Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone Shot/Chrono'd RWS Ammo?

Options
  • 30-10-2011 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭

I know RWS have a bit of a reputation for loading hot, but on the website, they have to be fluffing up their figures a bit. Was looking at their .270 loads, and they have a 150gr listed at 2980 fps. That'd be a stout handload for a .30-06! They list a 130gr soft point at 3220! If those figures are realistic however, it puts most things out there to shame. Anyone able to verify their data?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

Have shot only RWS in one of my rifles (few companies load for it). But have shot some in 270 Winchester also, have not chronograph'd them but for what its worth, in my rifle, when compared to same bullet weights in various US made ammo RWS stuff is louder, maybe a bit more recoil but defiantly prints higher & less drop way out so defiantly faster. But by how much? don't know. Their bullets work very well on game too.

Don't really think its a case of RWS loading hot rather than loading closer to a cartridges true design potential. Most US loaded ammo has been under-loaded for decades due to fear of being sued. From old data for the 270 Winchester, it used to be loaded a lot faster by US companies 50/60 years ago than it is now.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

Advertisement