Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THE JOHN TREACY DUNGARVAN 10 MILE ROAD RACE 29/1/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭scout33

hi all john treacy dungarvan 10 miler almost full last round up-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Going to up for this in the next couple of days.
    Just a quick question if anyone could help me out with.
    Please note that individual prize winners will not count on teams.
    That means if anyone finished in the top 10 doesn't count in the team standings,very strange.Has anyone seen thsi before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Going to up for this in the next couple of days.
    Just a quick question if anyone could help me out with.
    Please note that individual prize winners will not count on teams.
    That means if anyone finished in the top 10 doesn't count in the team standings,very strange.Has anyone seen thsi before?

Have seen this in some road races down Cork way....usually only first 3 prize winners excluded. That said, West Waterford club have many different types of race prize types to mix things up and keep things interesting, and they probably have looked at previous results and found more clubs are in with a shot of winning team prize if first 10 are excluded.

West Waterford's way is one prize per athlete ( and they are substantial for this race) this is fair to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

4 stars (good)
    Entries for the 2012 Dungarvan 10 mile road race are now closed. The limit of 1,500 entries was reached today (Wed 28th Dec), approximately three weeks ahead of the closing date last year. - from website

Obviously, running is on the up....

• Advertisement

Obviously, running is on the up....[/QUOTE]

Depends what way you look at it.Numbers are on the increase but standards are dropping.

Says on the web site elite entries accepted till the 20th(sub 60mens)

My mate who is aiming for a sub 50 and to make the marathon mission team, refused entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

My mate who is aiming for a sub 50 and to make the marathon mission team, refused entry.

Did he contact West Waterford AC? - I'm very surprised to hear this.

Podge83 wrote: »
    Did he contact West Waterford AC? - I'm very surprised to hear this.

Contacted one of the 3 names listed on the site for the race.
    Was told ''the numbers are full up'' and ''there will be no exceptions''

Gas thing is he got an elite entry into Rotterdam marathon but yet can't get into an Irish race.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭frankeee

Gas thing is he got an elite entry into Rotterdam marathon but yet can't get into an Irish race.

That's very dissappointing, kind of defeats the purpose of having an extended date for elite entry:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Surprised and disappointed. Some races keep the top first 50 or so numbers for elite entrants. This race is so well organised and run that I would almost go as far as saying I don't believe it!!. Surely they want to get the best possible field out!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭Cartman78

4 stars (good)
    Anyone got any tips on the course & race strategy?

ie. Is it worth going out fast or do you need to conserve energy for later on?

TAKEN FROM DUNGARVAN 10 MILE WEB SITE UNDER ELITE ENTRIES PASTED BELOW

Elite Entry
    Elite entries will be accepted up to Friday 20th January the standards set down are Men 60 minutes and Ladies 65 Minutes. These times must have been posted within the last 3 years. Proof of these qualifying times may be required.

DONT KNOW WHO YOUR FRIEND CONTACATED OR IF HE MADE IT CLEAR HE WAS LOOKING FOR AN ELITE ENTRY BUT THERE ARE STILL ENTRIES AVAILABLE FOR ELITE ATHLETES FOR DUNGARVAN 10 60 MINUTES FOR MEN AND 65 FOR WOMEN.

scout33 wrote: »
    TAKEN FROM DUNGARVAN 10 MILE WEB SITE UNDER ELITE ENTRIES PASTED BELOW

Elite Entry
    Elite entries will be accepted up to Friday 20th January the standards set down are Men 60 minutes and Ladies 65 Minutes. These times must have been posted within the last 3 years. Proof of these qualifying times may be required.

DONT KNOW WHO YOUR FRIEND CONTACATED OR IF HE MADE IT CLEAR HE WAS LOOKING FOR AN ELITE ENTRY BUT THERE ARE STILL ENTRIES AVAILABLE FOR ELITE ATHLETES FOR DUNGARVAN 10 60 MINUTES FOR MEN AND 65 FOR WOMEN.

Gerry cantwell,the other numbers didn't answer.

http://www.dungarvan10mile.org/contactus.shtml

some cross wires somewhere thirstywork- tell your friend to send in his elite entry in to address provided on web site and he has a garanteed entry if he has a sub 60 minute 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

4 stars (good)
    Has he recorded a sub 60 time in the last three years? you only say he is aiming for a sub 50...

some cross wires somewhere thirstywork- tell your friend to send in his elite entry to address provided on web site and he has a garanteed entry if he has a sub 60 minute 10.

JohnDozer wrote: »
    Has he recorded a sub 60 time in the last three years? you only say he is aiming for a sub 50...

Won the dundalk,Newry,Waterford half's this year running 68mins for the half.Also ran 2.26 marathon in Dublin.His 10mile is 55 and was a poor run in the park 2 years ago but still well under sub 60.

Thirstywork-If its gary o hanlon is your friend i can confirm that he contacted the organisers of the race today and his elite entry is being processed

lovely stuff.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

4 stars (good)
    Cartman78 wrote: »
    Anyone got any tips on the course & race strategy?

ie. Is it worth going out fast or do you need to conserve energy for later on?

It's a pretty flat course, mostly along country roads. There are a couple of small hills (afair, around mile 3 and 7), and there is a drag that starts just before mile 9, that you need to keep something for. It's about 1/2 mile long, on the main road from Cork into Dungarvan - then it's flat/slightly downhill on to the finish line at the IDA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

4 stars (good)
    Got my number in the post this morning, the date snuck up faster than I expected. It's going to be a MP run for me & hopefully I can tack a few miles onto the start/finish to bring up the distance a bit.

How's everyone set for it? Long term YR weather forecast looks good at the moment!

Alls set in Dungarvan for what hopefully- weather permitting-will be a superb race.Full house and a fantastic elite field in both the mens and ladies.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bart simpson

4 stars (good)
    looking for a course profile of this course if anybody has one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

4 stars (good)
    looking for a course profile of this course if anybody has one :)

Funny i was just checking it out

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/82081014

All set for this on Sunday, sub 61 here we come hopefully :)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭trats

4 stars (good)
    Funny i was just checking it out

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/82081014

All set for this on Sunday, sub 61 here we come hopefully :)

That was the 2009 route. The course was slightly changed in the last 2 years from mile 1 to 4.

http://www.dungarvan10mile.org/coursemap.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Out of this one myself, heading down though to enjoy the racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

4 stars (good)
    BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Out of this one myself, heading down though to enjoy the racing.

Pity that, it would have been a good duel between us. Give me a shout if you spot me, navy blue London Heathside singlet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭Cartman78

4 stars (good)
    It's been a while since I've got a number in the post...will save a lot of fluting about with safety pins in the car before the race.

Saw on the info leaflet that any MP3 wearing folk will be classified as 'headphone wearers' :confused: Not a fan of MP3's and races at all but what's the thinking behind this? Are they excluded from the official results?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

says on the website
    Can I wear an IPod/Mp3 player?
    We do not under any circumstances allow our runners to use I-pods or Mp3 players. We have found out over the years that headphone wearers do not hear instructions from our stewards/Gardai and so are safety hazards. With the numbers we have in this race we must look after everyone's safety and so to stop this we do not give headphone wearers any finish time. We will have someone assigned to take note of their race number and 'headphone wearer' will appear on the race results instead of their name. We take this very seriously, we have to, your safety is important to us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Pity that, it would have been a good duel between us. Give me a shout if you spot me, navy blue London Heathside singlet.

Bringing the camera, so I'll try and get you on Race Pix

Advertisement