Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

secondary insulation for double height hall?

• 30-10-2011 1:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭

hi,
    i have a 9m long x 1m wide double height hallway, with windows along the top.
    there are bare rafters going across the hall. the house is difficult to heat because when the doors to the rooms open the heat goes straight up to the top of the hallway.

i want to add some form of clear secondary insulation, as i need to allow light in still. i would also like to be able to remove these sheets during the summer.

i was thing of using something like 10mm twin wall polycarbonate sheets and magnetic tape???

any thoughts or opinions would be great.

thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

kindalen wrote: »
    hi,
    i have a 9m long x 1m wide double height hallway, with windows along the top.
    there are bare rafters going across the hall. the house is difficult to heat because when the doors to the rooms open the heat goes straight up to the top of the hallway.

i want to add some form of clear secondary insulation, as i need to allow light in still. i would also like to be able to remove these sheets during the summer.

i was thing of using something like 10mm twin wall polycarbonate sheets and magnetic tape???

any thoughts or opinions would be great.

thanks.
    sounds like you want a cheap solution.. I don't think there is one

if your house is hard to heat, then insulated it & put in better windows

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

How about one of these not the best looking thing but might work.:)
    http://www.ribaproductselector.com/Product.aspx?ci=5215&pr=MonodraughtLtd-HeatHarvester

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭kindalen

BryanF wrote: »
    sounds like you want a cheap solution.. I don't think there is one

if your house is hard to heat, then insulated it & put in better windows

have new windows and all of house well insulated, except walls above hall.

what i'm trying to do is reduce the volume of air to be heated, and reduce heat loss from other rooms. However i need to keep natural light, hence the polycarbonate.

thanks for advice.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

kindalen wrote: »
    have new windows and all of house well insulated, except walls above hall.

what i'm trying to do is reduce the volume of air to be heated, and reduce heat loss from other rooms. However i need to keep natural light, hence the polycarbonate.

thanks for advice.
    it may cause condensation issues and will look crap, is there anyway you can insulate the hall walls? maybe get an air-tightness test carried out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

BryanF wrote: »
    maybe get an air-tightness test carried out?

My thoughts exactly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

As noted by BF, polyc will look crap.

Any chance of a few pictures so as we can get a feel for the makeup of the 9m on both sides.
    Are the rafters u mention in slope of roof or horizontal at wall plate level.

I would be thinking of toughened 6mm glass hinged on one side in a stainless steel, or white alu frame, perhaps at 1m centers and when they hinge down they sit on draft excluder tape for an air tight finish and a soft seating.

They dont all need to be hinged....

However as also noted you will need top consider ventilation of the space above, both is winter and summer for overheating, depending on aspect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭kindalen

thanks all for the responses, never thought of condensation.
    will look into insulating the upper walls, one side is external and the other is attic wall. rafters are at normal ceiling height, then about another 5m to apex of roof.
    will get a photo and stick it on here, but wont be home for few days.
    from looking at this last year i think the attic side wall is cavity block and the side with windows, which allow light into hall, is solid 4" block.
    will look into getting an air tightness test too.

thanks again for advice.

Advertisement