Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

ewe scanning results

• 30-10-2011 10:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭

decided to put 50 ewes to the ram the 8th of august till sept ,scanned yesterday had 17singles
    30 doubles
    3 triplets
    o empties
    so thats 1.72 would have liked more doubles but happy all inlamb because ewes werent sponged !

has anyone scanned ewes and how did ye get on ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭razor8

you cant complain with them results

what breed of ewes have you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Hi Eddie,

Well done, they are good results.

See thread here - which I discussed my (not good) scanning results.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75050392

I had a lot of empties, as you can see...

I would be interested in hearing what breed you have, and what you did before you put in the ram, and how long the ram was with em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭hedgecutting eddie

Hi Eddie,

Well done, they are good results.

See thread here - which I discussed my (not good) scanning results.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75050392

I had a lot of empties, as you can see...

I would be interested in hearing what breed you have, and what you did before you put in the ram, and how long the ram was with em.

mostly lleyn crosses and few suffolk and texel crosses,they were the best 50 ewes i had. Injected them with a cheap worm dose and dosed them with a good dose of cobalt and have a mineral bucket alot of the year! i put all my charolais rams with them,5 seems alot but was for handyness more than anything,rams were with the ewes for 4 weeks,they were on 5 acres of very good grass

neighbour scanned his 50 same day he had 3 empties
    9 triplets
    25 doubles
    13 singles

he mostly has belcare crosses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭roosky

scanned yesterday 40 ewes ....
    1 triplet
    7 sngles
    32 doubles

happy out all n lamb

had 15 ewe lambs didn go so well 5 emptys, 2 doubles and 8 singles whats the crack with that they were all run together with ewes so why such a difference

was always told u should always run ur ewe lambs seperate from the ewes that the ram will always follow the ewes instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

roosky wrote: »
    scanned yesterday 40 ewes ....
    1 triplet
    7 sngles
    32 doubles

happy out all n lamb

had 15 ewe lambs didn go so well 5 emptys, 2 doubles and 8 singles whats the crack with that they were all run together with ewes so why such a difference

Hi Roosky,

Great results there. You have a lot of doubles, which is good.
    Re ewe lambs - dont know, as I only put em to the ram when they hoggets.

Would be interested to hear what breed / cross sheep you have. And also what you do in the run up to putting them with the ram.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭kboc

was always told u should always run ur ewe lambs seperate from the ewes that the ram will always follow the ewes instead

I red on the www that Lleyn can be tupped as ewe lambs, that this is common practice in England. I was talking to a Lleyn breeder from N.Ireland last week, he seem to think it was ok once they reach 24kg's before tupping

Does many people do this or do you wait until their second winter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

kboc wrote: »
    I red on the www that Lleyn can be tupped as ewe lambs, that this is common practice in England. I was talking to a Lleyn breeder from N.Ireland last week, he seem to think it was ok once they reach 24kg's before tupping

Does many people do this or do you wait until their second winter?

Follow up to my mating post...160 ewes scanned
    34 triplets
    10 singles
    4 barren, but will be scanned again
    112 doubles
    ewes are lleyns out of suffolk and texel ewes
    scanner said most were between 65 and 75 days inlamb, so the teasing worked really well,
    On ewelambs, I find that the best results are got if they're mated in november, and they're not run with mature ewes,
    Also wouldn't like to breed them until they were 40 kgs

Hi Roosky,

Great results there. You have a lot of doubles, which is good.
    Re ewe lambs - dont know, as I only put em to the ram when they hoggets.

Would be interested to hear what breed / cross sheep you have. And also what you do in the run up to putting them with the ram.

ya they are all suffolk cross ewes that are very much suffolk ......all tipped a ch and a texel ram....

all the ewes were starved for 5/6 weeks and the let to goo after grass for about 3 or four weeks .....both these times depended on individual condition

i put the two rams the other side of the fence from them for a week pre tupping and this ment that about forty of the fifty will lamb in 3 weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭razor8

what are ye guys paying for scanning? I get charged 90 cents for 350 ewes which are in three different places. i have no problems with the scanner as he is nearly always spot on with singles and doubles but can miss a good few triplets

well 75 euro for 55 sheep but different set up due to numbers!!!

my fella likes to scan bout 60 days as if it goes to 80 or 90 its v hard to tell between doubles and triplets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

Is everybody getting out of sheep?

Online Ads seem to be full of sheep or sheep in lamb or sheep with lambs for sale at the moment asking extremely high prices which appear to be higher than any return possible.

Some Ads offer entire stock and these Ads are appearing at the rate of every couple of hours.

fodda wrote: »
    Is everybody getting out of sheep?

Online Ads seem to be full of sheep or sheep in lamb or sheep with lambs for sale at the moment asking extremely high prices which appear to be higher than any return possible.

Some Ads offer entire stock and these Ads are appearing at the rate of every couple of hours.

god no if anything everyone is getting in....well round me any way

i think the reason for the ads is anyone that is thinking of changing system or retireing ...etc.... that the money is so good for sheep that they are just flogging them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

i think the reason for the ads is anyone that is thinking of changing system or retireing ...etc.... that the money is so good for sheep that they are just flogging them

I understand but how do you make money on a ewe in lamb at 240.00 euro?

Lamb on its own going for 75.00 to 100.00 and a ewe going for 120.00 to 140.00............I think i would rather wait for the lamb to be born and fed by someone else..........some mad prices asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Thats true - I even know a few stud farms back near my parent place in North Kildare that have brought in sheep to graze paddocks during the winter in the last year or 2.. Sheep numbers are certainly rocketing in many places, I hope it all doesn't end in tears like our property boom!!:confused:

oh the prices are pure lunacy ...seen a ewe with two lambs on donedeal for 360 .....but alot of that could be lads chancing thier arm not pushed about selling

at the same time i gave 160 nfor good hoggets two years ago and thier lambs averaged 115 euro a piece !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Does anyone know whats underpinning such prices?? - surely with much of Europe in the doldrums it can't be coming from there, or is the reduction of sheep numbers in the likes of New Zealand/Australia the cause:confused:

the sheep numbers were down by alot for the last few year this caused a rise in price of lamb from factory and hence farmers got interested again and hence the high prices !!!

my fear is it will go full circle and cause a drop in prices again

scanned the rest of the ewes this evening went very well

ewe lambs
    singles 15
    doubles18
    emties 5
    1.545% doesnt include empty ones when workin out the %

only had the ram with ewe lambs for 3 weeks

ewes
    singles 35
    doubles 118
    triplets 14
    empties 1 (she has 2 dead lambs inside her)
    1.867%

very happy with de results

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

scanned the rest of the ewes this evening went very well

ewe lambs
    singles 15
    doubles18
    emties 5
    1.545% doesnt include empty ones when workin out the %

only had the ram with ewe lambs for 3 weeks

ewes
    singles 35
    doubles 118
    triplets 14
    empties 1 (she has 2 dead lambs inside her)
    1.867%

very happy with de results

im not suprised your happy , good results, fair play