Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kinect

Options
  • 30-10-2011 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

How much is a new kinect on its own. are they good value and do you need lots of space for it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 KaLi_78

malascoile wrote: »
    How much is a new kinect on its own. are they good value and do you need lots of space for it?

149.95 € for Kinect it self and play with it you need to be about 1.8 meter away from the sensor

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

You need more like 2 metres at least, 1.8 is not enough. If you want more than two people using it at the same time you need even more again.

Unless you happen to live in an American styled/sized house it's unusable.

Personally I would not buy one until

A: They cost about €80-€100 tops.

B: They find a real use for it in some proper games.

C: I build an extension or a bigger room where I can actually use it.

All I can find a use for it though is voice recognition and that can be performed through the head set if Microsoft really wanted to. Rainbow Six on the Xbox 1 had voice commands.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 KaLi_78

I live in apartment with small living room and I'm playing about that 1.8m from snesor and works fine for one player
    Kinect sports,Dance Central are brilliant party games I'm not looking for games like CoD,BF or similar to play by Kinect.
    If you also looking for playing party games I recomend Kinect sensor

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Got it the day it came out and built my own TV mount for it. Its' fun for house parties trying to entertain a crowd, but the first proper use I've found for it is in Forza 4 where you can turn your head and the view on screen turns into the corners with your head movements.

There's a third party device now which clips over the lenses on the Kinect that reduces the space needed by 30-40%, reviews say it's pretty good. IMHO, they should bundle it with the Kinect by default.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

Kinect is well worth the money, it's great fun, but the novelty wears off fast enough. It's great for parties, and when young cousins come over.

I have about 2 meters for it and it works perfectly. But you also need to be aware about the constant jumping and shuffling you'd be doing. I wouldn't recommend it for a bedroom or any room which is upstairs, as the constant jumping annoys the hell out of people.

Here's the link to the range reducer, it doesn't give a link where to buy it, but i'd say they'd be on ebay: Here

As for getting one cheap, try adverts.ie. Here's one i found, but there are loads more: here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Space is the last thing I'd be worried about, new or used it's over priced imo.

I also struggle to think of one single game be it already out or upcoming that I would consider a must have AAA+++ title that I would go and buy one for.

It has nice features for sure and is a great piece of kit, but once all the novelty wears off it's no better that that wii I have gathering dust.

For the record I don't want to sound like I'm hating on it just for the sake of it here or that I'm anti Kinect etc just really is nothing out to justify it for a serious gamer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

i kinda want one for kicks but for 150, i think not!

in saying that if it drops to around 100 id prob pick it up, i say its great for christmas, and our living room is like 12x20ft :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭hous

you do need a bit of space to play it, but if you have younger kids (under 14ish) then it is great fun...Kinect Sports 2 looks good (from demo) and the games will catch up with the technology sooner rather than later.

Only thing is the missus hates having a space ship parked ontop of the TV!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

nyko zoom reduces the space needed by about 50%

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭hous

Helix wrote: »
    nyko zoom reduces the space needed by about 50%

really?? never seen this before...i have a good sized sitting room so im ok for space, but i can see how lots of houses would have a problem with the space needed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Der Visp

Wondering if the nkyo zoom reduces the quality of the sensor in any way?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭SpionJoe

Kinect is only €109 in HMV Liffey Valley.
    I picked one up on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

I've had one sitting under the tv for almost a year now, pretty much unused. When are they going to release a shooter/adventure game for this that's worth playing?

SpionJoe wrote: »
    Kinect is only €109 in HMV Liffey Valley.
    I picked one up on Friday.

a bit more reasonable... that come with kinect sports?

I said I might give it a go if it goes to about 100

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭SpionJoe

-=al=- wrote: »
    a bit more reasonable... that come with kinect sports?

I said I might give it a go if it goes to about 100

I'm afraid not pal, it comes bundled with kinect adventures as standard.
    This is €149 everywhere else...

FFUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu... ah well still not bad

if i was to get new xbox id get the kinnect, rather get 3 new games instead of something id rarely use though cmon micro$oft bring it down

Was in Game Stop, Galway, yesterday - I wanted to give a local shop the business but they said that they don't offer the same deals as their website, in anycase they had no xbox kinect bundles left.
    The website has a good offer of four games for 350 (Fifa 2012, Sports2, Carnival Games, Kinect Adventures), but what's your comeback if you've problems with it - if the shop say they're separate?

I've also been into Smyths, they have a good deal too: bundle with any one kinect game (including Disneyland, Just Dance, Dance Central) for 350. All the bundles come with kinect adventures anyway.

Curry's are the same price but no extra game, and no effort to match the Smyths offer. They had 18 in stock on Monday, but said some may be reserved.

There's good deals on games on amazon.ie, compared to buying locally (prices on website in Sterling, but I have checked exchange rate, and the following are in Euro), I like that there's a lot of reviews with each product:

Just Dance3 18
    Just Dance Kids 18
    Fantastic pets 12
    Dance Central2 29
    Disneyland 32
    Kinect Sports2 32
    Fifa 2012 20
    Sesame Street 35
    Zumba1 32
    Kinectimals (with bears- newer version) 41.

if you want to support local, I thought the following were good prices:

Just Dance3: 25 (Smyths)
    Just Dance kids: 22 (Game Stop) 25 (Smyths)
    Nick Dance: 30 on Amazon, in Game Stop, and in Smyths.

Smyths was out of Sports Season 1&2, and Kinectimals.

I've been looking around a bit more

HMV Galway is sold out of the 250g bundle and the kinect on its own, so only offering 4g for 279 - 20 cheaper than most places BTW.

PC World have 250g kinect bundle plus Sports1 and a HDMI cable (worth 20 Euro) for 349. Staff member said that Curry's would have the same offer because they're all connected. So ask about it if going to Curry's, coz when I went in I was only offered the basic deal...

Smyths are not offering as good a deal on their website as in the store BTW, not giving any additional game away online (kinect comes with Kinect Adventures as standard)...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,918 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Smyths - in store - 250gb with Kinect and a choice of 3 ( out of 5 )Kinect games for 349 seems to be one of the best value bundles around at the moment. You get 2 five euro vouchers aswell in the bundle so the HDMI cable wil be a fiver less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

I just got a 2nd hand Kinect from Gamestop.ie with a game delivered for under 80 euro not bad if you ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

I got me an Xbox slim w/ 250GB hard drive for 197 delivered from Currys on their January sale.
    The kinect bundle with the standard game is 135 there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

rgiller wrote: »
    I've had one sitting under the tv for almost a year now, pretty much unused. When are they going to release a shooter/adventure game for this that's worth playing?

Looking forward when this is released: http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/8229642/Tom-Clancy-Ghost-Recon-Future-Soldier/Product.html?searchtype=gameall&searchsource=0&searchstring=tom+clancy&urlrefer=search&strefer=gameall&searchfilters=s%7btom+clancy%7d%2bc%7b362%7d%2b

also if/when Star Wars Kinect comes out!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

They really have to release a police 24/7 (i think thats what its called) arcade game. It was like time crisis but instead of pressing a button to duck in a predefined location it tracks your movements. and when you duck it ducks.

smacked my head off a pool table years ago ducking and rolling the wrong way.

and i had this chat on here before would you play with a control or light gun in a kinect game. i was told it would defeat the purpose but i think it would work really well with light gun games or driving games (always nicer at least having a plastic steering wheel even to know where your hands are)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

Game / Gamestation in the UK have Kinect plus two new games (from a limited list), I picked up Forza 4 and Fifa 12 with the Kinect for £102.95 delievered. I guess this is a little over €115.

Linky:
    http://www.gamestation.co.uk/gs/kinect-with-kinect-adventures-forza-4-and-fifa-12-159563?categoryIdentifier=12655

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

i bought one of the zooms for kinect on gamestop.ie

i want to give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

dunworth1 wrote: »
    i bought one of the zooms for kinect on gamestop.ie

i want to give it a go

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/20/nyko-zoom-for-kinect-hands-on/

seems to do what it says on the tin/box

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭mikka631

Kinect is only 99.99 in Game Store in Blanchardstown centre today

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

danniemcq wrote: »
    got it today
    first impressions seem good can move around the dashboard fine and can see myself smaller in the little window.

my kniect is above my tv mounted

• Advertisement
Advertisement