Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computer Science VS B.I.S. ?

• 30-10-2011 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I am currently in 6th year and I am thinking about taking one of these courses next year but I havn't a clue which one to go for. I would really appreciate if someone could clear up a few things for me.

In regards to B.I.S., is there an awful lot of Business and not much computing? I am really interested in computers and technology but I only did Business Studies up until my Junior Cert. I never had a problem with Business in Junior Cert but I didn't keep it on due to subjects clashing. If there is anyone who has studied/is studying BIS it would be great if you could let me know exactly what you study in first year.

In regards to Computer Sci. I have heard it is a really tough course and I have no knowledge of programming, so would i be totally out of my depth?

And in regards to job opportunities afterwards, everyone I have ever talked to about BIS always mentions the great range of jobs available for graduates, but is this actually true?

In comparison, some people have told me that Comp. Sci. is a qualification which becomes outdated very quickly because of the speed the world of technology changes and so securing a job is not as easy!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

chiefwm wrote: »
    I am currently in 6th year and I am thinking about taking one of these courses next year but I havn't a clue which one to go for. I would really appreciate if someone could clear up a few things for me.

In regards to B.I.S., is there an awful lot of Business and not much computing? I am really interested in computers and technology but I only did Business Studies up until my Junior Cert. I never had a problem with Business in Junior Cert but I didn't keep it on due to subjects clashing. If there is anyone who has studied/is studying BIS it would be great if you could let me know exactly what you study in first year.

In regards to Computer Sci. I have heard it is a really tough course and I have no knowledge of programming, so would i be totally out of my depth?

And in regards to job opportunities afterwards, everyone I have ever talked to about BIS always mentions the great range of jobs available for graduates, but is this actually true?

In comparison, some people have told me that Comp. Sci. is a qualification which becomes outdated very quickly because of the speed the world of technology changes and so securing a job is not as easy!

Regarding CS, I wouldn't worry about the programming too much. They teach everything from scratch, obviously knowing it beforehand would be beneficial, but it is not needed at all.
    As far as I know, it's fairly easy to get a job as well when you're done.

Don't know about BIS sorry. I found this, not sure if it'll be any help for you though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 irishlurker

Well , for my two cents worth (extrememly biased....) , Computer science on a whole is a really well rounded course. You get alot of extra options (maths/languages) and the lecturers are all amazing.

The programming + web stuff starts small and really picks up to where you will have a good working knowledge of web (html,css,php ,javascript,jquery) and the basic building blocks of progamming (done through php). You DO NOT need any skills entering the course. Everything is spoon fed , you just need some enthusiasm and good attendance.

All of this has been said before.Jobs will be thrown at you....

I knew a guy who did BIS in CIT and he said the most valuable thing they learnt was SQL , which also is thrown in with CS :)

Not shooting BIS down by any means!

edit - with regard to your skill set being outdated , this is untrue , some skills / languages / OS's never die. You will be employable!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭whatislife

I'm in first year BIS program.

Of the 9 or so modules i only like 1 and that is the Programming module. I'm rubbish at it but find it very interesting and the lecturer keeps you interested during his lecture.

All the business/accounting modules are boring as sin in my opinion. I was good at business and interested in computers which is why I chose to do this course, however so far I have found it very very tedious.

I'm thinking about switching to arts at the end of the year if I'm still not getting anything out of the course.

Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

Who is your Programming Lecturer out of interest???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Having done both courses (CS Degree, Masters in BIS) I would say the courses are very different even though they look quite similar.

Computer Science teaches more towards the fundamentals of computing whereas BIS teaches enough computing to work in IT albeit not in a very technical role (developer). The difference for me is the business knowledge that BIS gives you. I considered CS to be a little one dimensional in that you learn an awful lot of good stuff in great detail but the area of learning in which you do so is very specific.

Fair enough you could say that BIS teaches a little of everything but a lot of nothing in particular but I would argue that they produce more rounded grads as a result.

Saying that in a straight interview between a CS grad and a BIS one, and IT company would probably value the skill set of the CS grad more where a financial or consultancy company would probably prefer the BIS grad.

I think it comes down to what field you want to work in and how much interest you have in computing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

x43r0 wrote: »
    Having done both courses (CS Degree, Masters in BIS) I would say the courses are very different even though they look quite similar.

Computer Science teaches more towards the fundamentals of computing whereas BIS teaches enough computing to work in IT albeit not in a very technical role (developer). The difference for me is the business knowledge that BIS gives you. I considered CS to be a little one dimensional in that you learn an awful lot of good stuff in great detail but the area of learning in which you do so is very specific.

Fair enough you could say that BIS teaches a little of everything but a lot of nothing in particular but I would argue that they produce more rounded grads as a result.

Saying that in a straight interview between a CS grad and a BIS one, and IT company would probably value the skill set of the CS grad more where a financial or consultancy company would probably prefer the BIS grad.

I think it comes down to what field you want to work in and how much interest you have in computing

Not too far off the mark. Also YES there are savage job prospects for BIS. Between results and Graduating this year I walked out of one full time job after being invited to interview for a second, both 35k+ Jobs.

maglite wrote: »
    Not too far off the mark. Also YES there are savage job prospects for BIS. Between results and Graduating this year I walked out of one full time job after being invited to interview for a second, both 35k+ Jobs.

+1 on the job front I secured the job I'm in now in December last year (2 months into the masters). The BIS factor really greased the wheels when it came to the application/interview process

Circa 45k job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

As others have said, it depends on what type of IT you think you might like to work in? BIS is, as the name suggests, more business oriented. You mention you didn't have any problem studying business at Junior Cert level, but dropped it for LC - did you enjoy it, find it interesting? BIS tends to steer towards more consultant type roles, and CS tend to be more hands on R&D.

If you want to develop and 'make stuff' - CS, hands down! If you want to wear suits and be a manager type in IT related companies, do BIS lol

I'm a veteran of the CS Dept in UCC, there over 7 years now. It is a great course, and has really progressed. I have taught on the two computer courses in UL also, and I think the UCC one really has a lot to offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Who is your Programming Lecturer out of interest???

The programming lecturer is Jeremy Hayes, he teaches Visual Basic in first year.

OP, on that topic, from my own experience, and from what I have heard/read on here, Jeremy Hayes has always been willing to meet with potential BIS students, as he is also the first year co-ordinator. He has an account here, and used to check this forum regularly enough, not sure if he still does.

You can have a look at this too http://bis.ucc.ie/Prospective_students.aspx

I'm in second year, and while I find some parts of the course tedious enough, it is certainly well rounded. There are great job opportunites in BIS, i saw something online recently, can't remember where, it was a follow on survey for people who graduated in 2009, I think. ~90 students replied, (out of about 120ish i would imagine) and only one of those that replied was seeking work. If i can find the link again, ill post it here.

The programming aspects of the course are my favourite, and I do wonder If I would have been better suited at times to doing CS, but at the same time, there is nothing stopping me from doing it in my own time..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Think these are the career employment rate links that insinkerator is thinking of:

BIS: http://www.ucc.ie/careers/fdr.php?isPostGraduate=0&facultyID=17&courseID=624&go=Go%21#s

Computer Science

CS joint Honours: http://www.ucc.ie/careers/fdr.php?isPostGraduate=0&facultyID=9&courseID=1214&go=Go%21#s

CS joint Single Honours: http://www.ucc.ie/careers/fdr.php?isPostGraduate=0&facultyID=9&courseID=1202&go=Go%21#s

You can just view the pdf files for each year of the courses regarding the survey of employment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I'm a ComSci graduate, over a decade ago, and my younger brother did the BIS course. There is a lot of overlap. Both of us are employed in decent paying jobs. He is in the media industry now, and I am in pharma.

I wouldn't worry about the skills dating in either course. You keep yourself up to date in industry with your experience.

I took economics and management modules in the computer science course, and he took programming courses in BIS, so there is flexibilty in both.

At the time, the BIS class sizes were huge, and quite diverse levels of interest in programming, and computer science smaller and more focused, but that may not still be the case. We both made lifelong friends in both courses.

I have to say I LOVE the new computer science building, not that it should make any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

440Hz wrote: »
    As others have said, it depends on what type of IT you think you might like to work in? BIS is, as the name suggests, more business oriented. You mention you didn't have any problem studying business at Junior Cert level, but dropped it for LC - did you enjoy it, find it interesting? BIS tends to steer towards more consultant type roles, and CS tend to be more hands on R&D.

If you want to develop and 'make stuff' - CS, hands down! If you want to wear suits and be a manager type in IT related companies, do BIS lol

I'm a veteran of the CS Dept in UCC, there over 7 years now. It is a great course, and has really progressed. I have taught on the two computer courses in UL also, and I think the UCC one really has a lot to offer.
    don't mean to be negative to the OP but as a student doing CS in UCC i find it very badly organized. so much miscommunication, not only between staff and students but between staff themselves. a lot doesn't seem organized or even well thought out.

that being said i'd always chose CS as a course over BIS. either way there are plenty of jobs in both.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 irishlurker

EyeSight wrote: »
    don't mean to be negative to the OP but as a student doing CS in UCC i find it very badly organized. so much miscommunication, not only between staff and students but between staff themselves. a lot doesn't seem organized or even well thought out.

I have a similar opinion.....care to elaborate on your experience?

EyeSight wrote: »

I would echo this to an extent

In terms of organization, BIS are light years ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭BazDel

BIS

I started BIS this year. The programming module is also my favourite. We are learning Visual Basic at the moment. It isn't too tricky and the pace isn't a problem if you put in some effort. We haven't covered much in terms of internet development so far. Weve just finished the history and 'what makes up a computer' section. However it looks like it'll be getting better now as we are starting HTML.

Here are the subjects we do in first year:
    • Programming :D
    • Internet and Web Development :)
    • Management Information system and Systems Analysis and Design :)
    • Financial Accounting :cool:
    • Management Accounting :cool:
    • Psychology:(
    • Business Statistics:)
    • Economics:)
    • Management :) or (Marketing)
    (Smileys indicate what I think of each subject :p )

Op you said you did JC business. If you remember anything then both Accounting modules shouldn't be too bad. I did LC accounting and its very easy. As has been said the business subjects can be a bit dull at times. However the material isn't difficult.

So far I'm really enjoying the course. It's quite laid back at times and you are given plenty of time for assignments/projects. I have only had one Management literature review to hand in so far.

One massive plus in my opinion are the BIS staff. They are very helpful but attendance is very important. If you see yourself skipping lectures/labs often, BIS isn't the ideal choice. People have been spoken to about their attendance already. As far as I have heard BIS has one of the best prospects for graduates. Also in third year you can get work placement in the US.

Computer science

This paragraph is going to be very short as I don't do the course. However I have spoken to my friend who does do it. As far as it sounds I believe it is quite technical but would be good if you liked computers. At the moment they are developing web pages and making calculators in some strange complicated way. Apparently Skyrim is all they talk about these days :p

Locations
    Finally Computer science is based in the Western Gateway Building nearly all the time. We in BIS are all over the place for lectures but we are always near the main campus. If you like variety that might be another thing to consider :)

Advertisement