Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tillage costs

• 30-10-2011 2:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭

I'm hoping to get some sound advise from experienced tillage men,

I am planning to take over my father's land which is currently rented as grazing land. I am hoping to start farming it (part-time) myself as have done in past and hoping to grow corn. I have a good tractor and most machienery required but no seeddrill, sprayer or combine. Could anyone tell me does it pay to own your own combine for 100 acres and how much would be worth investing into a machine for that volume of work. I have no idea what contractors charge per acre at present but I am aware of the difficulty getting a contractor to harvest exactly when the weather is right. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭ihatetractors

Hi, prices worked out some where around €180/acre for spray/fert up for some/ down for poorer crops, depends on lime/ crop etc, we grow alot of Malt barley so is a bit artifischaly low . Machinery €120/ per acre cereals all in, Osr €80. (Figuires not accurate for 2011*)
    Would be a good job if you had a local farmer who has a larger combine and could cope with extra acerage you could come to a mutualy beneficial agreement/ There's plenty of older classes/ claysons lying about for good money say 4k?, be ready for some needed work though! . Don't go buying anything new/shiney/expensive, get soil samples done as soil may have been neglected for some elements/ lime.. Remember beans/ osr can be part of a good rotation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭susign

Thanks for the feedback, you clearly keep a good eye on your figures!
    I agree with you entirely with the keeping away from the all flash/no cash approach when investing in machinery as my output will be conciderably low compared to the big boys.

Did you include your diesel costs in those figures?

Advertisement