Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coopers Wheat Kit + other stuff +Questions??

Options
  • 30-10-2011 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭

Ok so started this out yesterday, a bit of a mixed bag but loosely based on a video FotoJoe put up (BrewtubeUK)

Battery on my weighing scales died so had to do a bit of guesstimations!!

Coopers Wheat Tin
    Safbrew T-58 YEast
    1Kg Barley Medium spray malt (had this for a stout but tin was out of date)
    200gm Brew Sugar (Approx!)
    Honey (bout 2 squeezes)
    25gm Corriander (roasted and crushed)
    30gm compressed Sazz hops
    About 20gm fancy 'Fuchon' tea that tastes like birthday cake (why not)
    20L water (11L Spring water +remaining 9 normal tapwater)

Boiled up coriander,sazz hops, spraymalt + brewsugar and honey for 15 mins.Then chucked it all in together then added yeast. at about 28deg.

OG reading 1042 so added in about 100gm more brew sugar for a bit extra..
    Bubbling away nicely with foamy head.. steady room temp of 20deg

I think that medium spraymalt was a bit too strong so probably negated any of the other flavours I added though..

Questions
    Anyone any ideas what to do with spare Sazz hops leftover (about 80gm)?

Would people chuck the sazz in a couple of days before bottling? I've heard it can soak up a lot of beer..

Or how about boiling some the Sazz hops seperately with brew sugar for the batch priming?

I've heard a few people say that they hold off on some of the sugars until after the second day of initial fermentation so it doesn't make things 'too easy' for the yeast,, what's that all about?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

Just chuck the pellet? saaz hops in a week before bottling. Not sure if its worth using a sanitised muslin bag for pellet hops, but would use one for whole hops. Most if not all of the pellet hops should sink to the bottom after a week. Any pellet hop bits left floating are not really a problem and might only get into the last few bottles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Armelodie wrote: »

Questions
    Anyone any ideas what to do with spare Sazz hops leftover (about 80gm)?

Would people chuck the sazz in a couple of days before bottling? I've heard it can soak up a lot of beer..

Or how about boiling some the Sazz hops seperately with brew sugar for the batch priming?

I've heard a few people say that they hold off on some of the sugars until after the second day of initial fermentation so it doesn't make things 'too easy' for the yeast,, what's that all about?

Stick the hops in the freezer and they'll be good for ages, even use some of them in your out-of-date stout!

Boiling the hops with the sugar will extract flavour, and you've plenty of flavour already with the 30g already used, Id throw 20g of saaz into fermenter after 4 days for dry-hopping. (I dry hopped my IPA today, I put my pellets into a sanitised muslin bag as I found the leafs and stuff a pain when syphoning before, not nesscerary though).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

This stuff is pretty nice,, will defo do it again...
    I was a bit heavy handed with the sugar (even with priming)but it paid off in the end (about a nice 5% beer)..

Advertisement