Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Best BJJ Club to train in Dublin

• 29-10-2011 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi All,

Where is the best place to train in Dublin where you are treated with respect and not just to make up the numbers anyone any ideas,

Regards,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

SBGI or Riberio Jiu Jitsu in my opinion.
    Results speak for themselves,

Darragh from RJJ is one of the most dedicated people I know, an excellent teacher and coach.

J.K. from SBG has coached the best of Irish MMA and BJJ with a very comprehensive schedule and awesome coaches.

If your not on the Southside check out Team Ryano or Kyuzo!

Warning: you will get good at jiu jitsu if you go to any of these places!!:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ethanhawk

Thanks for the reply, sorry i am in the north side all though i do here the clubs you have mentioned are very good,i think i will try Kyuzo as i here team ryano are a little hard and not suited to beginners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭Performance Martial Arts

ethanhawk wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, sorry i am in the north side all though i do here the clubs you have mentioned are very good,i think i will try Kyuzo as i here team ryano are a little hard and not suited to beginners.
    Not suited to beginners?? Have you done a class yet? I'm there since a beginner and also I've seen plenty of first timers come in and never seen anything relating to 'hard' and also Andy Ryan is on the mat everyday aswel as his blue, purple and brown belts so to be honest your in great hands there. Why not pop down and try out a class first before you make a statement like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Andys club does beginner classes and the more seasoned lads in the normal class are very helpfull anyway so no reason to feel threatened trying it out, get up and try it.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    Andys club does beginner classes and the more seasoned lads in the normal class are very helpfull anyway so no reason to feel threatened trying it out, get up and try it.

I've heard they eat puppies there. and the puppies were only beginners!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Just hoping someone comes on to say how hardcore Kyuzo is... this thread makes us sound like wusses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭r_obric

I heard sweating is frowned upon in kyuzo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Where did you get that rubbish from?.

As has been said, the have regular beginners classes.

Training with Andy (Judo and BJJ black belt) will always be tough, but very enjoyable. And your looking for a club which will treat you with respect, well they'll all do that (without exception).

This is an old photo from Andy's, look what the sign says..

TEAM - LOYALTY - HONOUR - RESPECT

179673.jpg

Training with KYUZU with Barry will be every bit as enjoyable. Barry also run's regular competitions for beginners so you'll be well catered for there.

Another one you might want to look at out that way is Coolmine BJJ, you'd be training under Luke Corcoran who is a Judo black belt, and a BJJ Blue (or it might be purple now, dunno).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

179673.jpg

Someone needs to teach Paul how to ties his fecking belt!!

PS: It reads to me like the OP had his mind made up before he started the thread. In any case, welcome to BJJ.

r_obric wrote: »
    I heard sweating is frowned upon in kyuzo.
    We call it "glowing" here. How come everytime someone comes on here looking for BJJ advice it turns into a mess? The guy heard something incorrect and it would only take sentence to set him straight instead of jumping all over him. Jesus lads we're supposed to be trying to entice people into the sport not drive them away.

All clubs cater for beginners. Ryano is good for beginners and I like to think ours is too. You're spoiled for choice so as has been said welcome to jiu jitsu. Enjoy no matter what club you join.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭MaeveD

Why don't you drop into each club and see for yourself? A few minutes watching should show you what the club is like.

There's a list of BJJ clubs here: http://www.bjj.ie/clubs/

Our BJJ beginners classes are Tue and Thurs 7.30-8.30pm, you're welcome to come and have a look to see if its what you're looking for.

Well well slag Team Ryano and they all jump on the band waggin, well yeah know what, that,s where the problem starts,i am not here to tell people where they go training all i want is honesty and people who follow the sport from the heart not followers all a i wanted was a opinion not a lesson in how great a club was THANKS, and thanks Barry for being honest.

Pictures speak a thousand words

Where did you get that rubbish from?.

As has been said, the have regular beginners classes.

Training with Andy (Judo and BJJ black belt) will always be tough, but very enjoyable. And your looking for a club which will treat you with respect, well they'll all do that (without exception).

This is an old photo from Andy's, look what the sign says..

179673.jpg

Training with KYUZU with Barry will be every bit as enjoyable. Barry also run's regular competitions for beginners so you'll be well catered for there.

Another one you might want to look at out that way is Coolmine BJJ, you'd be training under Luke Corcoran who is a Judo black belt, and a BJJ Blue (or it might be purple now, dunno).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

Well well slag Team Ryano and they all jump on the band waggin, well yeah know what, that,s where the problem starts
    Look, as someone who is part of running a martial-arts club, I've got to tell you that promoting the thing is a really hard balancing act. Half the time you're trying to convince people how super hardcore the place is and the other half you're trying to convince them that it's OK for them to come down and try a class without having to have their last will and testament sorted out. To be honest, I doubt there's a club in the country (in any style) that can afford to turn new members away, so when you imply that that is the case, people are going to get defensive.

If I were were you, I'd just go down to whichever clubs are close enough you can make regular classes and give them all a go. Don't mind what you've heard off the net or wherever, it'll only take you a class or two to tell what the atmosphere is like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

:confused::confused: Andy's place is one of the top gym's in the country, they've produced some incredibly skilled fighters in MMA and Jiu Jitsu.

Andy is a total gentleman, and I've never met anyone from 'Team Ryano' who I haven't got along with. Super Gym with quality people training there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭nino1

Well well slag Team Ryano and they all jump on the band waggin, well yeah know what, that,s where the problem starts,i am not here to tell people where they go training all i want is honesty and people who follow the sport from the heart not followers all a i wanted was a opinion not a lesson in how great a club was THANKS, and thanks Barry for being honest.

You sound like you have a chip on your shoulder or have something personal against team ryano.
    I am a beginner and have tried all the clubs mentioned here before settling with my current club and to be honest that's the only way to decide.
    You say a picture speaks a thousand words, what exactly does that picture tell you???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

I couldn't help notice that theres a big SBG sign outside where the TaekwonDoCentre always was on Exchequer Street in Dublin. However a recent TKD website says it's still there in Exchequer Street.
    What's the story with that ? They do both jiu jitsu and TKD upstairs there now ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Burkatron

Ok now slag Kyuzu & SBG & see what reaction you get! Disgusting attitude(Edit: Reread this: not the clubs the OP!!)! Cowzer, I think he's slagging you in that picture!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Burkatron wrote: »
    Cowzer, I think he's slagging you in that picture!!!

I do look awful in it, belt all over the place, too high and badly tied!

We where finished training and big martin wanted a pic so threw on gi top real quick! That's my excuse anyway and I'm sticking with it, as I said before go up and try it, you will be pleasantly suprised.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Martian Martin

In my opinion ... http://defendu.ie/

Very good facilities, great coaches and a good bunch of lads in the classes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

psychward wrote: »
    I couldn't help notice that theres a big SBG sign outside where the TaekwonDoCentre always was on Exchequer Street in Dublin. However a recent TKD website says it's still there in Exchequer Street.
    What's the story with that ? They do both jiu jitsu and TKD upstairs there now ?

The TKD centre is gone, it's now SBG city centre.

http://www.sbgireland.com/index.php/sbg-city-centre

Burkatron wrote: »
    Ok now slag Kyuzu & SBG & see what reaction you get! Disgusting attitude(Edit: Reread this: not the clubs the OP!!)! Cowzer, I think he's slagging you in that picture!!!

KyuzO!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Bless you!

tad00 wrote: »
    The TKD centre is gone, it's now SBG city centre.

http://www.sbgireland.com/index.php/sbg-city-centre

Thanks. I guess they need to update their website so.

http://www.taekwondocentre.ie/tae_kwon_do_dublin_ireland.php?number=46&sectionnumber=23 The address here is given as Exchequer Street dated 2011.

I went there years ago when I was a kid. Master Brendan O Toole really did a lot to help me. A very decent guy. However after a few years I drifted into boxing and different styles. Jiu Jitsu looks very interesting I might take it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Burkatron

KyuzO!!!!

Sorry Barney!

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

psychward wrote: »
    Jiu Jitsu looks very interesting I might take it up.

Definitely drop into the Exchequer St gym if its a handy location for you. (or any of the other gyms mentioned above). Top notch instruction and a good atmosphere. The ould BJJ is great craic altogether:D

tad00 wrote: »
    Definitely drop into the Exchequer St gym if its a handy location for you. (or any of the other gyms mentioned above). Top notch instruction and a good atmosphere. The ould BJJ is great craic altogether:D

Actually I think I will ! I returned to uni to get another degree but was busy working during the societies week so signed up to nothing. I guess they could have BJJ there somewhere in the sports centre in ucd too.

I just wanted to return to this for a second.

I haven't received any contact from anyone about this thread. No one claiming to be ethanhawke has got in touch about training in Kyuzo.

So this is what I think happens some of the time. Someone who has a grudge or has had a bad experience with a club (for whatever reason) comes on and types up a little yoke like this, in a real passive-aggressive way, just to bad mouth.

So instead of responding, just say nice things about BJJ training and leave it at that. I would hope that clubs wouldn't try to cannibalise each other online for the sake of getting a member in who isn't going to come down anyway.

BJJ training is great craic; tough, enjoyable training and great to learn no matter where you go to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Wonky Knees

Tony Souza is back in ireland after four months with Ralph Gracie in Asia.

He has set up his own club "Tony Souza BJJ" and is operating on both the northside and southside of Dublin. Don't know which venues on the southside he is operating out of but on the northside he is in Kokoro in East Wall. He has a Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday Gi class, and takes the Wednesday Kokoro no-gi class.

He is currently setting up a web page but can be contacted on his facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/groups/270920629615367/

Tony is a second degree black belt under Ralph Gracie with extensive competition experience and success. His international seminars in Europe, the Far East and Russia are highly rated by those clubs. I only have limited experience with SBG and have some good friends in Andy Ryans. Both excellent teachers by all accounts. OP is spoilt for choice with the names just mentioned as well as some of the other clubs mentioned in previous posts.

Ps. I'm currently taking classes with Tony and also a member of Kokoro.

• Advertisement

I give up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭David Jones

My give up is better than your give up! :rolleyes:

Advertisement