Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog vomiting after worming

• 29-10-2011 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

I gave my dog worming tablet tonight and after a few hours she has been vomiting :( Its a Bob Martin brand - I had her wormed at the vet when she was last there but this was the first time she had an over the counter product - is this normal?? She has been sick about 5 times so hoping its 'all out' now since its bed time - any advice??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

sounds like a reaction to the ingredients - I would never use those supermarket brands, the flea treatment can be particularly nasty too. Maybe give her a week or so to recover and then use a wormer from the vet - I've used drontal and milbemax without any problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Aye does sound like a reaction too.
    We have to get the hard tablets from the vets for worming. We were given those new 'chewable' milbemax (I think) ones before and Daisy after much difficulty in getting her to take it threw it up and wasn't too well for the rest of the day. Personally I'd avoid those supermarket ones, we've had reactions to the flea stuff as well.

How is she doing today?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭aisher

star-pants wrote: »
    Aye does sound like a reaction too.
    We have to get the hard tablets from the vets for worming. We were given those new 'chewable' milbemax (I think) ones before and Daisy after much difficulty in getting her to take it threw it up and wasn't too well for the rest of the day. Personally I'd avoid those supermarket ones, we've had reactions to the flea stuff as well.

How is she doing today?

Thanks - she is better but still not 100% - not too interested in her food today either. Last time she was wormed the vet gave her the tablet - will be avoiding this brand for sure now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

aisher wrote: »
    Thanks - she is better but still not 100% - not too interested in her food today either. Last time she was wormed the vet gave her the tablet - will be avoiding this brand for sure now.

i would ,just in case, give your vet a ring and explain to him. i would be worried in case its not the tablet and something else. i would rather be safe than sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

i would ,just in case, give your vet a ring and explain to him. i would be worried in case its not the tablet and something else. i would rather be safe than sorry
    yup i dont think you save much anyway the vet assistant will give you the wormer over the counter as long as you are sure of dogs weight i think .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Yup I'd ring your vet if you can, just to explain and get their advice.
    If she's been throwing up she may not be interested in food anyway, maybe try some boiled rice and chicken as something gentle for her tummy.

The vets' assistant in our place gives us the worming tabs once we know the weight of the dogs. I ask for the normal tabs now, told them the chewable ones were a no-go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Its not a reaction. Its a side effect that comes with worming. As the worms die they release protein which can create nausea and vomiting.

just worm again with a different brand (buy one from the vet as alot of worms now are becoming resistant to the pesticides in supermarket wormers)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

Irishchick wrote: »
    Its not a reaction. Its a side effect that comes with worming. As the worms die they release protein which can create nausea and vomiting.

just worm again with a different brand (buy one from the vet as alot of worms now are becoming resistant to the pesticides in supermarket wormers)
    but would she not be better checking with a vet 1st. all right 99% it was the wormer but would the owner not be better of checking before she goes and gives another wormer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Irishchick wrote: »

but would she not be better checking with a vet 1st. all right 99% it was the wormer but would the owner not be better of checking before she goes and gives another wormer?

If it puts the mind at rest yes sure. No harm in it.

Advertisement