Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

subject choices for primary teaching

• 30-10-2011 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

im in ty now and thinking of doing national teaching. which subjects will i need for 5th year??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

malascoile wrote: »
    im in ty now and thinking of doing national teaching. which subjects will i need for 5th year??

All you need is English, Irish and Maths. If you want to be the best teacher you can i'd do History, Geography, a language, and something that will help with teaching, like music, art, maybe home ec. Avoid construction, engineering, dcg, business and science subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭malascoile

do they all need to be higher level and do you need a language for Mary I

You need a Higher C3 in Irish a higher D3 in Engish and a D3 in ordinary Maths and a Higher C3 in a language.

If your not doing all higher lever theres not a chance youll get the points anyway, youd need all Bs at higher level to get enough points, if you get a few As though that would give you some room in other subjects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭Cailin CoisFarraige

Irish is the only language you NEED for Mary I. If you want to study a language as your minor arts degree, you'll need either French or German, however it is likely that the arts component of the primary teaching course will be gotten rid of by the time you get there anyways.

Since you don't need any specific extra subject to get into the course, Science, Business etc., my advice would be to stick to subjects you enjoy and you're good at, in order to get the points requirement. I agree that Music, Art etc look good on a CV, but you'll have a chance to study these in college anyways, so only go with them if you think they'll help you get the points.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

If I had a free choice of my subjects again (I'm doing PT now), I'd choose

English
    Irish
    Maths
    History
    Geography
    Music / Art
    Physics

But it doesn't really matter what subjects you do as long as you have HL Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

GarIT wrote: »
    All you need is English, Irish and Maths. If you want to be the best teacher you can i'd do History, Geography, a language, and something that will help with teaching, like music, art, maybe home ec. Avoid construction, engineering, dcg, business and science subjects.

Science is taught in primary school now. Not quite so useless.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

And the primary science curriculum involves an awful lot of physics - light, heat sound, magnetism, electricity and forces. You need to have a good knowledge of JC science at least to be able to teach these. They require specific knowledge - light travels in straight lines, circuits, conductors, batteries, heat transfer etc. A lot of which I had to learn (or relearn) for college exams.

Science is taught in primary school now. Not quite so useless.
    dambarude wrote: »
    And the primary science curriculum involves an awful lot of physics - light, heat sound, magnetism, electricity and forces. You need to have a good knowledge of JC science at least to be able to teach these. They require specific knowledge - light travels in straight lines, circuits, conductors, batteries, heat transfer etc. A lot of which I had to learn (or relearn) for college exams.

Yeah, I have to agree with both of yous there, but disagree too, I feel JC science is enough. Yeah light heat sound and everything are in primary schools now but its not to a leaving cert standard. I'd feel if any science subject do Physics, if you had to you might find some use for biology, but definately not Chem it would be completely useless in primary teaching. I also think that history, geog, music, art or a language would be more benificial than a science.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

GarIT wrote: »
    Yeah, I have to agree with both of yous there, but disagree too, I feel JC science is enough. Yeah light heat sound and everything are in primary schools now but its not to a leaving cert standard. I'd feel if any science subject do Physics, if you had to you might find some use for biology, but definately not Chem it would be completely useless in primary teaching. I also think that history, geog, music, art or a language would be more benificial than a science.

None of the subjects you mention are taught to leaving cert standard either so I don't see how they would be of any greater benefit. From what I remember of primary school geography was largely learning counties, rivers, mountains, countries and capitals. Art was largely painting and make and do type stuff. Arguably you could teach any subject in primary school with junior cert knowledge.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Art and Geography have changed a lot since then!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement