Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good restaurants in Galway with kids for dinner

Options
  • 30-10-2011 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭

Spending 4 nights in Galway City with wife and kids next week. Looking for good restaurant recommendations for good quality dinners in evenings.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Milano on Middle Street is perfect for children, lots of pasta and pizza http://www.milano.ie/

Kelly's bar on Bridge Street is also very kid friendly and they do kids portions of everything on their menu! I bring my daughter there a lot, they serve food until 8pm. http://www.kellysbar.ie/

What age are your children?
    Here's a list of some other child friendly restaurants:
    http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurants-g186609-Galway_County_Galway.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

I love the title of this thread.

W.C.Fields once said " I'm very fond of children but I couldn't eat a whole one".

(Sorry but couldn't resist it :D).

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman Resu

I love the title of this thread.

W.C.Fields once said " I'm very fond of children but I couldn't eat a whole one".

(Sorry but couldn't resist it :D).

Don't know if it's the season that's in it, too much "The walking dead" or the fact I saw "The road" for the first time recently but that's exactly how I read it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Galleon in Salthill is perfect. Plain food done well and is well priced. Not fancy but very clean and food of delish.

Milano is a firm favourite with my kids. Always a safe bet.

Thai Garden in the city centre also cater for kids if you like that sort of food. It is MSG free and apart from the cost of drinks (alcohol and soft drinks), it is reasonably priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tootired

Gourmet tart in Salthill is good for dinner - maybe check if they can do kids food in the evening. They seem to not mind if people call in for a coffee and cake during dinner service, so I can't see them not catering for kids. It's v reasonably priced and dinner starts at 6ish?? check the website to be sure.
    The Oslo across the road from Gourmet Tart is a pub but does decent grub and caters for kids during the day, again if you have food before kid chucking out time(can't remember if it's 8 or 9) it should be no problem.
    Milano's in town is very good for kids too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Thanks everyone.

Is there a more local version of Milano? Agree it is good spot for kids but its a chain that we can eat at any-time. What's the good Galway pizza place?

Kelly's look good. Might check that out.

Gourmet tart does look good too!

Thanks again - looking forward to our trip.

PS: kids are all under the age of 8

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mapvil

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Is there a more local version of Milano? Agree it is good spot for kids but its a chain that we can eat at any-time. What's the good Galway pizza place?

Recommend Da Roberta in Salthill (www.darobertasalthill.com). They have two restaurants - with the kids I would suggest the Pizzeria rather than L'Osteria.

Monroe's pizzas sometimes get good reviews on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Robertas is gorgeous but can be pretty pricey especially for a family..although you probably won't mind when you're on holidays!
    Capones in Knocknacarra is good too, very spacious (Robertas can be very cramped at busy times and there's no privacy to have a chat when there's tables full of people every side of you!) There's always families up there and they're very accommodating. It's more casual than Robertas and easy on the pocket!

Back in town, Lemongrass and Thai Garden are good kid friendly options for Asian food and Maxwells opposite Brown Thomas is a good all-rounder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Been in most of those mentioned with the kids so can recommend them. The Asian tea house is excellent and Lohans in Salthill too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I would recommend Massimo's. It's fast becoming a new favourite for me in Galway, the kitchen was recently taken over by the lads behind Cava and Anair and they are dishing out some amazing food ad really good value, right up there with Eight, Kai and Anair in terms of originality and flavour.
    They have basic options (fish and chips, burger, both fantastic) right up to Wild Venison Fillet with Truffle Mash and everything in between.

Very well priced too.

Menu stolen from their facebook page.

314316_10150895787745076_244373110075_21288075_619608348_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Seaneh wrote: »
    I would recommend Massimo's. It's fast becoming a new favourite for me in Galway, the kitchen was recently taken over by the lads behind Cava and Anair and they are dishing out some amazing food ad really good value, right up there with Eight, Kai and Anair in terms of originality and flavour.
    They have basic options (fish and chips, burger, both fantastic) right up to Wild Venison Fillet with Truffle Mash and everything in between.

Very well priced too.

Menu stolen from their facebook page.

314316_10150895787745076_244373110075_21288075_619608348_n.jpg

Yum but oh nooooooo! Chips in duckfat! There go the veggies Wonder if you can get non duck-chips, think I'll ask as the menu looks fab!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I am fairly sure if you aksed they would sort something out for you, they have a fair few options which are meat free.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Seaneh wrote: »
    I am fairly sure if you aksed they would sort something out for you, they have a fair few options which are meat free.

Chiiiiiips! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

I love Massimos for pints must check out the food there as that menu looks great!, If your around that neck of the woods check the Galway Arms out if your hungry, had a great feed in there a few weeks back.

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

scottys on headford road, its designed with kids in mind, and the foods good too

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Thanks everyone.

Kelly's look good. Might check that out.

Gourmet tart does look good too!

Thanks again - looking forward to our trip.

PS: kids are all under the age of 8

I think a more local version of milanos could be a place called fat freddy's. It's been a while since I've been there but it was always really nice. They also have a kids menu.Its situated on quay street. Enjoy your time in Galway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

hi all

We are home again and had a great four nights in Galway. We ate two nights in the hotel (Carlton) which was really not bad for hotel food so pleasantly surprised.

We went out two nights into the City to eat. First we did Fat Freddy's which was really good. Pizza was excellent (very thin crispy crust) and the staff and service in place were brilliant. Very kid friendly with kids menu's, colouring and lollipops on way out.

The other night we ate at Cava which is a Spanish tapas restaurant which again was great for kids. No kids menu, colouring, crayons, etc! but we find that tapas is brilliant for eating out with children so that worked out well too.

Hopefully this thread will be of use for other visitors. Wish we could have stayed longer as Galway is such a great place.

It is quite expensive if I remember correctly - around €2 for a bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

mapvil wrote: »
    Recommend Da Roberta in Salthill (www.darobertasalthill.com). They have two restaurants - with the kids I would suggest the Pizzeria rather than L'Osteria.

+1

What I was going to say. Albeit I always hire a babysitter as it's a bit of a occassion when we go out at all. That said, there are always families there and whether you go for the pizza or pasta they have been consistently good over the years.
    scottys on headford road, its designed with kids in mind, and the foods good too

Wow, good catch. Forgot about that one and that's spot on. American diner, a little expensive for a hamburger and the like, but big portions and tasty. I've heard they do good steaks too... some say best in Galway

It's a small drive but another family friendly place maybe for lunch (great chowder) is Padraicins located at furbo beach.

• Advertisement
Advertisement