Hit the jackpot ? Or have they sent the bailiffs round to collect your belongings ?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭caitmb

I thought the same and set the ball rolling......got a lovely letter saying I owe them 340 approx from 2008!!! Not a huge amount but still more than I have spare.Luckily they aren't going to reclaim it at present....(yet.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭The Skulls

sharpy2010 wrote: »
    also write off to the PRSI section because for the last 4years they have been overcharging everyone on their PRSI at 8% instead of 4%:D:D:D

I heard something about this recently; what are the implications of this?

Ya ring em after ? Hit the jackpot ? Or have they sent the bailiffs round to collect your belongings ?

It turned out to be a bank holiday and they were closed. Still not sure if I should ring or not.

caitmb, how do you think you managed to underpay tax? Did your employer work out your tax credits wrong? What did they say about repayment?

I'm nervous because I remember some months in 2008 when I seemed to pay very little tax, for some reason. But then again, I only worked one month in 2009 and paid tax on that, which would have been a few hundred. I don't trust the Revenue much because were incredibly unhelpful when I was stuck on emergency tax for months back in 2007. Hmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Bummer :( what was the damage?

It wasn't me.:D It's just one of the things that crops up in some businesses that I've had dealings with.

• Advertisement

It turned out to be a bank holiday and they were closed. Still not sure if I should ring or not.

caitmb, how do you think you managed to underpay tax? Did your employer work out your tax credits wrong? What did they say about repayment?

I'm nervous because I remember some months in 2008 when I seemed to pay very little tax, for some reason. But then again, I only worked one month in 2009 and paid tax on that, which would have been a few hundred. I don't trust the Revenue much because were incredibly unhelpful when I was stuck on emergency tax for months back in 2007. Hmm.

Ring em tomorrow and if they say you owe them just pretend its a wrong number. Easy.

Ring em tomorrow and if they say you owe them just pretend its a wrong number. Easy.

Eh? How?

Eh? How?

I dont know, seen it work in a cartoon before though. To be honest I'd just ring, going on what you have said I'd imagine there would be a slim chance of you owing them anything. They wont be auditing you, only telling you what it says on your record so they cant find anything they didnt previously know. So if they already know you owe them money a phone call doesnt change anything much I wouldnt imagine.

I dont know, seen it work in a cartoon before though. To be honest I'd just ring, going on what you have said I'd imagine there would be a slim chance of you owing them anything. They wont be auditing you, only telling you what it says on your record so they cant find anything they didnt previously know. So if they already know you owe them money a phone call doesnt change anything much I wouldnt imagine.

It would remind them though. Some people on here are saying they enquired and were told they owed money. I thought I'd have been asked for it back by now if I owed anything, but not sure where they'd send the letter. I haven't lived in Ireland since early 2009. Surprised you can just ring up and find out this info with just a PPS number, tbh.

It would remind them though. Some people on here are saying they enquired and were told they owed money. I thought I'd have been asked for it back by now if I owed anything, but not sure where they'd send the letter. I haven't lived in Ireland since early 2009. Surprised you can just ring up and find out this info with just a PPS number, tbh.

Try online first and have a snoop yourself without them looking. You may be able to see what your situation is on there and apply then.

I'd have to register to see anything though, then they'd have all my details. :eek: Aghh what to do, what to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

When you register, it asks for your name address details, pps number and mothers maiden name. Hate to break it to you, but they have all those details already!

phill106 wrote: »
    When you register, it asks for your name address details, pps number and mothers maiden name. Hate to break it to you, but they have all those details already!

They don't have my current address (or the last 6 addresses), phone number or anything like that. All the contact info they have for me is well out of date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Just a bit of a warning. I tried this about 6 years ago and they said I owed them 10 grand. But it turns out that it was because my employer was a sham who didnt pay my taxes

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Just a bit of a warning. I tried this about 6 years ago and they said I owed them 10 grand. But it turns out that it was because my employer was a sham who didnt pay my taxes

Was the money not being taken out of your pay? How can you be expected to pay for his theft?

• Advertisement
Advertisement