Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tablet or Kindle

• 30-10-2011 3:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,547 ✭✭✭✭

have to buy an xmas present for a friend and I have been looking at Kindles and Android Tablets,I wouldnt have a clue about either device but from my reckoning a tablet would get much more use.Can anyone give me the pros and cons of each.I would be thinking of spending €100- €150.
    Also I was told you can pick up tablets on ebay for around €60,would they be any good and what are the main specs/features I should be looking for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭board.eddy

dont bother wasting your money on a tablet worth 150 quid, a decent one is 250 and up. spend the extra money and you will get a good tablet.
    i have the new toshiba at100, bought it in the states for 300 euro and well worth the money. it has a full size usb port which is not common in tablets and 16gb of memory.
    as for buying one for 60 quid off ebay, you might as well go to a river and throw your money in it..seriously go the extra mile and it will be worth it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭board.eddy

specs you need to watch out for..
    android 3.1 and up
    16gb memory and up
    usb port
    for me i'd want a 10 inch screen, 7 is too small
    bluetooth and a hdmi output would be nice but not essential

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,547 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

cheers for the reply.as I say I dont have clue about the devices.I started looking at Kindles and sort of got side tracked towards tablets.
    The person who im buying it for already has a laptop,if I got a tablet it would be used to watch films,internet browsing and as a ebook reader.not sure if it would be used for anything else tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭dhoun

I have a Kindle DX. Love it although it's not great for reading PDF files.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

A kindle is a completly different device to a tablet. I think you're looking for a tablet.

• Advertisement

dvpower wrote: »
    A kindle is a completly different device to a tablet. I think you're looking for a tablet.
    I know,I was looking at ebook readers and realised that a tablet would do the ebook thing and also have the extras.Not really sure what to do.Is a tablet ok to use as a ebook reader ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

My 2 cents - a tablet is not an ebook reader. They are 2 totally different devices.

What are the requirements for the present do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

yabadabado wrote: »
    Is a tablet ok to use as a ebook reader ?
    No. a tablet is OK for short form reading (newpaper articles, blogs...), but for reading books, the Kindle is much, much better.

I have an iPad, my husband has a kindle, if you want it mainly for reading books, get the kindle, it's a fantastic item. Reading from the ipad is ok but isn't good long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

If its a present - then

To buy a decent tablet you need to spend more than 300 (at least)

A kindle (all of them really) are top of the range e-readers (e-ink not lcd) and you'll get one for little over 100.

I would say go with the kindle - and if you want to spend 300 euros - give them a 200 euro voucher to go towards a tablet as well.

Buying a tablet its going to be a personal choice and difficult to buy one that someone is completely happy with (unless you throw 500 or 600 euro at it in terms of buying). I know that I wouldn't buy one for someone else anyways :-)

• Advertisement

cheers for thr replies.think I will go with the Kindle.

Advertisement