Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THE JOHN TREACY DUNGARVAN 10 MILE ROAD RACE 29/1/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

4 stars (good)
    Really well organized. PB by 6 mins compared to Mallow last March so am very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭Cartman78

4 stars (good)
    Had a great day at the race but car broke down in Dungarvan and had to get in towed to Limerick :eek:

Will write a full race report when I've calmed down a bit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

4 stars (good)
    slowsteady wrote: »
    +1 on the above. And the results up already.

PB by a minute:). Boy, is that oil sticky stuff!!

sure is, and once i washed the singlet there are deep black spots all over it, a souvenir from Dungarvan I'd say :D

4 stars (good)
    Best organized race I have ever been at. The only negative comment is that they could have given water bottles at the start of the chute as when asking for everyone's for the chip back. Everything else was perfect. parking, food, stewards,enough toliets, times at every mile and 10k, fast results, etc. Everything else perfect.

4 stars (good)
    rom wrote: »
    Best organized race I have ever been at. The only negative comment is that they could have given water bottles at the start of the chute as when asking for everyone's for the chip back. Everything else was perfect. parking, food, stewards,enough toliets, times at every mile and 10k, fast results, etc. Everything else perfect.

I agree, everything was perfect. On the water, stroke of genius using little bottles. Cups are the work of the devil ;)

And to all those other races that charge a lot more money to enter well let Dungarvan be the perfect argument for locally organised races with the community and club at heart and not a money making machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

4 stars (good)
    Yeah really top class race again. Very well organised, loads of stewards and a really great finishers t-shirt. In fact its between it and last years Lakes 10k one as my favourite race t-shirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 brianomullain

4 stars (good)
    Best organised 10 miler in the country, no contest. Well ok, the fact that it is hands down the quickest 10 miler in the country and is a certain PB for the distance helps, BUUTTTTTT....... all the other ingredients (reg, goodie bag, tech t-shirt, small water bottles, WWAC enthusiasm, very hard to beat. Roll on Balllycotton so I can be put back i my box as regards 10mile times!

4 stars (good)
    Roll on Balllycotton so I can be put back i my box as regards 10mile times!

I'm actually fearing Ballycotton a bit now, it will take some doing to better today's time, especially given the Pamplona-type start that is only found at Ballycotton:D

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

4 stars (good)
    This has to be one of the best organised road races in Ireland, from start to finish it was well done.

Clear signs directing people to start and race HQ.
    Plenty of toilets available.
    Race started bang on time (as far as I could tell, it was certainly damn close)
    Every mile marked and people calling out times at the mile markers, clock at 5 miles. I saw a guy just after the 6 mile mark calling out times, took me a minute to figure he was calling the 10k time.
    3, yes 3, water stops in a 10 mile race and water in bottles not cups.
    Marshals at every junction.
    Well organised finish and collection of goodie bags. Lovely T-shirt.
    The changing rooms were jamed but even after 100's of people the water in the showers was still hot :D
    Tonnes of food at drink afterwards.

Just to be clear, I have no connection to WWAC, I'm just an plodder who appreciates value for money and a job well done.

Only negative, and it has nothing to do with the organisers, was the amount of dog sh1t on the footpaths on the way to the start. Note to dog owners of Dungarvan "clean up after your dogs"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

4 stars (good)
    60:36 garmin time for me. A nice pb. Savage race. Great spread after (like a Vegas buffet), really nice tech t-shirt too, along with time checks at every mile. Only negative was the oil slick on the road around mile 4 but thats not the organisers fault.

Question for everyone. Was the 10k mark (where your man was calling out times as being 10k splits) accurate? I had it as 6.15 mls and not 6.21 mls. It would be an unofficial pb for me so i'm curious. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KentuckyPete

3 stars (average)
    PB of 64:13 for me. First time McMillan says I've done a time that would equate to a sub-3 marathon so that's even better.

Super organsiation today and great value for money - apart from the arsing around with the scanner at the end for your time. When there's no timing mat at the start then chip timing is worthless anyway.

Either go the "timing mat at start and finish" route or no chips at all (like Cork-Cobh - they can handle huge numbers and give accurate times without the scanning malarkey).

It's a small detail - I really enjoyed the day. Well done West-Waterford AC!

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KentuckyPete

3 stars (average)
    Question for everyone. Was the 10k mark (where your man was calling out times as being 10k splits) accurate? I had it as 6.15 mls and not 6.21 mls. It would be an unofficial pb for me so i'm curious. Thanks.

Nah, he was 200m too early Brian. The proper 10km was marked on the road further on. TBF I don't think he was an official.

Well done on your time - a good omen for London!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

4 stars (good)
    I didn't have my watch today and you were a long way ahead of me :D but when I got there 10k was marked on the road around 100m further on than where yer man was calling out the times.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭Cartman78

4 stars (good)
    Massive PB for me too...down to 63 mins (from 68 mins on St.Stephens Day, so it's now scientifically proven that turkey slows you down).

Also set an unofficial 10k PB of 39:40 (almost 30 secs improvement)
    re: Brian: I thought the guy calling out the 10k times was actually a little over the 10k but doesn't matter too much either way I guess.

Genuinely thought I could never run that fast...great confidence boost ahead of London and has me wondering if a sub-60 is possible.

Absolutely fantastic organisation and would echo everything other posters have highlighted.

Was almost going to go up to John Treacy afterwards for a photo but seemed fairly swamped so left him alone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 brianomullain

4 stars (good)
    Yup, 10k was about 100-150m further on, it was clearly marked on the road in yellow. I was delighted though, pb for a 10k as well when your man called it out so it just spurred me to keep driving on!!! And hey presto, it ensured I managed a a PB for 10 miles, maybe it should be a feature in every race, unknown to the runners obviously. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭irfrm

4 stars (good)
    Also, huge credit must go to West Waterford AC for organising a fantastic race. Loads of stewards, great goody bag (excellent Nike dri-fit top) and an unbelievable spread of grub in the hall afterwards, and all for E15

+1 great experience. PB for me too:D

4 stars (good)
    Ballycotton just has the 10km mark on the road as far as I can remember, not a guy calling out the time, but still nice to know if you see it in time to take a glance down at the watch.

Personally I wouldn't pay too much attention to the 10km time in a 10 mile race, everything is different, especially the mindset.

4 stars (good)
    60:36 garmin time for me. A nice pb. Savage race. Great spread after (like a Vegas buffet), really nice tech t-shirt too, along with time checks at every mile. Only negative was the oil slick on the road around mile 4 but thats not the organisers fault.

out for me also but then again can you trust the watch ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

4 stars (good)
    eliwallach wrote: »
    I'm in with a chance for a prize in this one!

Seemingly, The Park Hotel Flynn group are offering a weekend in one of their hotels for the person who finishes in 471st* position. Looking back on the previous 3 Dungarvans, I've been in or around that position. There's gonna be a lot of mental arithmitic over the last mile or two :rolleyes:

Missed out by 4 positions. The mental arithmitic ain't what it used to be :pac: Beat last years time by 1 second.
    However, did pick up a spot prize (and a second one courtesy of Gringo).

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭scout33

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Some pix starting to upload now, anyone looking for high rez pm me.
    would love some for our club web site

jveale@cablesurf.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

4 stars (good)
    Cracking race, dreadful weather. I've run cross country and didn't get as much dirt on me. The oil slick at mile 4 was a curse.

68.27 for me (68.39 on results but i clocked from the start line). Nearly an official pb but i never tried for it so quite happy. V well done by all in WWAC. Never saw as much food after a race and warm water in the showers still when i got there. Savage job for 15 euro.

I think my white vest will never be white again though:p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

scout33 wrote: »
    BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Some pix starting to upload now, anyone looking for high rez pm me.
    would love some for our club web site

[EMAIL="jveale@cablesurf.com"]jveale@cablesurf.com[/EMAIL]

Just send me the 3 digit numbers of the ones you want

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

4 stars (good)
    Impeccable race day I have to say, ok the showers were a bit mad afterwards but that couldn't be helped, was very good of the rain to ease off as well. Some value for €15!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

4 stars (good)
    Cracking race. Was treating itmore as a training run that an all out effort but definitely a course you could take a lump off your PB. Might target it a bit more next year. Didn't get to enjoy the food afterwards as I had to get back on the road fairly sharpish.

Only slight down side was havign to wait until the end of the chute to get your water as mentioned previously. Apart from that absolutely faultless.

Will be back next year for sure.

4 stars (good)
    chinguetti wrote: »
    Cracking race, dreadful weather. I've run cross country and didn't get as much dirt on me. The oil slick at mile 4 was a curse.

68.27 for me (68.39 on results but i clocked from the start line). Nearly an official pb but i never tried for it so quite happy. V well done by all in WWAC. Never saw as much food after a race and warm water in the showers still when i got there. Savage job for 15 euro.

I think my white vest will never be white again though:p

can anyone actually get the oil marks off their skin? I've scrubbed the bejesus out of my legs and no joy, still loads of blotches on my legs.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭jimbo21

ye i dont think we will get that oil out ,had a job getting it off my legs still new pb for me 59.31 last year i done it in 61.40:D

4 stars (good)
    can anyone actually get the oil marks off their skin? I've scrubbed the bejesus out of my legs and no joy, still loads of blotches on my legs.:(

prevention is better than cure. someone behind me said run on the right hand side. funny I didnt think of that during the race but it made sence. It was a lot of oil alright.

4 stars (good)
    eliwallach wrote: »
    *The time for position 471 in the previous 3 Dungarvan 10 are:

Year 471 TIME NO FINISHERS
    2009 1:15:55 895
    2010 1:15:59 987
    2011 1:13:35 1050

Make of that what you will.

2012 1:11:55 1261

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

4 stars (good)
    Great race, Joe had a great run. Still trying to wash the diesel of my legs. Clonliffe shouldn't have won the team prize as the lads got an individual prize.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

heffsarmy wrote: »
    Great race, Joe had a great run. Still trying to wash the diesel of my legs. Clonliffe shouldn't have won the team prize as the lads got an individual prize.

There were 2 seperate team competitions -

The regular team prize went to Leevale (Finbars 2nd, Waterford 3rd) and discounted individual prizes.

The other team prize was the John Treacy Club Challenge which was one prize only and went to Clonliffe and it was clearly stated before the race that individual prize winners would count for that prize.

Advertisement