Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planting spruce as a souce of fuel

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭locky76

the land is at a small price as it doesn't have the critical mass to attract new buyers in and the people bounding the land aren't interested. It's in corcus land where the land was divided to people from three or four parishes in the locality. The land looks fine to me, a little heavy but grows grass well.
    hear hear, majority of sites start off with no more than 4 or 5 suitable species, another 2 or 3 could possibly be stuck in as minor species

mossad do you not think op would be better off sticking to a relatively straightforward species selection i.e just the two species? seen as its only 5 acres? if it was 50 acres i wouldn't be as worried about sticking in 4 or 5 different blocks... and seen as hes doing the work himself, he would avoid complicating it with different species perhaps requiring different fertiliser (seen as its a marginal site)

also i know you're well qualified to mention the acid sensitivity! any luck with your own situation?

the reason i ask the op where is the land is because it popped into my head that.....if it was good enough to cut silage off it (i know that doesnt mean its by any means great) then im a little surprised by €2200 per acre......leads me to believe there is a hidden issue here i.e acid sensitive, hen harrier, pearl mussel etc etc

again i'll repeat...never NEVER purchase land for planting without getting the technical approval from the department first

Advertisement