Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing small amounts from China

Options
  • 30-10-2011 5:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭

Hope someone can give me advise. I want to import small amounts from China ( a few light weight boxes to begin with). I've ordered the product several times for personal use and had no trouble from customs. I know that once I order a quantity for resale I'll need to pay duties.

1st Question: If I go ahead and order will the customs just give me a bill before they release the goods or will I need to contact them prior to order and submit documentation. To put things into some perspective my initial order will be aprx €300 worth. 2nd order will be aprx €1000 worth.

2nd Question: When I get to placing €5K orders would it be beneficial to pay someone to look after the importing? If so, can anyone recommend someone to do this and if you have any idea of fees I'd be grateful.

THANKS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 pandabear2011

what are you importing? just nosey?:)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Give this guy a pm and he will be able to tell you the fees involved etc

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=222187

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

Hope someone can give me advise. I want to import small amounts from China ( a few light weight boxes to begin with). I've ordered the product several times for personal use and had no trouble from customs. I know that once I order a quantity for resale I'll need to pay duties.

1st Question: If I go ahead and order will the customs just give me a bill before they release the goods or will I need to contact them prior to order and submit documentation. To put things into some perspective my initial order will be aprx €300 worth. 2nd order will be aprx €1000 worth.

2nd Question: When I get to placing €5K orders would it be beneficial to pay someone to look after the importing? If so, can anyone recommend someone to do this and if you have any idea of fees I'd be grateful.

THANKS

Hello Wicklowrider,

1) It depends on the mode of transport. If the goods arrive by courier (UPS/DHL etc) or An Post, the carrier will make a declaration to customs. They will settle the duty and VAT and present you with a bill for payment. If the goods arrive by seafreight or airfreight a formal entry needs to be presented. This is usually arranged by the agent who receives the shipment.

2) For larger orders I would recommend that you arrange the shipping from this side and agree FOB prices with your supplier(s). If you then get the details of the shipment (nr of pieces, weight and dimensions) you can get Irish Forwarders to quote you for the shipping, customs clearance and delivery.

I would refer to this post which goes into detail on how import duty and VAT is dealt with when goods arrive by post or courier : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055862554

Also have a look at the attached document.

One note of caution. If the goods are to be shipped by seafreight it is vital hat you take charge of the shipping process. Do not leave the shipping to your supplier. Have a look at these threads to give you a flavour of what happens if the (Chinese) supplier makes the arrangements : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61784728 (If you search the term : China Import Service Fee on boards.ie you see similar posts where people have run into this problem)

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance

Best regards,
    Rudolf289

Advertisement