Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THE JOHN TREACY DUNGARVAN 10 MILE ROAD RACE 29/1/2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

All set for this on Sunday, sub 61 here we come hopefully :)

Will be running somewhat similar pace to yourself I reckon, first few miles anyways.

Didn't realise numbers were coming in the post - I hope mine arrived today or I won't have it before the race....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

4 stars (good)
    I'm in with a chance for a prize in this one!

Seemingly, The Park Hotel Flynn group are offering a weekend in one of their hotels for the person who finishes in 471st* position. Looking back on the previous 3 Dungarvans, I've been in or around that position. There's gonna be a lot of mental arithmitic over the last mile or two :rolleyes:

* Scooby snack for the person who knows (without referring to the website) why they have selected this particular number.

eliwallach wrote: »

Seemingly, The Park Hotel Flynn group are offering a weekend in one of their hotels for the person who finishes in 471st* position. Looking back on the previous 3 Dungarvans, I've been in or around that position. There's gonna be a lot of mental arithmitic over the last mile or two :rolleyes:

* Scooby snack for the person who knows (without referring to the website) why they have selected this particular number.

Is it the number of Roundabouts in Dungarvan??? It must have the most per capita in Ireland.

4 stars (good)
    Gringo78 wrote: »
    Is it the number of Roundabouts in Dungarvan??

Correct! ;)

4 stars (good)

Seemingly, The Park Hotel Flynn group are offering a weekend in one of their hotels for the person who finishes in 471st* position.

*The time for position 471 in the previous 3 Dungarvan 10 are:

Year 471 TIME NO FINISHERS
    2009 1:15:55 895
    2010 1:15:59 987
    2011 1:13:35 1050

Make of that what you will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭boost creep

4 stars (good)
    got my number in the post today, so the writing is on the wall now! is it true about pacers being used in this race?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭scout33

Yes 2 pacers for each time 70-75-80-85-and 90 they will be very visable with each time pair sporting 5 different coloured ballons with pace time on them

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭CorkRunning

4 stars (good)
    Preview of the course with pics up now on the Running in Munster website :)

That's brilliant info running Munster many thanks-really looking forward to a great event in Dungarvan Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bart simpson

4 stars (good)
    Funny i was just checking it out

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/82081014

All set for this on Sunday, sub 61 here we come hopefully :)

no sub 61 for me brian, the last two weeks training have not being great, im going for sub 62

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    trats wrote: »
    That was the 2009 route. The course was slightly changed in the last 2 years from mile 1 to 4.

http://www.dungarvan10mile.org/coursemap.shtml

based on the course profile 1=flat 2=5m up 3=1m down (NB 1st half uphill 2nd half down) 4=2m up (NB 1st half downhill 2nd half up) 5=3m up 6=2m up 7=10m down 8=flat 9=4m up 10=5m down 2 or 3 meters is really nothing but i just said id put them in anyway, mile 9 is worth a mention though, there is a hill on that and its steep enough, 5m in under 1000m of which 3m in 200m so be ready for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

4 stars (good)
    really looking forward to this one folks, the last time I did it was a few years back and it was bitterly cold that day. Thankfully I don't think it's due to be that cold this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭Cartman78

4 stars (good)
    Not sure what the forecast is tbh, but can't be much worse than my 18k jaunt last night in hailstones and baltic wind :)

Will probably be staying around Dungarvan for the afternoon/evening - any recommendations for decent post-race meal in the town?

mile 9 is worth a mention though, there is a hill on that and its steep enough, 5m in under 1000m of which 3m in 200m so be ready for it.

My memory of mile 9 is a very mild incline rather than a hill - its long & continuous though and was into the wind in 2010, last time I ran dungarvan. At the very start of mile 9 though theres a sharp 'ramp' from the country road up onto the main dungarvan-youghal road - thats a short sharp hill which can wind you.

Its a fast course but I re-read my log from 2010 & I seem to have run a 'long' first mile meaning I did a lot of weaving so I'll be concentrating this year on holding the racing line from the very start.

Looking forward to the race - I think I enjoyed it last time I ran it - to quote from my log in 2010:
    Fantastically organised race, great course, great facilities, great hospitality, great goody bag, amazing price. 10/10. This is one I’ll be doing again and again. Well done West Waterford AC.

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Not sure what the forecast is tbh, but can't be much worse than my 18k jaunt last night in hailstones and baltic wind :)

Will probably be staying around Dungarvan for the afternoon/evening - any recommendations for decent post-race meal in the town?

yes hard to beat the park hotel on the by pass

4 stars (good)
    My memory of mile 9 is a very mild incline rather than a hill - its long & continuous though and was into the wind in 2010, last time I ran dungarvan. At the very start of mile 9 though theres a sharp 'ramp' from the country road up onto the main dungarvan-youghal road - thats a short sharp hill which can wind you.
    yeah the rest of the mile is only a mild incline, but the ramp is tough if your tired, if your strong coming up that, the rest of the race should not be a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭Cartman78

4 stars (good)
    Just pinned the number on my running top there so all set :D

Good luck to all tmrw - hopefully the weather picks up a bit

4 stars (good)
    Cartman78 wrote: »
    Just pinned the number on my running top there so all set :D

Good luck to all tmrw - hopefully the weather picks up a bit

ha ha, I've just pinned mine onto my singlet too. Bananas and Powerade in bag ready to go :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

anyone entered but not running?
    I didnt enter (dunno why!?!?!?!), and im RAGING now....
    Enjoy it if your in there!!!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Best of luck to everyone running this today - hope you've got a nicer day for it than we will have in Raheny!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

4 stars (good)
    claralara wrote: »
    Best of luck to everyone running this today - hope you've got a nicer day for it than we will have in Raheny!
    Not judging by the weather outside the window here at the moment!
    No wind is the big thing, hope there are PBs to report from all running today:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭webpal

4 stars (good)

think I know why, looks like it was john treacy's number! Have a look at their website, there's a pic of him, could be winning his silver. Anyway i'm off, lashing here in kk

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Looked like a great day for racing, a few big PB's for the crew I was with, including an unofficial 56:06 for Abhainn. Gave a shout out to Aero2k and Tisnot with 250 to go, think I startled both of them ;)
    I'll have pics up later.

2 new course records today, Sean Heir 49:26 and Maria McCambridge 55:58

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭frankeee

PB by 2 secs:)

4 stars (good)
    PB for me too, by over 2 minutes. It was a fast course though!

Also, huge credit must go to West Waterford AC for organising a fantastic race. Loads of stewards, great goody bag (excellent Nike dri-fit top) and an unbelievable spread of grub in the hall afterwards, and all for €15!

Well done and thanks for all concerned.

...now to go wash the oil off my legs:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

4 stars (good)
    Also, huge credit must go to West Waterford AC for organising a fantastic race.
    ...now to go wash the oil off my legs:eek:

+1 on the above. And the results up already.

PB by a minute:). Boy, is that oil sticky stuff!!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭another world

Really enjoyable race today and excellently organised. Glad I made the trip down from Dublin for it.

• Advertisement

Some pix starting to upload now, anyone looking for high rez pm me.

Advertisement